iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bits and shanks

Started by bandmiller2, January 19, 2008, 11:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I have an inserted tooth headsaw that has shanks that look like pattern 3 but their not.The proper shanks are just a little larger than #3 and the bits have a short vee that fits into the shank vee.I hope their not the diston style made of unobtaniam,what do the distons look like??.Could they be 31/2?? thanks guys Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

There should be a number or letter stamped on the shank.  That will tell you the size of shank you need.  I think there is a 3 1/2.  The number shanks are for softwoods, the lettered ones are for hardwoods, or so it seems.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

StorminN

What's the measured diameter?

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

sawguyver

here is a bit off an old disston blade

and an other

bandmiller2

Sawguyver,my heart just dropped,thats what I have,guess I'am scrawed.Thanks for the photo Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawguyver

ahhh  smiley_crying I know the feeling

I'm keeping the old blade though. one day it might find a use.

If I ever talk to a saw dock I'm going to find out if the blade can be reworked to fit new shanks.
I'm thinking maybe they can regrind or something. And it might be an affordable option   :-\

Ron Wenrich

What they do is cut the saw down and recut the shank area.  In effect, you'll loose about 4-6" of saw.  It had better be a really good saw, since you won't be saving that much over a new one.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!