iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging 40ft + trees

Started by sbishop, January 19, 2008, 08:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi guys, this May I need to cut about a dozen 40ft purlins for the roof of my cabin. Last year I used my atv log arch to log 120 trees but they weren't the size compared to what i'm going to haul this year. I will be able to use my  truck with the log arch attached to haul this year, as the trees are pretty close to an old logging road. my question is anyone have any ideas on how I could  keep the back of the log a bit off the ground so it doesn't have too much drag marks? my log arch will only put the front of the log about 2ft or so off the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions

Sbishop

Craig

You could skid the trees out in whole tree form(tops still attached) then limb and top where they will be processed. Or you could put a second set of wheels on the trunk farther back.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Kevin

How much will be dragging, about one third?

It might not hurt to price out a local logging truck and get them all moved in one shot if the price is right.

Dakota

sbishop,
Here's how I solved that problem.  I built a little axel with a short tongue.  I used a 2 ton jack to jack one end of the log up enough to roll the axel under, then chained it up and hauled it up the sawmill with my atv.

Dave Rinker

submarinesailor

Dakota,

I hope you are on level ground.  We have something like that for use on fairly level ground.  But, if it has any real slope to it you better have a bigger machine or some type of brakes on it.  Too many times I have seen or been pushed down a hill by a heavy load – logs included.

Bruce

sbishop

dakota, that's what I was thinking of doing but wasn't sure if it would work..i'm on flat ground. how does it work when you turn?

Sbishop

Dakota

I need to describe one little detail that makes a big difference.  The short tongue has a short spike(sharpened bolt) sticking up toward the bottom of the log.  This is intended to pull up into the log when the tongue is bound to the tree.  The purpose is to keep the wheels and axle lined up with the log.  Without this little addition, the tongue wanders,  and after hitting a few rocks etc. the wheels are cock eyed to the log and won't follow properly.

I never attempt to take this up or down any kind of hill with an ATV.  I ususlly drag the log down out of the timber with the ATV and arch, to a safe place, and then attach the rear axle.
If it isn't pretty flat to the sawmill, I go get the pickup.

As long as the spike is pulled up into the log, keeping the axle straight, it pulls great.  You have to plan your corners though.  It trails like a semi trailer.  The arch acts like the 5th wheel, turning the front where you want to go with the rear axle swinging wide around the corners.
Dave Rinker

Furby

May I ask why you are cutting 40' purlins rather than splicing them?
Seems like you'll have a ton of trouble trying to keep them straight and keep them in one piece while installing.

shinnlinger

To sort of follow Furby's question, how are you going to mill them? 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sbishop

Furby, how would I splice together purlins? i'm assuming you would need some type support at each joint?

about milling the logs...i have 2 plans...either use my chain saw adapter or have a guy come in an mill them

The guy that milled my logs last year was able to mill 23 footers no problem and his sawmill can only handle 17ft. saw, slide them down, saw again. i'm hoping we can do it to 40ft, only need one cut

Sbishop

Furby

Hang on, I think I'm catching up to ya!
Log cabin with log perlins ???

I've had pole buildings on the brain and never gave thought to your building of a log cabin, sorry about that.

Not sure how big of logs you will be using, but if you are able to use your truck, I'd do something along these lines.
I'm assuming you don't have a new truck when I say this. ;)
You'll have to drag or winch the log to where the truck can get to it.
Back the truck up to the small end and then put the arch on backwards right near the truck.
Use the arch to lift the end of the log up while you chain it to your trailer hitch or whatever you chose.
Then remove the arch and move it towards the rear of the log.
You can go all the way to the far end, but I'd stay about 1 third up from the far end.
Lift the log and then with a chain or ratchet strap tie the tongue of the arch down to the log.
You need to be aware that you could damage your truck if you aren't careful, but for a dozen logs, I'd probly do it if the logs weren't monsters.

sbishop

furby, i'll try not to put a scratch on that old ford of mine  :D

i'll probrably using a what Dakota has. Seems to be the easiest way for me.

As long as I can get my truck close to the trees!

Sbishop

slowzuki

You may want to cut them now and get someone with an alpine or bearcat or skandic sled to drag them in the snow.  Years ago I watched a fellow with a little yamaha phazer sport sled drag some 40 ft maples out of the woods to a house for fire wood and they slid really well.   Of course he was big man and added some traction to the sled but I thought it was impressive.

mad dog

I own a log home with log purlins .the house is 38 feet long I t has a 6x 8 truss in the middle where the 18 foot log but. I would think You woud want to support the 40 ft. logs anyway. When I built my my garage I cut 50 trees and flattend one side with a bean machine.I used them for the purlins and for the second story floor joists.It was alot of work but the log home company(where I bought My house) wanted $2000 just for the purlins.

mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Thank You Sponsors!