iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Stihl 084

Started by peter nap, January 17, 2008, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

There's an 084 in the Trading Post this week for $700.00. Says it comes with  3' and 4' bars and claims it can "Pull a 6' bar".

Everything I know about the 084 has been good but I'm a little Leary about buying a used saw.  $700 also seems a little pricey unless it's in really good shape.

Any thoughts on price and what should I look for to see what condition.

Just a side note. I look through the tools section every week and it looks like every week I see more tradesmen selling tools. Been there and done that when I was building and the bottom dropped out.....It's a sad thing to see :'(

Dave Shepard

I see this trend as well. All summer there have been 1-3 skidders in the WantAd. Usually the price of logs starts to go up after thanksgiving, this year it started to drop. Starting in mid December, the number of skidders rose to about 10-12 every week. :( Not a good sign.

I don't know what an 084 is worth, but a new MS880 is more than double that with a couple of new bar and chain combos.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

$700 is pretty stiff for any used saw regardless of condition. $500 would be tops for a primo 084 then only if you really need it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Greenskeeper

I sell  a few saws on E-Bay and $700.00 with bars and chains aint all bad.Besides its a Stihl it will run forever.At a local auction here in Michigan last month I saw one go for $1050.00 seem to run good,looked beat up.

sawguy21

$1050 ??? :o The seller must have been laughing all the way to the bank.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

peter nap

:D :D :DIt was Ebay.....I bought a few Cannon camera lens at a Government auction once. Paid $50.00 for a box of them. I put them on Ebay one at a time and one brought $2200.00 and another went for #1050.00.

If you put a high enough price and don't care if it sells, some *DanG fool will buy it! :)

Cut4fun

I have priced used 084's that was low on compression and they go for $400-$475 + shipping.
New topends kits are around $250-$350 depending on where you get the kit, Stihl dealers being the most costly.
Most good ready to go stock runners seem to be in the $700-$850 price range PHO.
I do happen to know where there is a good runner that has been woods ported for $800 + shipping.
I own 2 084's and follow the prices very closely. I like the less weight of the 084 20.7 LBS PHO over the heavier 22.3 LBS PHO $1600 MS880 also. JMO.
Go try it out if you can, the bars and chains alone cost you a leg on the big mount stihls.

Dave Shepard

PHO meaning Power Head Only?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

oldsaw

Big saws don't come cheap.  If it's in good shape with decent bars, it's not a bad price.  Big bars don't come cheap either.  Nor do big chains...I just bought 500 links...2 for 36", 2 for 42".  "Ben" is in my rear view mirror...North of a "C" note.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Cut4fun

Thank You Sponsors!