iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roasted Wood?

Started by Brad_S., January 16, 2008, 11:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I just saw this article on roasted wood. I've seen it done accidently in a vacumn kiln, but never thought it would be done on purpose. smiley_speechless
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/12/11/what-kind-of-wood-is-this/

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Max sawdust

Yup,
Had a Finnish friend tell me about it a year ago.  (He was trying to talk me into roasting wood here in the USA).  Notice the link in the article says heating to high temps is used to preserve the wood.  It is my understanding that in Scandinavia Green treat wood is non existent.  Everything is heat treated for outdoor use.  No chemicals, great color, very good preservative qualities.

I suspect it will catch on in the states.  Now as far as making fine furniture outa cooked wood.. :o :D ;)

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

beenthere

I'd make a guess that the structural integrity of this roasted wood will be lost, and it would be very weak..limits the applications. i.e. can't be a substitue for a table leg or a for treated construction wood.

Maybe I missed that in the info out so far.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kcwoodbutcher

The report I heard was that the wood was weakened greatly, the biggest reason it hasn't caught on in the US.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

SwampDonkey

Just looking at the flat sawn surface you could tell it was maple or birch. The end grain pic is kind of useless though, not enough close detail.

Says in the article they are using it for wood working projects.

According to the treatment website.

Depending on species and process used:

- The material is more brittle.

- surface tension increases so you can't treat it like regular unfinished wood.

- Special glues need to be used.

- higher rot resistance, but can soak up 20 % when submerged in water.

- Shrinkage is less, by what factor it depends on species.

- the treatment is detrimental to hardwood, mostly considered for aspen, soft maple, softwood.

Looks like a specialty market to me and you have to know what your doing because the wood properties change differently depending on species. Sounds too sophisticated. I'm not interested.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Read the link, yeah,..............."new and improved", recently discovered, aboriginal blah blah, Didn't settlers in this country char their fence posts that went into the ground to preserve them?  I have heard the practice from numerous old, old timers. They did it only to the portion which was in the ground.  Sorry to be so, "no big deal", about this, but it gets me how it is all the sudden "newly discovered".

Ironwood, and yes, I have inadvertantly roasted some wood, usually around 350-400 (when it is not under vaccum that is the spontaneaous combustion point ;D)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

PC-Urban-Sawyer

My Dad and I once made a dining room set from some fence-row cherry that had been "slow-roasted" by the farmer who hired us to make the set. He had cut down the trees while expanding a couple of pastures. He got the logs milled into lumber at a local sawmill in Live Oak, FL. Then to dry the lumber he stacked it in a flue-cured tobacco barn. He used the tobacco "sticks" as stickers and then cranked the barn  heater system up to "high" and cooked it for about a week! Temps must have been at least two-fifty degrees most of the time but he wanted to make sure it was good and dry!

That was some of the hardest wood I have ever seen. We went through at least three sets of knives for our planer. It was so hard that my Dad gave up when it came time to make the chairs and told him he'd have to go buy some...

Thank You Sponsors!