iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your opinion please....

Started by Mindy, January 16, 2008, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindy

I am building a website for Stump-Branch Logging, one of the logging companys filmed for the History Channel series "Axe Men."  I know the History Channel will do an excellent job on their end. The show begins airing in March

I would like anyone's input on the site, keep in mind its a work in progress!  Also, since the owner is always working he doesn't see what I have put up.  So I come to you for your input, all is welcome.  I want to focus on the positive aspects of logging and the environment.

Thank you for your time,

Mindy
www.stumpbranchlogging.com
mindy@stumpbranchlogging.com

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Mindy!  That's goona be pretty snazzy website. I really like what you have so far, although I need to ge fetch my glasses so I can read the text. It got the dogs attention too as I played around on the mouse overs.  ;) Are you planning a non-flash version for all the industry people out there that still live in da sticks and have to work off of dial-up?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mindy

Hmmm, Hadn't thought about dial up.  I live in the sticks and have to use Verizon air card.  I'll check into that, thank you.  Also I will make the text larger.

Thanks so much,
Mindy

Jeff

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the operation once you get them up.  :)  The site loaded within only a few seconds here on cable, so maybe it'll be pretty fast.  Some of the guys here with slower connections can probably let you know how that works.  Question:  Does the site template allow for a sound toggle to enable/disable sound?

SwampDonkey

I commented on an earlier thread. But, what you need, to make life a little more enjoyable, is an Enter to bypass the flash button for us dial-up crew.  I probably won't see cable here for another millenium. The towns here have cable and such, but we are not as high class out here on the farms. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

Hi Mindy and welcome to the Forestry Forum.

My opinion is I don't like it.  :D
I find it too busy with too little content.
It just needs a little tweaking without all the flash.
Don't give up, I'm looking forward to the site and the show.

Mindy

I have hundreds of photos from going out on job sites, may be going out next week to get more.  I will start posting them today.  As far as sound there is that option I haven't put it up yet.  I am going to have video that we take out in the field for the site, this will be our own not History.  

As far as the flash can someone with dial up give it a try, please.  Going to make changes based on your thoughts and opinions.  Keep them coming!

Thanks a bunch,
Mindy

Mindy

The tweaking begins, I think it won't seem as busy or flashy once some photos are up, you'll have to let me know what you think.  I am working on it right now.

Thanks for your comments,
Mindy

Jeff

Don't forget to tell the guys about the Forestry Forum. There may already be some guys on here they know. There aint a better group of people then those that work in and about and for our forests and you will find a ton of them right here.  Besides, if these fellers become celebrities, we can keep em grounded. ;)

Kevin

Pictures, preferably video, light background music with narration works for me.

Jeff

Quote from: Kevin on January 16, 2008, 05:41:09 PM
Pictures, preferably video, light background music with narration works for me.

Mindy, Kevin is what you get when you mess with someone that spends all their time in a tree. ;)

Mindy

:D  Melvin Lardy is the owner of Stump-Branch and he has been here before, I'll see him tonight and tell him what you said!  He's just a regular logger, you guys are gonna love him!  He is already famous around here!

Kevin

Thanks Jeff, no more soup trees for you!  ;D

Mindy, here's one of my fav's ... Bird on a wire

It's long and probably a killer for dial up but I think you'll get the drift.

John Bartley

Quote from: Mindy on January 16, 2008, 03:58:19 PM.....
I would like anyone's input on the site, keep in mind its a work in progress!  .....

Mindy,

Sorry to be negative, but when I encounter a "flash" site, unless I need or want something specific I just stop looking. I find animations, flash intro's etc an unnecessary annoyance. Photos and videos are ok, but I want to be able to choose what to look at and at what speed it passes by my eyeballs.

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

SwampDonkey

Got your ban button ready and loaded Jeff?  :D

Just kidding.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Kevin, that video was awesome.

Mindy

Way cool video, doubt I'll get anyhting like that.

Hey you guys I asked for your opinions, the good and the bad!  THe neat thing is I am in the begining stages so everything counts Now. I do appreciate every honest opinion!

Thanks,
Mindy

Kevin

Mindy;
You could manage it.
You wouldn't need helicopters and it wouldn't cost very much.
Just a little video editing.

Mindy

I think your right!  I watched the video away, I get where you are going with the suggestion.  I'll talk to Melvin and come up with something really neat for next week!

I checked into HTML, think I will switch over to that.

THanks everyone,
Mindy

Mindy

http://www.stumpbranchlogging.com/html/

Really needs sprucing up now!!!!!  But at least you can view either way.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Mindy

pigman

The flash site took 5 minutes to get the front door to open, another 4 minutes to see anthing to read.  Just clicked on the nonflash site and it loaded within 10 seconds and could read about logging in another 4 seconds. 8) 

slow Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Mindy

Talk about slow I am waiting for pictures to upload, hope they won't take along time to load for you.

Thanks,
Mindy

John Bartley

Quote from: Mindy on January 16, 2008, 06:53:50 PM
http://www.stumpbranchlogging.com/html/

Really needs sprucing up now!!!!!  But at least you can view either way.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Mindy

Yup - I'd browse it in this format!!

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Mindy

Good, glad it worked better!  I am uploading massive photos will be posting as they load, may take a bit of time though!

Thanks,
Mindy

DanG

Welcome Mindy!  Looks like a neat project you have going there.

Another tip from a dial-up user:  If you're going to use videos, try to supplement them with plenty of still pics.  There is nothing more frustrating than running across something you really want to see, but not being able to download it.  It would also help us if you keep the file size of the photos to a minimum. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!