iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back setting teeth

Started by Neil_B, May 06, 2003, 05:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

I've got a bunch of blades here with 25 thou to 35 thou set in them and it's taking a long time to wear the set down. I'm cutting hardwood and some of it is getting close to dry so I need to back set my teeth to 19 or 20 thou. I thought about taking the pliers to a blade and straighten them out and then set to 19. I'm aware it will prematurely begin the fatigue cycle, but has anyone else had to do this?
Reason I need to is because I'm not ejecting enough sawdust out, and I'm getting a fair amount of sawdust in the housing for the idler which is opposite side it's ejected on. As well as leaving alot on the cant.

Any thoughts??
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Fla._Deadheader

I just had all my blades re-set. Use a piece of steel, about 1/8th thick X 1/2" wide X about 3-4 inches long. Cut a slit in it about the depth of the bend of your tooth, in the 1/2" part , ACROSS the 1/8th width. Slip it over the tip of the tooth, while the blade is clamped in the setter, and bend the way you want. It will go pretty easy, so, pay attention. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

johnjbc

Wood-Mizer makes a tool to do it. The part number was in the manuals for my setter.
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Neil_B

Could I smooth out the faces of an old set of pliers and clamp it so to speak? That way it would straighten it in line with the body of the blade itself and I wouldn't have  to worry about going too far past neutral.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

johnjbc

I used a brass hammer and anvil on a blade that hit metal
(don't ask how). Worked fine   :P

D._Frederick

Don't pry on the tip of the tooth, it is hardened and will break-off. The bending force should be applied about 1/3 from top of tooth. Some of sawmill mfg. have setters for under $200.

Neil_B

Thanks for the tips guys. Will be careful. I do have a setter but I have to take it apart to reverse the cam to backset and figured it may be quicker to bend it by hand. I've got one of Dinasaw's setters, supposed to be very quick but finicky to set up initially.

Tom

Will it work if you turn the blade inside out?

Hammering doesn't flatten a tooth good because it retains memory and must be bent past where you want it to be when you get through.  I tried a couple of times and they got so close that I got lost when I was resetting the teeth and couldn't tell if I was resetting or putting set in a raker or had reset a tooth from the other side.   It shows up when you try to saw, that's for sure.  You're a better man than me, John. :D  It must be my ADD's:D

The little tool is the best bet because it won't hurt the tooths tip where a pair of pliars might.

If you are just trying to diminish the amount of set then the tooth needn't be bent too far.  I find that I get used to the amount of pressure and can almost put them where I want them or at least a little under so I can put the correct set in with the setter.

Neil_B

thanks guys, I'll make up the tool tomorrow and try it out. All I want to do is reduce the set to a more appropriate one for hardwoods and then experiment a little.

this will be a good test for my patience ;D

LeeB

who sells the setter for under $200? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

D._Frederick

Lee,
Try LINN LUMBER, they have a setter for 225. Call the other small mill mfg.

johnjbc

Tom

Next time try a small hammer. Not your 16 oz framing  hammer.  ;D ;D  I slid the band across the anvil of my vise and just taped every third tooth the ones set towards the vise. Then turn the blade inside out and do it again.

John

Thank You Sponsors!