iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log hauling trailer idea

Started by DKinWA, January 13, 2008, 01:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKinWA

I've had an idea in my head for a log trailer and I finally took the time to draw it up.  It's basically a flatbed trailer with side boards or log bunks and a hydraulic arch and winch.  The pulley on the back can be opened and the cable taken off so it's a straight pull to the pulley in the front.  With two control levers, I can control the arch and winch at the same time.  I haven't taken the time yet to figure out what I'd need for the hydraulics, but I'll take care of that after I narrow down the design.  So... what do you guys think about this idea?  The arch idea actually comes from a research boat I used to work on off the Washington coast years ago.  We were pulling a 300# sled and used this type of system to bring the sled back up over the stern of the boat.  It worked really slick and I think it'd work well for loading logs.

DKinWA

Here's the drawing from the back of the trailer.

Furby

Since it's so close to the DanG/Deadheader loader, I don't know why it won't work, but the hyd. on the arch will be pricey, heavy and slow. :)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6803.msg94732#msg94732
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17613.0

bandmiller2

DK what you have drawn will work fine.It will tend to be awkward unloading logs,ideal is to roll them off the side same hight as your log brow.For the same amount of material and hyd. you could build a braced jib crane in front by the winch.I would also build a beavertail on the back of the trailer.You yard the log up to the trailer set the front of log on trailer rehook farther back set it on the trailer.With weight on the trailer you can also swing logs over the side.I had a trailer like this years ago worked well. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dan_Shade

make your pulley so it can be moved side to side along the back.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Coon

In my opinion the work you are going to spend on building a system like this I think you would be better off with a boom and grapple system on the front of the trailer.  I am taking into consideration of your awkwardness to unload the trailer you have shown.  Not only will it be awkward but heavy too as mentioned before.   A grapple will be alot more versatile than your system but may not be able to lift the real big and heavy logs. ??? 

You do however have a nice design there. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Fla._Deadheader

Here's the one we built. It has bunks crossways to set logs or lumber on, and you can roll the logs off either side. No flooring, so the trash falls through before we hit the hwy.

Doesn't take a LOT of logs to make a load. We have had it completely full of logs from the river, soaking wet. Didn't have but a few miles to go, and never once got pulled over for inspection.

Winch is mounted in the headboard of the gooseneck.  Lights are bar mounted and removable. Plugs into the side of the 6" pipe rear bunk. Fits irregular log configuration.

Corley5 pulled the trailer from Central Florida to Michigan, and never reported a problem at hwy speeds ???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

Looks good. As for the hydraulics being slow, I think it depends upon the cylinder/pump size. It doesn't have to be slow. The point of the jib/ crane does make more sense, especially for speedy unloading if it is a "deck over". Just be sure your "standards" are removable and "captive"(by pins or bolts while in place, DOT law). Mininum of three chains for every 10' (I think), again DOT.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DKinWA

Thanks for the ideas and comments.  I've been having a hard time trying to come up with a solution that works better than using my dump truck and excavator.  Most of the time I'm just going after a couple of logs and I hate having to spend so much time moving equipment back and forth.  I probably even spend more in diesel than the wood is really worth.  If I can come up with something I can tow behind my F250 and is quick and easy to operate, I should come out ahead in the long run.

Ironwood

Another idea to speed unloading, is to have removable rollers that lay in the trailer and enable you to simply tap the brakes and the whole load flies out the back, just make sure you tie the load well  ::) and make sure it is legal (you never know the stuff they DOT come up with) They say the same of us ;D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DKinWA

Ironwood - It's funny you mentioned rollers because I used to haul lumber in college and we had steel rollers on our roll off trucks that worked pretty slick.  The back roller had a lock that you had to release when you were ready to dump the load.  I'll never forget the first heavy framing package I dropped.  I backed up about 20' and hit the brakes as instructed.  The load rolled back and the front end of the truck came off the ground and the only thing I saw was sky  :D  Once I collected myself, I pulled forward nice and easy and dropped it without breaking anything.  Evidently, one of our local contractors/customers had to call the yard before I got back and when I pulled in there was a lot of laughing going on.  I can only imagine the look on my face when the front of the truck lifted :o  I still remember it plain as day almost 24 years later.

Back to the rollers, I actually thought about adding hydraulic rollers that would turn clockwise and counter clockwise to assist with loading and unloading.  I was starting to think I might be nuts, but maybe it isn't such a goofy idea after all?

mike_van

Here's  what I built for hauling logs, machinery, you name it - It'll lift 2000 lbs, you can roll off the right side by pulling the racks off. F350 routinely hauls 2 ton. The crane was built by me from scrap, right now it's powered by a small hyd. unit [4hp Briggs, 4 gpm pump & tank]    The second pic is a load of ash logs from today, next winters firewood. I've put some logs on the truck the crane wouldn't pick up clean, you get one end on the back, move the hitch & pull the rest of it on. Hydraulics are amazing - 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Furby

Remember, the more weight you add to your rig, the less load you can actually carry.
Kinda what a few folks have hinted about. ;)

Ironwood

Here is something similar. Total work horse, I blew the rotation bearings out recently and had a chance to buy a second twin too it while I was repairing it. I couldn't refuse, knowing how I use it on a nearly constant basis. Both are back on line, I think I may mount them in tandem ;D 3200# x 2 = 6400#. You name it, it's lifted it. Indispensible at this point. They have variouos mount points around the bed, depending on use. While the one was broken I also used my full hydraulic from the trailer on the truck deck (all are on the same four bolt hold down system) First one is on a previous truck

Ironwood

zopi

That's cheatin.  :D

>coming from the guy who was loaned a yoader the other day...< ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Corley5

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 13, 2008, 11:38:34 AM

Corley5 pulled the trailer from Central Florida to Michigan, and never reported a problem at hwy speeds ???

Did fine at speeds up to 90mph  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Got a little shakey over 90 eh? ;D

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

DK, that's a neat looking rig you drew up, but the hydraulic cylinders aren't really necessary.  You can just use the winch to pull the arch up, and get the same effect, and you'll eliminate a lot of weight, expense, and fab time.  Some folks like to run the winch cable through a pulley on the arch, then down to the log, but I don't do it that way.  I don't like dealing with that "crash" scenario.  I just hook the winch to the arch, then drop a chain from the arch to the log.  I feel I have better control that way.

One little trick I learned was to leave the truck in neutral with no brake set.  That way, when the log starts forward, it pulls the truck and trailer to the log and doesn't tear up lawns by dragging the log.  It is easier on the winch, too. ;)  That only works on level ground, or when you're pulling downhill, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mike_van

Reid, I like those tongs for the ease of using them, but boy, I'd be some leery about having them slip?  I use a 1/2" cable choker, takes a little longer but you'll never lose one.  At work we had a set of tongs for moving poles [not setting, just loading the trailer] until the saftey dept. made us get rid of them. We couldn't even use a J-hook, had to be a shackle & threaded pin.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ironwood

I work mostly alone, so far so good. I am extremely cautious about the material handleing stuff, good point though. I am half rigger, half engineer, half laborer, half who knows what,  GUESS that is a total of two (seem right, I usually get twice the work done of most people I meet  ;D)

Ironwood

zopi

I was eyeballing a mobile home chassis the other day...thinking  about lopping off
big chunks of it and sectioning the hitch back to around 20' and decking it over, adding a
short portable winch mast and sliding side ramps...

then woke up and figured it would be easier and cheaper to just buy an older hotshot trailer... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ironwood

Zopi,

Wise choice, we had former member here do that and he had a TON of extra steel to get it ridgid. He was from Illinois I think.   The I beams are very flexible. FYI . I have a bunch of those beams laying around for stock, very weak.

Ironwood

oakiemac

Just what ever trailer you get make sure it has brakes. Verify this for yourself don't take the sellers word for it. >:( This is my only advice on buying a log trailer.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

zopi

Quote from: Ironwood (Reid Crosby) on January 14, 2008, 01:07:55 PM
Zopi,

Wise choice, we had former member here do that and he had a TON of extra steel to get it ridgid. He was from Illinois I think.   The I beams are very flexible. FYI . I have a bunch of those beams laying around for stock, very weak.

Ironwood

yep...bet they make decent beams in the top of a saw shed tho... ;D

decent trailers are pretty easy to come by if you don't really care how they look....

never been to a custom trailer show...don't think i'd go if there were one... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

I have a 20' gooseneck trailer made from old m/h beams.  What the builder did was sandwich 2 beams together to make each side of the trailer.  It has held up real well.  If you want to try it, find a really old mobile home, like from the 60s.  The beams under them were a lot heavier than the later ones.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!