iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

computer program for building/design

Started by TGofWNY, January 12, 2008, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGofWNY

Hey yall. I am amazed by what I have learned here in the past few weeks. Thank you for that.  I am considering buying a sawmill and tractor and trying to build myself using my 134 acres of "lumber" without having to get another mortgage .Using replies to my other posts, I think I have decided to try to start with a barn/outbuilding that we could live in to start. I am wondering ... is there some sort of computer program that I could buy, where I could "draw" the structure that I want to build ,and it would tell me what materials/lumber I would need and whether or not it would be structurally stable or not? Thanks in advance. Tom.

logwalker

Tom,
I don't believe that exists at this time. Too many variables involved and the existing architects/engineers would not be too happy about it either. If you want to do it yourself you will have to do the old fashioned way..."Earn It". All the information can be found  here and  on the net. But it will require a dedication to the goal to achieve a satisfactory end result. Use the search function first and then ask lots of questions. Don't let anything deter you. It will be very rewarding. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ljmathias

Welcome and congratulations on starting a project that will keep you busy for years, if not decades!  As the Chinese say, every journey no matter how long starts with a singe step.

You're not very clear on whether you've decided what kind of buildings to build- timber frame, stick build or one of the many hybrid forms.  You have a great opportunity owning your own wood but don't be misled into thinking that makes what you build with it "free," cause it doesn't.  Lots of other expenses to take into account: the frame and other wood/lumber/timber components of the building may only make up 30% of the total.  You can push this much higher, of course, if you use wood siding and wood shingles- but all uses other than traditional stick build require more and more learning.  For example, I am moving more and more towards metal roofing and siding for key reasons for me: at 59, energy levels are not what they once were and re-painting and upkeep on wood is not where I want to spend my time.  Metal is good for 30-50 years so I can pass on structures to my kids and grandkids that will last, not have to be maintained.

If you want to live in the house, that means plumbing, HVAC, electricity and water, flooring, interior siding, paint and finishing, plus glass for windows and ovens and stoves and...  My guess on what these cost (apart from the frame)  about 70% of the price of a normal house.  Again, you can compromise and spend your time and energy finding "deals" or doing much of the labor yourself, but you still have to actually buy stuff- wood doesn't carry electricity too well.

On the plus side, the more you learn and learn how to do, the more the house or barn will be exactly what you want and with the quality you want, plus it keeps your mind sharp, your muscles sore but your body more healthy than having someone else do all the work for you.

Enough said: your journey will be a long one with many frustrations and setbacks but with rewards that more than make up for these; you just have to have a wife and family willing to let you go down this path, trusting that since you don't really know what your doing or getting into, you'll figure it out and make it work.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Larry

Iffen it were that simple wouldn't be any fun designing a structure. 

I have built a few structures...but by no means am I a builder.  I have a core library of construction books that I have accumulated over the years...most are dated but still useful.  To supplement I make frequent trips to the public library.  Just checked out 8 books a few days ago.  When I get the material digested I'll draw a few lines in SketchUp...mostly detail points.  When I get little further along I'll draw the whole building out with a lot of details that I might forget later during construction.

I don't have permits, inspectors, or building codes so I do a lot of studying to insure the building will meet national codes.  Some builders forget that if they ever sell there building it will probably be inspected by an engineer...if it doesn't meet code the violation will be noted and possibly made public record.

I'm pretty used to drawing things out...letting the design set for a week and coming back with changes.  Just my way of doing things.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!