iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter warming

Started by Cedarman, January 12, 2008, 08:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

A recent article in Science News about logging in NH talked about the shortening of the logging season by 8 to 9 days in the last few decades because the ground would not freeze.  Landowners and loggers were losing millions of dollars because loggers could not get into the woods to log and the roads would not hold upthe logging trucks.

Some will say do to global warming others will say just yearly variation.  In any case, the effects do affect real people.

Several other threads speak to this same thing.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

I know the last 15 years is a lot different than the first 25 of my life. Here it is almost 2 weeks into January and it's milder than December was. There is a good frost base here, but the top 2 " is probably slime in the woods and roads. Actually the ground in the woods never freezes very deep. I've seen -25 weather for two weeks and sometimes the cedar ground is still a bog mire.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

I've seen a differance in my life from when I was a kid. I'm sure most of us have heard the when I was a kid stories from our parents now i'm telling them as my kids don't think of going out and leaving in the car whithout even taking a coat.
Today I'm setting up lines in my sugarbush for maple sap and if it don't start freezing at night I'll be wasting my time. Were going to get a lot of snow here tonight so I guess I'll be plowing and grading the driveway again at the same time ::)as there is no frost at all here.

Phorester

I used to wear long underwear quite a lot during the winter. The last few years I've hardly had to put it on at all. 

Wait a minute..... maybe that's because I have more natural insulation on my body now.

SwampDonkey

I still use mine when it gets below 15 degrees. yikes_smiley

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowman

I always get a kick out of people useing their lifetimes as a measuring stick for "normal" weather. A human lifetime isn't a blink of earths  eye. I also get a kick out of "normal weather" concept itself. Throughout earths history it has either been going into one iceage or coming out of another. In fact 70% of earths history it has been in an iceage so if you want "normal" weather, you want an iceage. Many species have come and gone due to cli mate change, the dinosaurs in one event, likely an asteroid hit, the wooly mammoths and sabertooth tigers in another climate event and all this before nasty man got here with his evil motors. I'ts always something, an asteroid hit, a supervolcano, earths tilt on its axis, the suns ebb and flow of intensity the earths orbit changes around the sun or maybe internal combustion engines :D. In short, enjoy this brief warm spell, quit your whinning and be glad we are not in the iceage thats around the corner.

WH_Conley

Aww, comeon Snowman, I want to whine, it's the only thing I got left that the government can't tax. :D
Bill

Ed_K

Ya can't whine it's against the law cause they haven't figured out how to tax it. In Ma. there's a saying,"if there isn't a law,you can't do it".
You'll need the long underwear starting next week  :( or  :) .
Ed K

Dave Shepard

I could use a little frost, I've got stuff to do in the woods. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stonebroke

My cows like it , they are still out grazing.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

snowman, I follow ya. But, it's the time I'm on the planet, so whatever happens in my time is something I influenced. Whatever happened before I was born and after I expire isn't my fault.  That's my perspective. ;D

AKFALLER

I could use a little of that global warming here right now...-45 this morning.
Treefarmer C5d cable, Husky 575's, Husky 357

Mike_Barcaskey

hey snowman,
who's to say what's happening (if it is global warming) is wrong. maybe what we have had over the last 20, 30 50 years is wrong and we are returning to "normal".
awful narcissistic of mankind to force our view on the planet
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ron Wenrich

Yesterday's paper had the record high at 60°.  It was set in 1890.  I've seen a lot of record highs that were set back in the early part of the century.  I don't see a whole lot from the later half of the century. 

Climate is a dynamic thing.  I am a firm believer of cycles, especially after observing nature for a long time.  From my understanding, there are several different cycles that we go through.  The El Nino cycle is every so many years, and there is one that is a 30 year cycle, another is a longer term 750 cycle, and there are probably a lot I don't remember.  When all those cycles line up at a certain point in time, then you'll get some extraordinary climate variations. 

I don't buy the carbon dioxide theory.  That implies that you can control climate by controlling the amount of CO2 in the air. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

It's been said before,what caused the 60° weather back in 1890?My Father was born in the early 20's.He would always comment on the lack of snow and the temps when I was growing up.I found it very interesting to hear the stories.He grew up when he would use sleds to move goods over the roads and through the woods to make it quicker to get from one place to another.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Volcanoes were a big influence and still are at times.

But, I've seen a lot of records here in the last 10-15 years. Our local records only go back to the 30's. I know it's hardly a significant span of time. By local, I mean Caribou, Maine. Record snow falls were in the 70's and record cold days were in the 50's and 70's, record warm spells in the 2000's.

Haytrader

I was just thinking about this very topic over the weekend.
( ::) no snide comments  ;))
On one hand you have algor crying "Global warming" and then we get a storm and the news hounds are all over the TV saying "Worst storm in years"

It is like, which is it?
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

In the 70's we had Suzuki crying global cooling, no lie. Also, Hurd C. Willett of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Here is a CBC radio clip from 1976

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-75-2636-14646/science_technology/climate_change/clip3

Ron Wenrich

I've mentioned relic communities before.  For our forest ecology class, they took us out to a place that had a spurce forest.  Canadian climate right in the center of PA.  Complete with the bog.  It sets in a frost pocket, but is evidence that the spruce forest had been that far south.

The next week, they took us to the other side of the mountain, and there were a few shortleaf pines that were hanging on.  Evidently, the southern forest had been that far north.  The prof also said, that due to a cooling climate, it was doubtful that the shortleaf pines would survive.

We used to have Virginia pine in my area.  It was pretty much a pioneer species, especially in abandoned fields.  I haven't seen any in years.  You generally see more brush invading an abandoned field than you do trees.  I think its more due to invasive species instead of climate change.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Climber

I remember when I was kid the snow was so much, over my head. And we were traveling on snowy roads all the time. :o

Oh yes I guess because I was 4 feet tall. And no snow plows around. :D

SwampDonkey

Well 5 feet within the telephone wires is the same no matter how tall ya are. And it wasn't the snow plow I was pleased to see, it was the heavy wind that hard packed the snow so there was no school for a couple days while the road grader with a mounted snow blower could bust through a path.  The snow plows couldn't even budge it, and we have big snow plows.  Amazing what a hard wind and bitter cold can do to snow. :D

Thank You Sponsors!