iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I M A NEW PARTICIPANT!!

Started by earl hulslander, January 11, 2008, 10:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl hulslander

A friend jus gave me this web site and I find it very interesting.  Just wanted to say I bought a WOODMIZER 30 LT in 1984.  I live in upstate NY and drove to Indianapolis to pick it up. The first year I sawed full time with it as the company I worked for (sand & gravel & readymix concrete) closed in my area.  I had planned on retireing in a year any way and sawing full time so due to circumstances I started a year early.  I cut over a hundredthousand
feet the first year and quit counting.  My saw came with a 1 cyl Koehler engine.  When that wore to the point of needing rebuilding I replaced it with a 2 cylinder 20 hp that is ok today.  It has been updated over the years and cuts as well as when it was new.  I bought the shingle and siding attachment when I got the saw.  I have since
bought a resaw attachment.

Just wanted to say WOODMIZER says their mills are guaranteed to last 25 years I believe -- Well I'm livivg proof of it as I have had my mill since 1984 and it is still OK - although a little paint wouldn't hurt it!!

I bought the trailer package at the start and did custom work at the customer's site in probably a 30 mile plus radius from my home site. 

I don't do as much any more as I am past 75 years old but do some and sharpen a few blades if work shows up.  I used to fill in with portable welding service  and building trade work as well so never had to go hungry.

My wife and I will have been married 56 years in June of this year.  We had three children and now have 5 great grandchildren the oldest of which will be 7 in June of 08.

Enough about me I guess - Just wanted to say WOODMIZER has been good to me as far as being reliable and the times I needed parts service was excellent.  Now there is an outlet here in NY. .....Earl Hulslander, Candor, NY.

DanG

Well Hey There, Earl!  Come on in and set a spell.  Sounds like you have plenty of stories and experience to share. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

OneWithWood

Nice to meet you, Earl.  Please join in as you see fit.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

bedway

Welcome Earl,,,Sounds like your life has been fullfilling thus far and happy! To have been married 50 plus years nowdays is in its self one hell of an accomplishment. My hats off to ya Earl ;),,,bedway

zopi

Welcome! that's a heckuva story.

56 years...I thought we were doing good at going on 14... ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Kelvin

Thanks for taking the time to share your story.  Good to hear about people who have been sucessful with their mill operation.  Did you ever buy logs and sell lumber?  Or were you just custom cutting mostly?  Its good to have guys who have been around their milll for so long, we get lots of questions about modifiying and working on them.  You must be an expert and a real source of helpful info.  Hope you stick around and help out us newbies!!!
Thanks
kelvin

beenthere

Welcome from here too.

We like pics....as you can tell from reading various threads.. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Welcome Earl!  Wow, you have to have a pretty low customer number and one of the earliest mills!  I have a 1987 LT30, but I am the third owner.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gharlan

Hey Earl I would love to see some pics of that mill after 23 years of service. And Welcome---Gary

Bibbyman

Good to have you here!  Great intro..   8)

Have you had a chance to see one of the big LT70s run?  They've come a long way baby since 84!   ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

moosehunter

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Earl. I live in Newfield, just up the road from you!
Your many years of sawing should have some interesting stories. Feel free to share some of them with us.

Mike
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

ronwood

Earl,

Welcome to the forum. Love to hear your stories and experiences.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Stephen1

Welcome Earl, glad to hear of someone so long in the business, give us some stories sometime when you get a chance.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sgtmaconga

Welcome to your new web home. please know that a lot of us youngins like to get inpot with problems we post here so speak up if you can help us. (we tend to tear up stuff!!!)
Measure twice cut once

sawman

'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Lud

Glad to have you with us, Earl. 
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

Earl,welcome to the forum.How did you get along without us for so many years?   :D  :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fat olde elf

Welcome Earl !! Always glad to have someone who is more chronologically empowered than the Fat Old Elf.......This is a great place and you are super qualified !!!!!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

logwalker

Welcome. I have a suspicion you will have a lot to contribute to this forum. Will be looking for more posts. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. You just come on in and sit a spell.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Firebass

Welcome Earl,

Thanks for sharing.  Good to see story's about successful small business's.  Us little guy's always need a few of those from the old-timers to keep us ticking. 

Thanks
Firebass

Part_Timer

glad you found the forum.  Welcome
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

kelLOGg

Welcome, Earl
It's a great forum - entertaining, informative, supportive, ...

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!