iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wanting to move south. any suggstions

Started by semologger, January 09, 2008, 02:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

i am looking to move south. i cut pine pulpwood, small pine. the winters around here seem to get were you cant hardly get around. i have worked for one week since mid november. timber is hard to find well pine timber plenty of oak but i am not set up to cut oak. i am in southern mo now.

does any one know of anyone looking for any contract labor? i am going to start talking to mills in the south and see what they say. i figured i would start asking on here first.

i have been logging pine for 10 years. my equipment is a 221 shear hydroax, 648E john deere, 210 prentice with delimber, and 2 trucks.

thanks semologger 

sgtmaconga

one of the biggest buyers in my area are the paper mills. btw: todays high here was 74
Measure twice cut once

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jim king

Here is the local newspaper from the North of Peru which is South of the Equator. 

http://www.iquitostimes.com/

Nate Surveyor

Maybe a better question would be "Where'd ya come from?"

If you are truly a Yankee moving MORE south, there is this chance that the cold weather will simply move with you!

I have been accused of bringing my weather with me.

And somebody may figure it out that the actual cause of global warming is too many southern boys in New York, that brought their weather with them!

:)

N
I know less than I used to.

Texas Ranger

There are a bunch of Missouri folks in Texas, but the lumber and mill industry is in decline, and we are losing loggers right and left.  You may want to contact the Texas Forest Service and ask for information for loggers and mills in Texas, and start with contacting them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

semologger

i am in southern missouri. the prob is that in winter time the ground dont freeze. so far it has froze two days in a row. i need more working days in a year. i am just stuck in the middle. i like cutting pine but its hard to do that in a oak forest. i am just looking for my equipment to be able to run full time. winter is just to hard around here.

any area is fine just as long as has lots of pine. i am not one of the biggest operations but i am getting bigger. i had to sell my timberjack skidder the other day just to try and get by for awhile longer. it was a 450 timberjack grapple had a new rebuild on the motor it ran good. i sold it for 7 thousand. you souldnt have to sell equipment just to get by. and lose money at that.  it was worth more than that just to have it sitting there.

thanks jim king but i want to stay on this side of the equator. i would have to sell my equipment just to move down there.

it dont really matter how far south really whats the difference in being 4 hjours or 8 you have to be away from home anyways. my old lady is going to have our baby girl june 15 so i need to work. you guys can understand that.

thanks guys

Den Socling

Well thanks a lot Jim King. I just blew an hour reading the Iquitos Times! I had to bookmark it so I can get back to work.  :o

But I didn't see any want ads for somebody to harvest pine.  :(

Warbird

DanG

There is a lot of pine around here, but there seems to be plenty of loggers too.  Most of the small stuff is going to the OSB plant and the big stuff to the plywood plant.  They are building a big pellet plant over in Woodbowl's territory, but I don't know when it is going online.  It may be too far in the future to be of help to your situation.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Lots of pine here that needs to be harvested before it goes to waste and provides fuel for fires. Our forests have been ravaged by the pine beetle. Trouble is, what do ya do with it once it is cut, there is no market for it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ARKANSAWYER

Not sure how they are doing right now but down around Pinebluff Arkansas they was a bit tight for loggers.  Mostly pine there for IP but some hardwoods.  Around here they haul pine whole tree on pole truck just like the oak.  But the rain can keep you out of the woods when it gets soft.  You can get ahold of the Arkansas Forestry Dept and get a list of mills in an area and contact them to see if they need help on tracts of land.  Very seldom do they put it in the paper.
ARKANSAWYER

Don K

Lots of pine in Alabama but it is a far piece for you. I watch countless loads of pine go by my house every day. Big logs that I drool over and loads that look like they have been to the toothpick factory. Lots of plantation here. Hard to go it alone but many loggers have good luck contracting out to the big timber buying companies. Rain don't stop them a lot either most of the time.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

limbrat

No pine here   there are alot of trees but the red crested what ever wood pecker has them all tied up.    Go East
ben

semologger

don K  i have a friend that is staying in poplarville. he went down there after the big waves hit yall and has stayed there. i am going to be heading down that way soon as possible. he said we could bunk up with him. he is an logger from here in mo and has worked for us before. now he is just painting down there. im sure he is just itching to get back in the woods.  i am going to have to get some info on the mills around your area. but your area sounds like what i am searching for.

i need to just check out the mills in southern arkansas also.

thanks guys your help is greatly appreciated

Ernie

Hey Semologger

New Zealand is both south and has thousands of hectares of pine.  We are a pretty laid back lot down here, you would love it. :) :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Radar67

Quote from: semologger on January 09, 2008, 10:55:55 PM
don K  i have a friend that is staying in poplarville. he went down there after the big waves hit yall and has stayed there.

You talking about MS? Poplarville is about an hour or so south of me. I see pine moving everyday too, mostly the toothpick size. The local hardwood mill is running over with lumber and logs.

I'm sure you could find a market here, but prices may be low, last check it was $167 a ton for pine sawlogs.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

semologger

hmm i wonder what shippping would be for my equipment  to go to another country? prob more than my equipment is worth. i would like to go to peru or new zealand one of these days though. the only other country ive been to is mexico. we went to cancun last summer but didnt get far from the resort.

Radar we have talked to a couple of guys today from your way.  still searching around going to be talking to a couple more tomarrow. you southern boys dont have any suggestions on anyone?

thanks

Radar67

I've got a list of loggers and timber buyers from the local extension office I could email you, not sure if it would help.

WDH has some connections.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

semologger

RMay

semologger this will get you to the forest industry directory for Arkansas   http://www.forestry.state.ar.us/manage/manage.html
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Thank You Sponsors!