iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what scale ?

Started by SAWYER_SLIM, May 04, 2003, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAWYER_SLIM

What log scale is most often used here in west mich ?  I have 20 acers of hardwood I want to harvrest, I would say I have 5 thousand ft. I would like to here some suggestions where & how to sell it.  Should I sell it green ?  I know a guy who will dry it for me for 330 a thousnd, is this a good price? It is red & white oak.

Jeff

Are you trying to market the lumber or the logs?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawyerfortyish

Here in N.J. we use Doyle scale but a lot of places use international or scribner . I usally sell any logs that they will give me more than .50 or .55 and saw the rest. I figure at that price or more I can't saw dry and get as much as it is worth in the log in other words your equipment time and labor added on to a log that is worth say .60 may make the lumber cost more than it's worth. Are you going to log this yourself? Are you going to saw the logs yourself? A lot of these things can also depend on how bad you may need the money or how long it takes to saw -dry- and sell the lumber. Thats why I sell the better logs recover my money maybe make a little and then I have nothing in my low grade logs that I saw to order whenever someone needs something.

SAWYER_SLIM

I would like to saw it my self & sell the lumber if I had a buyer for it. If not then I would sell to loggers.

Jeff

If you are cutting your own logs and sawing your own lumber and want to know approximately what you are going to get from the logs, International is your best bet. Thats what we use here in Harrison at the mill level.

Is the 5000 feet a total volume estimate or grade? 5000 ft of grade red oak will be easy to sell. when it comes time to sell let me know what you have and I'll point you at some names and numbers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

The old rule of thumb around here is "Buy on Doyle sell on International".  A good compromise is Scribner.  Our timber sales have all been on Scribner.  I won't sell to a buyer who tries to use Doyle but like the guys who'll buy on International.  My last veneer sale the buyer pulled out a Doyle stick and started scaling.  Whoa!!!  "What do think you're doing with that" were my exact words.  He explained that he only used that to measure the logs and fed that into his handheld which figured everything on Scribner.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!