iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edgers

Started by shopteacher, May 04, 2003, 09:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

I'm new to the milling world (bought a used LT40hyd about a year ago)  and have been wondering about edging boards. Do you edge them when they come off the mill? If so, don't they bow during drying and isn't that a waste of time and energy?  Has anyone built an edger or seen any type of plans for doing so?  I've seen the edgers from WM and a couple others, but really didn't want to invest that much money at this time.  I have read a lot of good threads here on the forum and just like to thank all who participate. I teach high school wood shop and it great to pass on  information to students no matter what their age. Thanks
GC
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Percy

Years ago, I seen a home made edger that was made out of a heavyduty table saw. The guy had a couple of springloaded, driven rollers on top and some kind of free rolling rollers on the bottom. He had to make two passes with this unit to completely edge a flitch. On the second pass, the board would be against a moveable fence. Seemed to work good when I looked at it.

Fow lower production  cutting on your mill, sorting the flitches in to common  width sized piles that are also the same length can be C clamped at each end and edged quite efficiently on your mill. I used a system like this for quite some time and only hit one c clamp adjuster pin type thingie.  If you have lots of stacks prepared, and several c clamps and a good helper, it goes fast. Still not as efficient as an edger because the mill is not cutting a fresh log.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Sawyerfortyish

shopteacher you need to find a used edger. I see you are in PA the area your in you should be able to come across one cheaper than you can build one. I would send to Hairsburg and get the PA marketing bulletin in there they have a lot of equipment for sale also try getting the Lancaster farmer news paper watch the auction section as well as the classified section. I bought one from the classified section for 1500.00 with a power unit to run it. I bet you will double your production with one!

Corley5

Find a good used one.  Something like an old Tower.  I wouldn't be without an edger.  I've edged stuff on my circle mill when it was a small job rather than fussing around hooking the tractor up to the edger.  It's a real pain in the butt to edge on the mill.  Whenever I've got more than a half dozen logs I belt up to the edger.  The edger makes things much, much, much simpler.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

The state doesn't hand out the PA Marketing Bulletin anymore.  That has been handed over to the Hardwood Lumber Mfgs Assn.  Now they charge $25/yr and viewers have dropped off pretty hard.  For the price, you can place ads for free.  Comes out every month.

Lancaster Farmer is a pretty good paper.  Has lots of equipment and services for just about anyone.  Here is their website:  http://www.lancasterfarming.com/   Subscription is $36/yr.

Buy used.  I know one guy in the Poconos that has 3 edgers ranging in price from $800-4000.  There is also a guy in Chambersburg that had lots of old Fricks.  I'm not sure he's still in business.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sawyerfortyish

Ron never gave it a thought but your right about the PA market bulletin. I still get it .There's a guy out in Pa seems to me he might be near Chambersburg that rebuilds old Fricks and has the same last name. He is a little pricy I thought but had completly rebuilt and painted edgers for around 4500.$ last I knew

mitch

I bought an old Tower edger for $250.00 and rebuilt it. Take a look at the pics
        http://www.shagbarkfarms.com/Edger/

Dugsaws

Shopteacher
  I have an old Timber King edger i have been thinking of selling I think it is a model 802 but not sure. There is no power unit on it. I used it for about 6 mths before I got a new one. If you are interested you can either pm me if you would like.

Doug
Doug

Paul_H

Nice job on the edger Mitch.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Linda

Shopteacher,

Our first edger was homemade.  It wasn't pretty and definitely wouldn't pass safety standards, but it worked.  We used a 24" wide skate track, 10' long with a slot cut out for the blade. A cheap 10" circle saw blade fit up through the slot. Powered by a Briggs and Straton 5 hp engine. We used a B57 V belt to drive the blade. The track sloped down towards the outfeed end to reduce the drag. We had to push the board through by hand, but it worked pretty slick.

Wood-mizer made a similar unit after we stopped using ours. If you look around a little you might find a used WM single blade reasonably priced. WM does not show the single blade edger on their web site. But pack rat Al has a 1997 brochure with a picture. ;)

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Thank You Sponsors!