Started by a old timberjack, January 06, 2008, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yip, there are.

KATAHDIN PAPER COMPANY - East Millinocket, Maine

VERSO PAPERS - BUCKSPORT, Maine

FRASER PAPER - Edmundston, NB

Not long ago we had a hardwood veneer market for 4' maple and birch. ;D

As a further for instance: You guys have firewood guys working for beer money, well same thing always went on at some mills, 4' pulp for beer money. Yup pickup loads at a time. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 26, 2010, 04:21:27 AM
Yip, there are.

KATAHDIN PAPER COMPANY - East Millinocket, Maine

VERSO PAPERS - BUCKSPORT, Maine

FRASER PAPER - Edmundston, NB

Not long ago we had a hardwood veneer market for 4' maple and birch. ;D

As a further for instance: You guys have firewood guys working for beer money, well same thing always went on at some mills, 4' pulp for beer money. Yup pickup loads at a time. :D

Whoa. I'm amazed the mills still put up with it in this day and age, where a tractor trailer of logs can be loaded and unloaded so much more efficiently. Around here I've never seen 4' logs for any reason unless it was firewood and even then that's random lengths that happen to sometimes be near 4'. Firewood is also a much more casual commodity in the south than it is in the north. Even people who heat exclusively with firewood rarely need more than 2 cords a winter down here, unless they burn pine-- which some of them do.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Gary_C

Donk, it's just the end of September and you are digging up threads that are two and a half years old and reopening them????

It's going to be a long winter by this measure.  ::) ::)

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

g_man

Quote from: Enchanted Forester on February 07, 2008, 10:02:32 AM
A cord of wood in these parts is a stack of wood 4x4x8.  Green 4' logs.  When you cut that stack of logs up into cut and split pieces, it reduces to a stack approx. 100 cu.ft.  Is this true, anyone out there.    Enchanted Forester

That is they way it works where I live in VT

SwampDonkey

We call 100 ft3 of solid wood a cunit. But that firewood isn't solid obviously. The cunit was used when purchasing by the cord, and converting to wood substance. It was a quick way to convert from a slick scale on the truck. One saw mill still buys on cunits near here the last I heard. The price was better than Irving, but never as good as Fraser's. My intuition tells me it wasn't 100 ft3 after all. It's like Ron says, no matter what scale you sell on the price is adjusted. :D

Gary, I'm not ready to hang my saw up yet for the year. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chucker

550 mbf for a band saw... circle saw 500 mbf is the going figure for a cord of 8" small end 100" sticks to a cord that is 4x4x8 = 128 cf! a cord of blocked wood cut to 16" lengths will produce a total of 120 cf!  a cord of blocked/split an stacked  will produce a total of  measuring out at 4'x16"x22.5 feet in length..... according to the grass routes  wood cutter pamplet handed out at out local fuel assistance office. as can be seen from their figures there is about a 8 cf. loss from sawing each 16" block from an 8' length/cord equaling a 120cf cord of sawed wood... thrown randomly into a conveyance for delivery it would total a sum of 160 cf.... which is a standard for sales here in centeral minnesota....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

chucker

:D  "THANKS"  excuse the dumb fingers hey? lol
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

4x4American

Quote from: Climber on January 08, 2008, 09:22:24 PM
Theoretically / mathematically ONLY
1 cord = 4x4x8 = 128 cubic feel
board foot is 1"x12"x12" or 1/12 of cubic foot
12 BF is 1 cubic foot
12 BF in each cubic foot x 128 cubic feet in cord = 1,536 BF in cord.

It is theoretically / mathematically ONLY and NOT practically
Climber

I typed into google, how many bdft in a cord of wood, and it told me 1,536, which I knew was way off.  Now I see how they figured!
Boy, back in my day..

BEEMERS

Ive recently had an experience with this..cord versus mbf.I believe when selling by the cord you are selling the volume of wood within that 4x4x8 ft area including bark,slabwood and air space between the logs.
By the board foot or thousand board feet the buyer is buying only the lumber he can calculate that he can get from each log and any air space or waste he is not buying..
I sold some 14 foot oak recently..I knew what I had in cordage..he scaled inside the bark on the small ends..and there was a good bit of taper as these were 14'6 and mostly butt logs.
Anyway..I lost 2/5ths scaling as opposed to cordage..He was paying 500 per thousand..I guess that should be in at $250 per cord..I got $155 a cord but that's fine..I get that he didn't want to pay for what he wasn't going to get in lumber.
This was black oak,nothing special.

David-L

How about the guy who set up a cord of 4' wood split and dead end stacked to make 4x4x8. Then he took 2" x4" woven wire garden fence and placed it up against the wood up right and then proceeded to count air space within the 2"x4" wire squares and came up with only 84 cubic ' of solid wood in the 128cu/ft pile. I beleive it was in the woodland Steward a few years back. Think he had time on his hands and most likely was a wood fanatic. Not really a bad thing to be though.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

SwampDonkey

Air space on the ends of sticks does not translate to the whole length of the sticks I'm afraid. ;)

lynde37avery

One cord of firewood pulls behind my skidder just the same as 500bf saw logs.
Detroit WHAT?

Plankton

Quote from: ljmathias on January 07, 2008, 06:28:36 AM
Still trying to get my mind around this- so 4X4X8 is the same as 2X4X16.  So if I had 16' logs, 12" in diameter, I could lay down two logs wide (2') and stack them four logs high, right?  That means 8 12" logs 16' long- how would this scale out then, same as indicated at 500 bdf?

Lj

This thread is almost as old as I am but I ran these numbers real quick. Kinda interesring.

On international  scale which is used around here, a 16 ft 12" top log is 95 bdft. So 8 logs are 760 ft.

But obviously there logs so at the but end the logs stacked would be "larger" then a chord anyways. The calculation only works if they have no taper.

If I pulled 8 16s at 12" and bucked them in half and piled them it would stack up to be over a chord.

I think 500 ft per chord is accurate enough, I average around 500 ft behind the skidder ussually and I have been pulling pulp last few days and a chord pulls exactly the same as around 500 ft. Logger math!

cuznguido

:D :D Eight years, one month and a few days and we still don't know.  Tis indeed cold outside.

David-L

SwampDonkey, I was wondering the same thing. We forget though, he probably had an engineering degree and had an equation to average out air over the 4'.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

SwampDonkey

I have seen, and I know it is done, where you have large piles of wood strung along roadside in tree length form. They will use an average length and depth of the pile every so often and use tree length tables to estimate volumes. They usually do several samples. These piles are long and high, it's not feasible to scale every stick. It's all going to be weight scaled at the mill anyway for the final tally. It's more or less done to track the wood and production. Machines now can scale every stick as it's processed.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2016, 03:55:08 AM
Machines now can scale every stick as it's processed.

Is that in the woods or at the mill?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

barbender

If the operator has his machine calibrated correctly, our Ponsse processors will usually have volumes tallied right on the money.  They keep it logged on the machine computer.
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

Not an exact number for certain, had a friend try to figure this years ago, before I knew of the FF,  wanted to know if the value 0f logs would be worth more if converted to firewood,, back when the flooring market kinda dropped and log prices went down, as did a lot of things, anyway the number given early on in this topic of 500bd/ft is pretty darn close,  I converted 8 logs that scaled 520bd/ft, into firewood just this year, and the stack all though not measured, memory serves me that this is a very reasonable estimation.  We have all busted some big ones that fill a stack pretty quick, and others where one split gives only two chunks,  I did a dozed tree just after building, big ole red oak,(before the mill was here) that tree produced 6 face cords, so that's a lil better than 2 cords,  so a thousand bd/ft may have been in that tree,  uh,, interesting, I never figured it till now :D  fun stuff to mull over, now back out to the wood pile, oh boy,, (feeling lazy today) nerve pain gots me down a little this morning,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

went out and split just one log, 8'8" 55 bdft on the INT, scale  busted and stacked as tight as possible,

a real good measurement, 4' by 3' by 16"  I called it one foot,, figuring for air gaps,  12 cuft. if I figured right it would take 550+ bdft of logs to produce a cord of firewood, close as I can get or ever will again,, nice to know a closer ball park number,, these are pretty close,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

svart ole

500 bf in a cord is a fair guess in most cases. It all depends on the quality of the wood and size. At some point it gets back to the old saying about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If you are a sawmill man you know about swindle sticks a.k.a. log rules. In general there are 3 in common ones in use. This link will address all three and call out some of the differances between them. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/t01_pages/pdfs/1211_ScaleStick.pdf

If you are trying to make money sawing the logs you buy scaling can get as complex as you want to make it. This is very true if you as a buyer are trying to be fair to the person selling you wood and make sure you are getting what you are paying for.

If you have the time to read this and understand all of it you will be well on your way. If nothing else it will be a eye opener.
http://www.fs.fed.us/im/directives/fsh/2409.11/2409.11-NF%20LOGSCALING%20HDBK.pdf
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

RSteiner

I realize this is an old thread but I was looking something up in the Machinery's Handbook, mine is the eighteenth edition printed in 1970, and they had a section on wood weights and volume.  A cord of wood is a stack 4' wide, 8' long, and 4' high.  That figures out to 128 cubic feet.  Now we all know there are a lot of air spaces between those pieces of wood and the Handbook estimates there is 70 cubic feet of solid wood per cord.  That being said a cord of wood should contain 843 board feet.  Here's how I reached that conclusion, a board foot is 1" x 12" x 12" which equals .083 cubic feet ( 12 x 12 = 144 divided by 1728 ( the number of cubic inches in a cubic foot ) which equals .083, so 70 cubic feet divided by .083 comes close to 843 which would be the number of board feet in 70 cubic feet or a cord of wood be it pine or maple.

My figuring could be suspect as I graduated in the half of the class that made the top half possible.
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!