iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long does Yellow Pine need to season

Started by peter nap, January 06, 2008, 05:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

How long does Yellow Pine need to season before it can be used as a pole in a polebarn. I'm thinking about debarking some poles that will measure 6" at the top and using them instead of the 6x6's.

Tom

Poles that contact the ground should be pressure treated. To get them treated usually requires drying to 19 percent.  You might get a plant to treat a green pole to "point of refusal" but the treatment doesn't go through water in the sapwood or heartwood. 

I wouldn't use an untreated pole without some engineering to keep it off of the concrete or ground.  Even then It's not a good idea.

peter nap

These don't contact the ground. They are tenoned onto salt treated 6x6's.

MikeH

Dig hole put in HEAVY garbage bag, add used oil and diesel mix, insert pole.  ;D

solidwoods

Why not tenon your treated on the mill.
Nail laminate 2x6 to the treated with staggered joints.
Now you can make the 6x's as long as you want.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Considering your specs, Peter,   what need of drying considerations at all?
Debark immediately and proceed.

Set the salt 6X6s, bolt on the poles, set and brace them, assemble the top frames
and keep right on truckin'.

If you want the poles to really dry for the purpose of letting them get the twisting,
etc., overwith, them you probably want to give them a couple of years.  I doubt
whether that is necessary for a pole barn. 

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!