iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of the world's largest forklifts

Started by Ironwood, January 06, 2008, 12:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

A day out with my 5 year old son, and wanted to share some pics of a 130,000 lb. forklift being repainted and tidied up at a yard near me. It can supposedly lift 120,000 or so pounds. The triple stage mast is off and being painted and reworked. My son is the model in the pics. The Cat is 40,000lber

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ScottAR

Oh, the stuff I could tear up with that...   ::)   Great pics... 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

mike_van

I could have used that lift for the planer I moved!  Hourly rates are probably pretty steep though...............
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

asy

Or ya could have left the planer where it is and just moved the barn around it!!!

WOWWEE, I bet it was exciting!

Would love to have seen it in action!

Thanks for the photos.

By the way, is your son the same model as in your avatar? If so, he's sure grown!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

stonebroke

What did they use it to pick up? 120,000 is way more than a truckload.

Stonebroke

Ironwood

I have no idea what it was used for. Supposedly came from Russia. It was one of two.

Yes, he is the same guy as in my avitar.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawguy21

Machines similar to that are used to unload tree length off highway logging trucks. One pick. ;D
I have also seen them, from a distance, at the container terminals.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kcwoodbutcher

A friend of mine used to use one at a rail yard. Used to pick up containers from rail cars.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

stonebroke

Yeah but isn't 120,000 way more than acontainer should weigh?

Stonebroke

sawguy21

Yes but there is a safety factor built in. The machine CAN lift that much but don't consistently push it to the limit.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 07, 2008, 10:29:52 AM
Yes but there is a safety factor built in. The machine CAN lift that much but don't consistently push it to the limit.

And the other reason is the operator sometimes stacks one container on top of the other and drives away with two, or maybe three!  :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ironwood

The folks where I saw it are simply painting and refurbishing it. I have a feeling they may be used for Defense Dept. work. We have a facility near here that rebuilds Bradley's and APC's and Howitzers and others I cannot identify.  Perhaps it is going there to move tanks. This would be a very feasible thing as some of them weigh almost 100 G's. Just a thought, and it came from somewhere over seas and it is now only 30 miles froom the defense contractors site (there must be 100's and 100's of tanks i nthere storage area, you can see them from the highway. Also they are building the new IED trucks (Badgers) over the mountain in Johnstown Pa. that would be another possiblity although less heavy, still pretty stout.

Ironwood

Furby

I think you are gonna be real surprised when you find out an older fellow bought it for scrap price and is having it gone over so he can move his personal stash of firewood around the yard. ;) :D :D :D

ScottAR

You see lifts of that size (probably smaller actually)  at factories here on
occasion when it's time to install or change out some factory machines.
One factory here had some punch presses installed and they used a rig
like that to move them. 

Can't use a crane in a building unless the roof is opened up. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!