iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beech for timber framing

Started by peter nap, January 05, 2008, 11:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

I have a lot of large Beech trees and several that are in danger of uprooting due to a flood. Are they fit to use as beams?

pineywoods

Don't know about your location, but around here beech trees of any size are almost always hollow or at least punky in the center. Not much chance of getting heart centered beams.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

nsmike

I've seen barn frames for sale that were beech so it can be used for timber frames. The wood is rated as nondurable so using it higher in the frame makes sense It is difficult to dry so it checks and moves. it also has high shrinkage. If you frame with green wood,  joint design becomes important. White oak has high shrinkage and is used green in frames all the time so it can be done.
Mike

Don P

I installed a beech beam a few weeks ago. It is one I had sawed a couple of years ago and had been in the stack since. It had moved and checked quite a bit so I straightened and planed it before use. It is quite strong, in the beech/birch/hickory group strength class. I would be leery of using it green though.

nsmike

I agree with Don P, there is a big difference in framing heated and unheated buildings. The frames I've heard of in both ash and beech are almost always barn frames and not house frames. I suspect that there is a reason for that.
Mike

peter nap

Thanks Guys! I guess they go in the firewood pile. At least they burn well.

How well does yellow pine work green?

nsmike

The beech doesn't have to become firewood, cut oversized and allowed to season, it would work fine in a house. SYP is noted for its strength and stability after drying, it can move a lot while drying, also kiln drying can set the pitch making for timbers that are easier to handle and use. SYP is popular for timberframing in the South but I've always hear about them using kiln dried pine.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!