iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

books on grading logs and lumber

Started by AtLast, May 02, 2003, 04:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

Can anyone tell me  where I can get a book or manual that teaches proper grading of logs and lumber. Ive tried the library and Boarders and such to no avail. ???

Ron Wenrich

There's a couple of ways to approach your needs.  

Here is a link for hardwood log grades:
hardwood log grades

For hardwood lumber grades, you can get a copy of the NHLA grade book at:  NHLA lumber grade

We also have hardwood grading rules in the knowledge base :
Inspector Woody @ the Knowledge Base

Or you can buy any forestry mensuration book and they will cover log grading and cruising and a whole lot more.  The Forestry Handbook is an excellent resource.  The price tag is a little steep at $225.  I bought mine for $50 when they first came out in 1984.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Whatever happened to Inspector Woody? He sorta disappeared.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

inspectorwoody

Hmm...Come across this old post that I missed and saw that Jeff thought I disappeared! Well ya all know I am back now...just a young buck that tends to get side tracked more less over those dang women  ;D Well after getting side tracked here again lately and finding out that the young ladies of today are nothing but trouble, its back to the wood! At least wood isn't after your money, doesn't get argumentive, is happy any where doing anything, doesn't get upset when you want time away etc. etc.  ;D  :D

Anyway on to the what I should be telling ya...Just a little add on to what Ron had mentioned.

For Logs there is a Log Rules and other useful information booklet put out by the NELA or Northeastern Loggers Association.

The National Hardwood Lumber Association has many helpful books etc. for grading lumber.

NHLA Rule Book $7.00
An Illustrated Guide to Hardwood Lumber Grades $7.00
An Introduction to Grading Hardwood Lumber $2.00
NHLA Inspection School Manual (Illustrated) $22.00
What is Hardwood and How is it Graded? (Video) $75.00
Lumber Grading (Video) $75.00

I am sure some of you have found the NHLA Website and found this information on there but I figured for those of you who haven't, it would come in handy.

Tom

BRTB Grading Rules
Been Round The Block

#1 common
-If she hasn't looked at you and smiled
-If she has rings on her hands and toes
-if she has a cigarette hanging from her lips
-if she needs a country club to show off her new dress
-If she is waiting for someone to bring her something
-if she can't cook from scratch
-if she wears designer casuals
-if you think she is the greatest thing you ever saw

Select
+if she looks at you and smiles
+if she initiates a conversation and can really talk
+if she holds your hand
+if she enjoys bringing you something
+if she would rather go fishing than see a movie
+If she's as happy with a restaurant as a country club
+if she doesn't question where you were last night
+if she thinks you are the greatest thing she ever saw

FAS (and always)
++she wants you happy
++she takes pride in fixing your clothes
++she doesn't mind your tracking dirt on the floor for a moment
++she loves kids
++she thinks your family is great
++she takes your efforts at success seriously
++she likes to feed you
++she can keep books and handle finances
++she keeps books and handles finances so you can be successful
++she thinks you are the greatest thing she ever saw

OTKGPR   Free
Old Timer's Keeper-Girl Picking Rules

Fla._Deadheader

Give me an old fashioned girl ANY day. Of course, in my case, that ain't that long ago !! ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Inspector, I know just what you mean about them women. ;)

Tom, What's below #1common? I think that's my category. :-/

Deadheader, To bad for us, but I don't think they make very many of them "old fashion girls" any more. :'(

Tom

There's some two, three, four common and some drag-the-bottom-of-the-pond grades for the trash, but, I've tried to keep my sights higher than that, Furby.  

A partner can drag you down to the bottom or push you to the top and you don't get to choose one every day.  It helps for a young fellow to be aware enough to make a good choice the first time.  For some, who learn, it takes more than once and you get spotted in the back everytime you change. :)

Furby

I try to keep my sites set WAY higher then that, but they just don't make them like they used to!  :'( ???
 Nowa days, in order to make that "good choice the first time" means a lot of lonely nights until you find one even worth making a choice over. ;D

inspectorwoody

I like those grading rules  ;D

And Furby is right...A LOT of lonely nights and I think I will be spending plenty more now and that is fine with me. Spent plenty before I met this and though this one was grand until....Seems like the girls of today just want to party, spend your money and practice making little them and if you aren't giving them all three you might as well jump off the train before they do something to make you fall off....I fell off and boy did it hurt but after some phone calls with people that know her better than me, it is a lot easier to get up and dust myself off and move on.

All of you guys out there that have found a lady that loves what you do as far as sawing etc. are lucky because I don't think there are any that were born in my generation.  :D

I look at this way....more money for me....more time with my father....and more time on the Forestry Forum with all the great people that enjoy the same thing.

Fla._Deadheader

Where ya been lookin? I would druther look DEEP into the farming -logging area families. Seems that girls that have to do chores would really appreciate someone that had a "town" job and was trying to get self employed.
  Ever hear the song by Triny Lopez; " If ya wanna be happy for the rest of yer life, never make a "fancy" woman yer wife"???
  My lady was never fancy; won't even wear lipsmear. However, she is one beautiful woman and I ain't tradin !!!! She now is getting crippled with Arthritis, and I can't do anything to relieve her pain and frustration. That is hard to watch, but, she does endure, with little complaining. She gets more upset with me and my crazy projects, but, that keeps her going !!
  I have a 37 year old Daughter that would make someone a great wife. She was treated badly several times and has quit looking. Too bad, I feel that I have a lot to offer a grand baby ::) ::) :(  Oh well;  Dustin, "come on down". ;D ;) ;) :D :D

Boy, is this me ??????
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Woody where ya finding these women??? Ya cruising the bar for them???
  A real woman won't make ya broke nor will they drag you into their problems.
  I meet some really nice women when I'm out roller-blading or walking at 5 in the morning.
  The bar thing worked great when I was 19 but at 36 it would be a joke to pick up a woman there as most of them are trailer trash. :D :D :D
  I'm single and divorced and I like being this way and I like the fact that my 2 best friends are woman. :)
  Maybe one day that special person will come along but in the mean time I'm not looking. ;D

Steve

inspectorwoody

:D I didn't meet this one at the bar. I'm not a bar/club person as I prefer to have a few drinks at home or at a buddies house. Met this one through a friend. Living around my small town you would think the farm girls etc. would be every where but there seem to be none! Oh well as biziedizie said For now he is single and likes it this way and his two best friends are women. I think I feel the same way. I figure if I quit looking than someone will pursue me and than I know they want to be with me for me...or will I!?  ;)

Never heard that song Fla. Deadheader but I think I will find it and everytime I meet a girl play it for her and tell her if she don't fit with that song, shes gone  ;D :D Just kidding!

Fla._Deadheader

Ya gotta tune to "The Oldies Station" on yer radidio. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Fla_
  Does your daughter cook??? What kinda boat does she own??? Got any pics of the boat??? :D :D

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Diz, ever seen my "profile" ??? :o :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Yeppers I read your profile, you the boat building man. 8)
  Have you done much sailing??? Sailing is my thing and I'm building one at the moment. Was into the power boats till I bought my first sail boat and I will never turn back.
  I just love the sound of nothing!

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Not "THAT" profile ::) ::)  The one that answers yer question ??? ;D ;D
  Oh yeah, "Blow Boats"; They don't work so well when the wind stops. ::) ::) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

O.K I'm lost. :D Which profile??? I need directions :D :D

Steve

Furby

I'm lost as well! :-/ You don't think he means his pic. do ya? ??? :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Bud Man

Woddy my friend you might get that Triny Lopez tune for amusement, but don't pay much attention to it cause she's gonna get ugly with you soon enough , Darn sure don't want to start out with a U-Gly one thats hard to look at. :o.  Just pay attention to the facial expressions( :), ;), :D, ;D, >:(, :(, 8), ???, ::), :-[, :-X, :-/, :-*, :'(,etc. and her reactions to how she responds to you doing what comes Natural To You. Don't hold nothing back and candy coat things as to what your likes and dislikes are !  As a matter of fact, It'd be a good idea to get her upset a couple of times to see how she reacts.  Run out of gas on purpose and see how good she is at pushing a car a couple of miles, have a flat tire on purpose and see if she can change a flat without moaning and groaning, serve her up a burnt burger or steak, you know things like that and then ---Up The Anty a little and see just what she will put up with !  Just be yourself and don't settle for one that ain't easy to look at and one that ain't willing to go the extra mile to catch ya !!!   Worked For Me--At Least  The Third One Did   :o
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Furby

QuoteDon't settle for one that ain't easy to look at and one that ain't willing to go the extra mile to catch ya !!!    :o

NOW he's getting the idea, and seeing the problem!!!!! That leaves out about 99.999999999999999999999% of them women folk! ;D
I'll fight ya for that .0000000000000000000001% Woody! :D

inspectorwoody

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D @ Furby! I'll stay single and let you have that .0000000000000000001%  ;D

Its amazing how they can do 150% turn around when they know you aren't going to take any guff. I pretty much told her how it was and she is doing her part in coming to me...wish for one day they could make up their mind!  ;) I'm not about to jump back into anything as my sights are set higher now and if she don't reach my eye level well than....

I won't be candy coating nothing now Budman! I see it as I don't have much to lose. I do need new tires pretty bad so maybe one of these days when its like 100 degrees out, I will get a flat and tell her its too hot for me to put the spare on  ;)

She suprised me tonight though....Came home from work and had a headache so I took a good ol' cold shower and went to sleep. Out of no where, not expecting her one bit, she was at my side  :o I think she is kissing a lil ash  ;D Agree?  ;)

beenthere

Ahhh Inspectorwoody. :D
I's just a sittin' and a grinin' and a readin' between your lines.  :D ;D

Ohh - to be young again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!