iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Chapter TF weekend

Started by ljmathias, January 03, 2008, 06:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

We kinda hijacked the "price per square foot" thread with an idea on an "Intro to Timber Framing" weekend course- could call it a short-course, I guess, but we'd want to use fairly long timbers. :D

Several members around the Mississippi area expressed interest and I think we should have a go at it.  Will also list this in the "Meetings" forum but things tend to get lost there- I lost track of the first Southern Chapter get together when it was shifted there so I thought it worthwhile to at least have some brainstorming and such on this thread- it is about timberframing afterall.

Anyway: long weekend format, maybe all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday?  or Saturday, Sunday and Monday?  The latter would allow anyone who had to get back to work on Monday to attend the beginning sessions.  Thoughts on time length for such an event?  Of course, the course isn't meant to be a full-fledged week-long event, just an intro to allow those of us just starting to get some basic knowledge and start skill and habit development the right way- it's a whole lot easier to start a new habit right than to change a bad habit later.

Next issue: when?  I vote for spring when it's warm enough not to freeze our fingers while we work but early enough we don't have to worry about planting (?) and cutting the grass yet.  I'd suggest Feb-March although April might be good also.

Next is location: I volunteer my place for several reasons.  My "big barn" will be up- 30X60 enclosed with sawmill in a 12X60 shed on the side and plenty of doors and windows to get stuff in and out.  Plus, I won't have it filled up yet with "stuff and things," as my son says about all our junk.  I also have a timber frame workshop that I've started (baby steps but some of the joints look ok to me) and have a full set of plans for that.  We could finish that or start something new.  Next, I have tools- Makita 16" saw and a chain mortizer that works great, plus all the assorted hand tools for one worker that we could share among a small group.  Also have a small hand planar but would need a big one if get into finishing in a serious way.  Last, I've got a whack of timbers already cut (from all the way back to Katrina days) which is both good and bad: lots of size variations to choose from but red oak dried for over a year might be a bear to cut.  Very last, I'm willing to kick in a fair amount for expenses for selfish reasons: I want to really learn how to do this and want something concrete to come out the other end that will be useful and will show what can be done.

Group size should be fairly small, I guess- maybe a dozen at most?  But that would require that everyone who attends bring their own hand tools.  If we had another beam saw and mortizer we'd probably be alright with that number.

Housing: some first-responders (to the list anyway) indicate they have their own RV.  Plenty of room on our land to camp and we can have outdoor showers and port-a-pottys ready by then.  Might have a room or two in the house but that depends on wife permission, son's family status here, and lots of other things.  Oh, we do have lots of hotels around and that might work if that was the major expense for attendees?

Food: everyone bring their own but we have a couple of grills and lots of place for open fires to cook, and if the group is small enough, the wife might (let's hope) whip up a batch of taco soup or red beans and rice.  We also have a turkey frier and one or two others brought along would make a great evening meal.

Attendance fee: I don't know- I'm willing to kick in a fair chunk but overall expense would depend on who the instructor/leader was and how far they had to come.  Jim Rogers is one option but it's my impression he does mainly week-long events and besides, he lives way, way up there in Yankee land where there's snow on the ground even as we speak- long drive for him.  Any body else come to mind that's easy driving distance?  Alabama or Georgia, maybe Tennessee or Lousiana?  Maybe even Texas, although that is getting into no-man's land in a geographic sense: I don't think they think of themselves as "southeners" do they?

Any other concerns you all can think of?  Suggestions?

Should we keep this on the timberframing forum for a while to get the word out better or move to "meetings" right away?

Maybe we could cut the worlds longest SYP board at the same time (Naw! too many irons in one fire)....

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ljmathias

Oh, and just a thought: this doesn't have to be limited to just timber framing.  Would be a great opportunity for a Saturday lunch or dinner barbecue/turkey fry/pot luck, whatever for everyone within driving distance to come visit and get to know each other better.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

firecord

Awhile back, Logdog (Landon) proposed the same thing.  He's in NW Louisiana Haven't heard anything about it since.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=20298.0
Anyway count me in 4 days, 5 days - don't matter, I'll make the time.  Just let me know how much would be my fair share and it's yours.

Ricky

ljmathias

Ricky (firecord): great, thanks for the fast response.  So far, people interested include:

Ricky (firecord)
Pineywoods
Pineywoods son
Donnie (DWM II)
Lj (me that is)
My daughter (who is also an accomplished bag piper and mother)
maybe one of my sons

Couple more and it's worth serious detail planning.

Lj

FrankLad

As you aren't too far up the road from me, it would be a shame if I didn't try and make it out there.  :)

Looking forward to see how things pan out.  Keen on finding out a firm date.

I think this is a great thing to do.  Count me as interested.

Radar67

I'll have to see how my schedule works out. All my help is off to schools right now.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ljmathias

Thanks, Frank/Radar, I'll add you to the interested list.

Looking at dates: how about the second week in March, say Friday, March 7 or that Saturday? We can plan on the weekend, or as one of the interested responders said, maybe we could go a full week... thoughts?

Lj

Expatriated Texan

LJ,

I rarely post but am the ultimate lurker. I was planning on registering for the Grand Oaks school but you can never get enough training.  I am years away from building my house but plan on building a timber framed workshop soon. 

I live in West GA so count me in for your plans also. 

Thanks for trying to put this together. 

Jim_Rogers

It's time for you who have said they are interested to step up and make a commitment so this workshop is a success for all.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

firecord

DWM II

Stewardship Counts!

ljmathias

The workshop is definitely on so any latecomers, please don't hesitate to let me know.  I've got copies of the Build a Traditional Timber Frame book coming to send to everyone ahead of time plus some additional information from Jim on tools and such.  We do have some cheapish motels in the Hattiesburg area (10 miles from us) so you might want to check hotels.com or other discount suppliers.  Also, feel free to camp  or RV on the land- plenty of room for that and weather should be warm (although dry we can't promise- rains off and on this time of year).

Got 1/4 of the metal siding on the big barn and 1/8 of the metal roofing- hopefully will have all the roofing on by the workshop.  Putting up 28' sheets of 26 gauge ain't a one-man job, much to my dismay, but the neighbor and my son have been helping and we're making steady progress.

Lj

DWM II

LJ, is there room under roof in the barn for a small tent? I'd like to stay on the farm but staying dry might be important also. Also, will there be a port-o-can available?

I like the book selection as well (I aint got that one yet). Who wrote that one? I've got one by Chappell and one by Benson already.

Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

ljmathias

Here's the book Jim recommended; got 8 on order and should be here early next week- I'll ship them to attendees as soon as I get them.

Build a Classic Timber-Framed House
Planning & Design/Traditional Materials/Affordable Methods
(Paperback)
by Jack A. Sobon

Also ordered a couple extra Barr chisels and some mallets so we should have tools available for anyone that needs them.  Of course, you're much better off bringing your own since that's what you'll use on your own TF projects.

Lj

ljmathias

Forgot to address the "dry" part- sure, you can stay in the barn but it has a concrete floor... we have some air mattresses if you don't have your own.  I'm hoping the weather will be fine by then.

And yes, I plan on a port-a-port as long as I don't have to do the porting- got to find out who supplies those around here.

Radar67

LJ, Southern On Site Sanitation is one I've used recently. They are very reliable.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Expatriated Texan

LJ,

Is this confirmed for Mar 7?....or that weekend?...or did we decide to go all week?

I have that book but need to know how much the check is and where to send.

Thanks, Brian

ljmathias

We're definitely "go" for March 7-13, six fun-filled days of education and hands-on training led by Jim Rogers (from the Forestry Forum) who will be flying down to work with us.  We'll start early Friday morning to give those who can only do a long weekend a chance to participate.  For those who can stay, we'll continue on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with more advanced work.  Hope you can join us.

Lj

ljmathias

Somehow we (meaning me) got two topics going on the same event- some of the information is on the other post a few lines down but in short, cost is $200 for the weekend and $450 for the entire 6 days.  More information forthcoming shortly.

Lj

ljmathias

Looks like we have at least 6 and maybe 8 attendees so were definitely going to hold the workshop- sent Jim Rogers a deposit and he'll get reservations shortly for the trip down.  I'll be sending out more information on what to bring shortly but anyone else interested in either the short or the long version of the workshop let me know as soon as you can.

BTW, got 2/3 of the siding up on the barn we'll be working in and 1/8th of the metal roof on- plus build a passal of sawhorses for us to work on.  Probably build a couple more sets over the next two weeks- time is getting short...

Lj

DWM II

Hey LJ, sounds like its shaping up well. I take it you received my deposit?
Stewardship Counts!

ljmathias

Yes, I did- meant to email you.  Got a call from another attendee last night- looks like we'll have a great turnout and I think it will be a great experience.

Lj

ljmathias

I'll post this here now and send PM's to everyone next week; gives a chance for new sign-ups to respond without the PM:

Anyone interested in sharing a room at a local motel for all or part of the workshop March 7-13, please let me know.  I'll keep the list private and just send to those who respond that they are interested.

Lj

ljmathias

Sorry to bother you all again- I need snail mail addresses for all the participants so I can send out a copy of Sobon's book for you to study before you get here.  Also, take a look at the Tools for Timber Framing and make sure you have a minimum to get started.  I have a few extra chisels and planes but the mallets I ordered are backordered- if you don't have framing chisels and mallets, let me know so we can have enough for everyone to work productively on their own.

Lj

submarinesailor

LJ,

I'm sure you already thought about this, but don't forget to setup some type of sharpening station/area.

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!