iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Border crossing with equipment?

Started by Sprucegum, December 30, 2007, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

With all this Dang snow to push around I have decided I want need a crawler/dozer for trail clearing , log skidding , etc.

I have spotted a D4 in the MachineryTrader and its right next door in Montana, only a 12 hour drive.

Question is what kind of hassle might I expect at the border bringing across used equipment?
Can I even go there and back without a passport anymore?

BTW How heavy is a D4?

Don_Papenburg

I was talking with some Canadians about bordercrossing W/machines .  They sometimes buy machines or bring machines to shows . He told me that before crossing back into Canada  he takes the machine to a carwash and cleans it to spotless .  That makes the boader crossing go smoother because there is less of a chance that he is transporting  noxious weeds in seed form.
I know that we have to have a pasport to reenter US now.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

isawlogs

That would be around five tons ... give or take .

You can cross with out a pass port , you need two peices of id with picture and adress ... brith certificate being one , driving licence the other .

There is a 200$ or something close to it for registrating fee with da fedaralies , ya need to pay GST on it also .  >:(

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sprucegum

I forgot about that Dang GST  >:( at least its down to 5% now  ::)

Thanks for the info Guys
Maybe I will just offer a little bonus if he will deliver  ;)

isawlogs

With all the money the feds are raking in  they could well do with out it .  >:( >:( >:( >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Reddog

What year? The weight can be quite a bit higher on the newer machines. A modern D4 is 20,000lbs.

sawguy21

He may not be able to deliver without a lot of hassle. Talk to a customs broker to find out what paper work is required.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scgargoyle

5 ton machine+trailer+truck+70 MPH+ What border checkpoint? :D :D :D (Might have some splainin' to do once ya stop, though....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

sawguy21

A druggie tried that here recently. He did not get far. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

Cat shows the latest D4G XL at 17,300 lbs. The D4G LGP is 18,100 lbs. Thats without fuel or dirt.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

isawlogs

I did not go hunting for the weight of the D4 , I just sortof thought it was close to the JD550 I sent up north last year ... it weighd in at 12,000lbs  I think the older ones where somewhat lighter . But  I could be wrong ....  With the Serial Numbers you can get the weight of them on the Cat site .  ;)

Marcel

Sprucegum

:( I missed out on the deal, someone closer had cash in hand  :(

I was a good chat anyway  :)

isawlogs

Theres a little Deer 450 with cab for sale close by , no border crossing involved .  ;) A short drive every day for a couple of days and you would be here .  :)

Marcel

submarinesailor

Sprucegum,

I spoke with my wife about your importation question and she referred me to the US Customs and Border Protection site (AGAIN).  By going to the question and answer part I was able to find out that your area of interest should with your "Canada Border Services Agency".  I found a link that I think may help you.  It's called "Accounting for your shipment" at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/accountingintro-e.html.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Sprucegum

Thanks for the link Bruce, its nice to see the gov't working so hard to keep track of me  ;D  ;D

sawdust

Yes thank you Bruce, I have been looking a wood processor. I know where to find the paperwork even if I have no clue how to fill it out!

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

isawlogs

I am only a few minutes from the border , if you need any info , I can easily go there and ask .  :P :)

Marcel

customsawyer

I just crossed the border last week in NB from Maine. Going into Canada they didn't even ask for a ID of any kind coming into the US. they asked for drivers licence and that is all. I had gotten all the passport and such with birth certificate but nobody ask for it. I was not hauling any equipment just the wife. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sprucegum

I got it !  8)  That's my smilin' face on the old D4  8)

I saw it was still listed on the trader so I called him again, the cash deal had failed to mature and he was now willing to deliver. The border guard on the Canadian side was a real S.O.B.  :-[   :-\  and spent 4 HOURS trying to find something to charge him with but he eventually got through.

semologger

Congrats.  8)  Now the fun starts. Were is the roof? That makes me nervous running equipment without  that protection.

Sprucegum

Makes me nervous too  :)  I'll be building a canopy soon as I get my tape measure thawed out.

Reddog

The trouble with putting covers on the old D4's and D2's, it is hard to find good attachment points. Many a person has been squished between the canopy and tractor. Just be like the old timers and learn when to jump. ;)
Or just be careful have fun and don't push the machine to it's limits.

By the way NICE LOOKING CAT!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

jesse

remeber to add the seat belt when building

Thank You Sponsors!