iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western NY forester/logger recommendations please

Started by TGofWNY, December 30, 2007, 06:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGofWNY

Hey yall, I am new to the "landowner" life - 134 acres in Cattaraugus county (western NY). I want to start planning for the future of the property. I dont want to just let a logger go in and get me the most money for my timber. I want to do what's best for the long term health of the property (and my bank account). Picking a forester/logger when you know very little about it is a daunting task, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations here. Thanks in advance. - Tom

Ron Scott

Contact your local Conservation District Forester or DNR Service Forester or a Professional Consulting Forester serving your area for advice and recommendations. You might want to have a Landowner Forest Stewardship Plan completed for your property to establish the management direction to meet your desired objectives. 
~Ron

Craig

Quote from: TGofWNY on December 30, 2007, 06:14:59 PM
Hey yall, I am new to the "landowner" life - 134 acres in Cattaraugus county (western NY). I want to start planning for the future of the property. I dont want to just let a logger go in and get me the most money for my timber. I want to do what's best for the long term health of the property (and my bank account). Picking a forester/logger when you know very little about it is a daunting task, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations here. Thanks in advance. - Tom

Check out http://www.nyfoa.org/ New York Forest Owners Association. I am sure they could help you out.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Ever Green

I grew up in Springville.  So I new Catt, County very well.  I have done some logging/firewood jobs there.  There is a retired forester/timber buyer that I worked quite a bit.  His name is Joe Kuhn.  He lives down in Great Valley(by Eville).  He retired from Fitz & Weller in Eville).  I am very good friend with the family.  He still cruises woodlots from time to time.  He is a wealth of knowledge, believe me...he would be exactly what you were looking for...and as for a logger, he can help you with that also...you make a lot of contacts in 40 yrs on the job...

Send me a PM and I will get you the info...

Vince
Vince

bitternut

First welcome to the forum TGofWNY. You will find this site a very informative place to visit.

Second I have some suggestions for you with your stewardship. Since you say you have the long term goal of your forests health as one of your priorities I would think the starting place would be to join New York Forest Owners Association. Here is the link to their website.

http://www.nyfoa.org/

They are a very worthy organization for a landowner to be a member of.

My next  move would be to contact your regional state forester. Since you are in Cattaraugus  County I think you would contact Wayne Cooper in Allegany, NY. Try this number (716-372-0645)

This would get you started with the process of establishing your goals and a plan. He can also give you a list of foresters to choose from. Most foresters will walk your land with you for free to get you started. A plan is necessary in order to apply for any funding which may come along to assist landowners. No plan no funding.

A forest is a long term venture so it is imperative that you do it right. We humans do not live long enough to correct most mistakes we might make in silviculture.

After you have done all of the above and only after should you consult or contact a logger. Nothing against loggers but that is the wrong way since most loggers have their best interests in the fore front, not yours.

There is nothing like walking through your own woods and seeing things growing and changing over the years. I know I have had the pleasure for several years now and hope for many more. For that reason I strongly suggest you establish a plan. Good luck in your venture.

thecfarm

I would take this slow and easy if you plan on keeping this land for years to come.Just like was mentioned get a plan done.Yes this may cost some money,but in the long run it will be worth it if you don't know much about the woods.There are many horror stories about loggers taking advantage of land owners.If you contant a logger and he says he can be there in a couple weeks,be real careful of them.Good loggers should be booked for months ahead.Once you decide on one get references and contact the land owners if you have not seen the sites they have cut on.This will help you to see what your land will look like when they get done.It will look alot differant after being logged.I have talked to some people that complained their land looked like a bomb went off on it after it was logged.Some do a big mess,but some do not.Get some help and things will go well for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!