iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ebac woes

Started by Grawulf, December 30, 2007, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

Back in Sept. when the forum went down, I'd started a thread about my LD 800 losing coolant. Concensus was to find a HVAC tech - that most parts (like coils) could be fabricated from common stuff. I took your advise and had the local career center adult ed. class look at it. They made a new cooling coil and recharged it and it runs like a champ again
8). The price........five pizzas and drinks.  8)  8)  8) I do need your help in locating a new pot. for the universal controller (compressor control lost its continuous run setting) Anybody found a parts supplier for Ebac kilns? I've come up kinda empty handed. Thanks!
Devan

Kcwoodbutcher

I've got an LD800 also. I have the schematics which may list the resistance of that pot. It is a little weird in that it basically has an on/off switch at the end of the turn rather than the beginning. You might try just cleaning it. I'll look up the diagram and let you know, if it common you might be able to get it at Radio Shack or a electrical parts house.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Grawulf

Kc,
The pot lost its detent - I can slip it into continuous mode but it slips right back out. If you can find the info, that'd be great!  Thanks       Devan

Kcwoodbutcher

The new schematics don't specify any values on the pot. I'll have to dig out some old ones I have and check them. You might also be able to wire around the pot with a toggle switch- just flip it on to bypass the pot and be in the continuous mode. I'll get back to you tonight.

Grawulf

What a good idea.............why didn't I think o' that???? ??? Although there really isn't that much difference between 90% and continuous, is there............Thanks again Kc.  Devan

Kcwoodbutcher

The old schematics I have are only of the box, not the controller. I looked at my controller and I was wrong, it's not a special pot just a run of the mill regular one with an on/off switch (thus the detent for the continuous mode.) Pull the thing out, measure the resistance- hope you have an ohmmeter- then go to Radio Shack and get a replacement. You shouldn't hurt the lumber running at 90% but it will take just a little longer to dry. If you are running less than full loads normally you wouldn't use continuous anyway.

Ironwood

FYI, one commercial guy I know runs LD-3000's continously, and says DONT run them over 50 degrees Cent. or you will shorten the life of the unit. I am sure it is the same for the 800.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

oakiemac

Grawulf, your posting was redundandant. If you have and EBac then you will have woes.
I bought a brand new LD-3000 a few years back and have had nothing but troubles. Anything that can break, will break on the unit. Anyways, don't run it at 100% or your coils will frost over put it at 80-90% max. So the problem you are having with the pot shouldnt really matter.
Become really good friends with that HVAC class because you will be needing them again and again. I have a buddy who is an HVAC guy and he could almost make a career out of working just on my Ebac. >:(
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

WOW, guess I am fairly lucky. I have only replaced one relay on mine running 40-50% time in 10+ years. No freezing up either.  ???

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kcwoodbutcher

The coils will freeze up at lower temps running at 100%.  It's the nature of the freon 134a. If you pressurize the system high enough to keep from freezing at the lower temps ( less than 100 F) then the pressure may be to high at the higher temps making the efficiency of the unit suffer because the dew point at the coils increases. The compressor also has to work harder under this higher pressure. If your coils are freezing up above 100 F then you are probably low on freon. By the way, I locked up the compressor on my LD 800 last night, I'm going to get to know this unit real well.

oakiemac

If you have gotten the impression that I'm less then pleased with EBAC then you are correct.
I own two Nyles-both bought used-and have not had a single hint of a problem. The brand spanking new ebac is nothing but troubles. I tend to tell this to anyone who is willing to listen, ebac certainly isn't.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!