iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Centrifugal Clutch

Started by EZ, May 01, 2003, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Hi Guys,
On a centrifugal clutch, is their any advanages to them and a manual clutch, beside not having to engage and disengage them. Do they stop the blade all the time when you idle the motor down.
EZ

Tom

Mine free wheels when the power is taken off.  It sure beats manual engagement VIA belt tightening etc.  Especially when the head is down at the other end of the mill.  I do miss having a brake to stop the blade and band wheels though.

Papa Dave

Mine has an industrial rated centrifugal clutch and I really like it. The thing I like most is that I can start and stop the blade with one hand. Now it does not have a brake, but it does not free wheel too long and that has not been a problem.

It is also a nice safety issue, if something goes wrong like a broken blade or a pinched blade, then you can shut the mill down quickly with one hand by the throttle.

Just my opinion ;D

Tom

Mine freewheels forever  It's that broken blade scenario that makes me wish for a brake.  My blade gets wadded up in the housing and cuts anything it touches or gets out of the housing and acts like a bull whip. Sure will make you run. :D  I can shut the throttle down and disengage the clutch but those big steel wheels will still run on. :-/ :)

Neil_B

Hey Tom, just stop greasing the bearings and eventually it will stop on their own. ;D
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Tom

I think what I have here is the rudimentary beginnings of a perpetual motion machine. :D  Scary :-/

Papa Dave

Sorry Tom:

Forgot to mention in my post that after I pull the throttle down to stop the machine, I RUN FAST AS I CAN AND STILL TRY TO LOOK COOL IN CASE SOMEONE IS LOOKING!!! 8)

EZ

Thanks guys, I think I will keep my manual clutch, because of the brake system on it. Thanks again.
EZ

dail_h

EZ,
   shouldn't be tuu hard to rig a brake on itI wouldn't think.
   Tom, When you mentioned those wheels freewheeling,it reminded me of an ocurence at one of the veneer mils that I worked at.We were cutting brick stock,the little slats that are between the layers,oak ,hickory ,beech,and other stuff.When we cut hard hardwood,we would have to tighten up the clutch on the spindle drive.Then when you finished a log before we disengaged the carriage clutch,while the veneer sheet was holding everything still,I'de yell to one of the guys pulling ""STICK IN""and he would put a 2x4 between the gears.I'de drop the core center a new log,be ready to cut and yell ''STICK OUT"whereupon the 2x4 was removed clutch engaged,log cut repeat.Anyway,I was abusing the chaps pretty bad on day,the boss was watching,I yelled"STICK IN',and before the lathe stopped the guy jammed a 2x4 in the moving gears! :o :o :o :o :o That 5ft tall cast iron gear just EXPLODED,the chaps rapidly dispursed,and the boss said lots of bad words ;D ;D ;D ;DWhen we put it back together we put a real brake on it .It's funny to remember it,but it wasn't funny then.    YEAH it was but I didnt dare laugh
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jason_WI

Speaking of centrifugal clutches, the one on my Norwood mill puked. It spit out the spring that prevents the shoes from making contact at idle. Now the blade continues to spin at idle which is a little dangerous :o

I called Norwood for a repair kit and they said there wasn't one. They would be glad to sell me a new one for $155 plus s/h. When I asked them the manufactorer of the clutch, they told me they didn't know >:( >:(  

How can a company that sells thousands of mills a year, each of them with a centrifugal clutch, not know where they get them from?????  ??? ???

Then it came to me. They have a centrifugal clutch fairy that places clutches under every one of the employees pillows at night...... ::)

I must of just fell off the turnip wagon...... Every time I call Norwood customer service( if you can call it that) it makes me wish I had the money to buy a Woodmizer...... arrrggg!

So can anyone point me to where I can get a centrifugal clutch with a 1" bore and a 5.5" dia B size pulley???

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Neil_B

Hey Jason,
Do you have a bearing/pulley shop anywhere near you? They shouldn't have any trouble getting you a clutch.
Motion Canada is where I've been getting my parts lately but not sure if you can find a similar company in the states.
www.motion-can.com

Good Luck
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Fla._Deadheader

Jason. A decent hardware store (NOT box store) can have a good selection of springs. Auto supplies, like NAPA could get one too. Much cheaperalso. Get extras. Go online and search "clutch parts" ????
  Controller still works great, thanks !!!!!!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BBTom

Jason,
Give Bearing Distributors Inc. a try.  I go there to get by belts and bearings and such. My local branch give fantastic service with great prices.  Check here to see if they have a branch near you.
http://www.bdi-usa.com/locations/view_locations_st.asp?State=WI
Good luck.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Andre

See ya
  Andre' B.

Thank You Sponsors!