iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post to Foundation Connection

Started by kettleviewtimber, December 29, 2007, 08:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kettleviewtimber

Below is a cross-section of my timber frame using a Stick Framed Floor. The cross-section is showing from top to bottom Post, Sub floor, 2 x 8 Blocking, Rim Joist TJI's, Sill Plate, Simpson Strap, Foundation w/ pilaster.  It's not showing drywall or SIP Panel.

This came from my designer.  Is this an accepted method for attaching frame to foundation?  I'm concerned about the way the 2 x 8 blocking is used.  I have all the posts cut so making the posts longer isn't an option. 

ARKANSAWYER

I do not like it.  I always try to make the post hit the foundation using a bracket like shown in the photo.

The 2x8's look like they are laying sideways and the crush factor of the ( my guess is they are PT pine)  will be to high and in 10 to 12 inch height of the floor joist you may get 1/2 + setteling.  If I had to use them I would stand them up long ways and try to put ones on the outside to cover the joint if possible. 
  My first choice since you have already cut the post is to get some oak and tenion it into the bottom of your post to get the height needed.  Off set the tennon to one side of center and a 2x4 tennon would be fine in a 8x8 post.  You could then run metal straps down the outside (hidden by siding and on corners on the two outside faces.  Would be alot better then sitting on the 2x8's unless they are dried oak or locust.
ARKANSAWYER

Jim_Rogers

It is an accepted way to block up under posts. But you can also put a tenon down into the blocks to locate the post so it can't slip or shift off the deck.
I have posted some picture of this here on the forum.
You should be able to find them with a search or look in my gallery....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

peter nap

Jim. I've been looking at your gallery. Is there a way to tell what threads your pictures are linked to. The pictures are very impressive but I'd love to see the discussion that goes with them.

Jim_Rogers

I thought there was a way to do that, but I can't see it now.
Maybe it only available if the photo is on the front page of the forum.
I'll check it out and let you know....

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so I asked the question in the "Behind the forum" section and got this reply from Jeff the administrator.
You need to use the file name in the search function.
The file name is located in the info section under the photo.

I'll post a jpeg of the location of the file name, if you need it....

Jim Rogers

PS. I tried it and it works great....

Jim_Rogers

I'm not sure how large this will be but here goes:

Below the top arrow it says to click this "info" icon to get the photo's info to display if it isn't already displaying.
Then the lower box says to use that file name in the search box to find the thread where the file has been used.....

Jim Rogers

PS. thanks Jeff.....

peter nap

Thank You Sponsors!