iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used WM Super

Started by steveST, May 01, 2003, 07:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

I just purchased a used Wood-Mizer super with about 800 hours on it. Would that be considered "low hours"? What maintenance should I perform on it right away?

DanG

Welcome, SteveST. I'm a circle saw man, so I can't help you with the bandmill. Is this your first saw? Stick around and learn with us. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

steveST

Yep, it's MY first saw, but I've sawed on an older LT-40 (no hydraulics). I can see already that there is MUCH to learn here. I need to spend about 100 hours reading all the knowledge posted here!
Thanks.

Tom

Yep, that's pretty low hours.

You need clean oil and filters on the engine. Make sure the hydraulic tank has the proper level of hydraulic oil.  You will need the book for that so as not to overfill.

Check the blade guides for stability and worn bearings.

Oil the chains  ATF is a good universal oil to use on the mill.

Check the blade for being level to the bunks.

Check the button that transfers power to the power strip on the front of the mill for wear.  There is also a grounding button on the bottom rail that should be checked for wear and cleanliness as well.

You should be familiar with most of the mill if you have run an LT40 before. Most is pretty straight forward but you're going to like the hydraulics.

Here's a good tip:  Don't "feather" the hydraulics.   They are electric over hydraulics and the switches will arc and burn. The same goes for the drum switches.  Don't tap the up/down to get on target.  Move the pulley by hand if you can.

------------------------------
order a few new Hydraulic handle centering springs for reserve.

A hydraulic pump solonoid is good to have too.

order some spare brushes for your up/down and forward/back motors

Order a blade guide rebuild kit.

Read the book :)

steveST

Awww...I was AFRAID someone whould suggest I read the book. [sigh] I want getting sawing! Just kidding...I will read that book ufor sure. My wife doesn't care much for the reading material I leave in our "public library!"  :D

Thanks for the tips and suggestions...appreciate it.

Next feat: I need to get a hook-up for buying nice logs in my area. Where should I be looking? Where should I start?

Thanks!

ohsoloco

Hey, another sawyer from PA  :)   What is your idea of nice logs?  I haven't really purchased any yet...I get mine from tree services either for nothing, or pitching in to help take the trees down.  I get a lot of "nice" trees as far as size goes (lots of 20+" dia oak) but some are just full of metal  :(

Thank You Sponsors!