Sponsors:

Who's still working ?

Started by slidecreekdan, December 27, 2007, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slidecreekdan

Any one still sawing in the snow & ice?
  Got me shut down.

Ed_K

Cut trees in rain,sleet and then big fluffy snow flakes  :( today in western Ma.
Ed K

Bibbyman

We sawed yesterday when it was just above freezing and then started raining.  Then today we sawed until mid-afternoon with a London Fog and 30 degrees.  Pretty miserable even under a roof.  It was so overcast we had to turn the lights on.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

I'm willing and able, but the Boss is sidetracked building the Derpartment for Reduncancy Department at the mill. I asked him if he would put a little roof extension over the blower tractor.

I wanted to put the tractor alongside the building, instead of the ditch it was in, and put a short roof over it to keep the water out of the blower. What I got instead was an addition almost the full length of the building with radiant heat in the floor, lights, a garage door, a door into the mill, and the vac has been piped under the slab. Too bad the tractor doesn't fit inside the building, the vac hasn't been hooked up for six weeks, I can't get any logs to mill, and all of the chainsaws have been stolen out of the mill. I have managed to work a whole 41 minutes so far this week. Anyone know if McDonalds is hiring? ;) :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slidecreekdan

Well I suppose the sun will shin again ,,,, someday.
  Work on the equip, and we all will be off and running again real soon.

Bro. Noble

I remember about 30 years ago when it stayed above 100 for several days during the summer.  I asked a friend who operated a sawmill if they were sawing during the heat.  He said when the loggers kept bringing in logs,  it would look bad if he couldn't run his mill.  I asked him how in the world those guys could stand to cut logs in this heat.  His answer was " they have bills to pay".

I understand now just what he was saying.  We saw or cut logs everyday summer or winter and milk the stoopid cows twice ::)  Still have a hard time keeping the bills paid. :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

jackpine

Still sawing on my " sawing small logs in half " job but quit early today due to heavy snow. Made it dangerous with the fresh snow on top of the ice, esp. for the offbearers who are carrying the logs and stacking. Will not be back at it until next year (Wed.). Have probably 6 more days unless the customer finds some more logs tucked away, which he has done once already.

Bill

slidecreekdan

Bro.Noble
    Yep, Know what you mean about feeding the cows twice a day.  We are doing the same.
   And yes , gotta work every day

Jeff

Hey!  I'd be looking the other way. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

With a view like that...........
Man oh, man! :o

Texas Ranger

Yeah, but looks like he has got most of the trees gone. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bull

Sawed 600 Bfd of hemlock today 2x10x10 for town recreation committee's ice skating rink !!!
Thought I would be sawing tommorrow morning (saturday) but now the weatherman is saying freezing ran until noon..... Hopefully I can finish in  the afternoon,I need 9 more to finish the job
And then they are predicting a possible Noreaster for sunday night into Monday 6+ inches.....  Well at least I will be making money plowing......... I may pull out the heavey tarp and cover the mill for the winter.... need to get at lest 1 more cord or wood into the house to make it thru winter.........

isawlogs

:o :o  First thing I thought when I saw that pic was that he was sawing inside and had a mural painted on da wall .... Some really have it , man what a view  smiley_paparazzi
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

logwalker

There aren't many spots as pretty as that N.E. corner of Oregon. You guys ever get the chance go check it out. The area is bordered the the east by the Snake River canyon. It is almost a thousand feet deeper than the Grand Canyon. :o
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Furby

Hells Canyon N.R.A.?
Been there! 8)
NICE country I really had fun out there.
The colors are amazing. :o
REAL nice country side as well. :)

slidecreekdan

Yes, I am south of Hells Canyon.
  Aint got all the trees cut yet. This is looking the other way.

Furby

I came in from Idaho and went up to the Dam and then back out and headed West.

Steve

Dan

Of all my favorite places in Oregon, and I'm finding more all the time, the Imnaha canyon is one of the top spots for me. I first went in there in the 80's. Went down there this spring and it wasn't much different.
There is a lot of Oregon out there.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

thecfarm

What view?I can't stop looking at that nice shiney WM.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_van

I'm working, next winters firewood - As long as I can pick up a saw, I'll continue to beat OPEC out of every $ I can - 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

slidecreekdan

Steve,  We live over here on the Middle Fork of the John Day River.  !00 miles south of Pendleton on highway 395.   Been in Dufur.   Nice place. I like that view of Hood.
  This picture is in my north pasture looking down on the Middle Fork.

deutz4

The good thing about mechanized logging is that we can work in just about any weather conditions. The bad thing is that we have to in order to make the payments!

Thank You Sponsors!