iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loooonnnnngg boards!

Started by scsmith42, December 25, 2007, 12:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

We've already proven that an ATS can saw a 6' diameter log......

10,00 bf  ??? ??? We could build the longest picnic table and a shelter over it too  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Yeah, probably 8,000 - 9,000 bf log volume. There would be 18-20 cord in one of those suckers. A typical Sitka Spruce stand established on a slide fan is around 550 cords/acre. The numbers that I remember were in metric ( clustered around 3000 m3/ha = 550 cords/acre), and we cruised for sawlog scale. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Quote from: Burlkraft on February 02, 2008, 08:10:36 AM
We've already proven that an ATS can saw a 6' diameter log......

10,00 bf  ??? ??? We could build the longest picnic table and a shelter over it too  ;D  ;D  ;D

or the worlds biggest outhouse....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

solodan

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on February 01, 2008, 12:42:01 PM

What species of trees get big enough to qualify and where do they grow?

Alot of west coast species could reach that height, but only four species in North America would commonly reach the height needed. 

Coast Redwood-- California
Doug Fir-- B.C. , Washington,Oregon,and California
Sitka--Alaska, B.C., Washington,Oregon, and California
Giant Seqouia-- California

I think the best species for this would be a Doug Fir. It is the smallest diameter of all of these. If we can keep the big end diameter under 60" things would be much more manageable. I would think Sitka would be possible as well, and though we may be able to obtain  a windthrown Redwood from a Federal or state Park, the large Redwoods are probably too massive at the base to deal with. :)

Tillaway

A long board, say 200'.  What you are asking for is a 200' log with a 30" scaling diameter. The biggest Doug fir I have cruised are up around 250' or so total height.  DBH around 60" or more.  Looks like you will be looking for an exotic or a Redwood, and a really big one at that.

Beating the 127' mark with a 140' is quite possible and can have a form that is mill-able for a portable mill.  You will need to find a tree of good form from a stand with a high density and a high site index.  Parts of Oregon and California will have some to choose from, and it will have to be sourced from private lands.  You will have to mill the log either where its felled or skid it just a short distance to a better place to work.  It will take big iron to move it like maybe a couple of D-7 or D-8 size cats.  One could do it if the skid is favorable and the soils just right.  Felling will be the tricky as well, trying to save one out that far is tough.  You might have to build a bed to fall it on so it will save out.

Helicopters and boats are not an option for moving it.

Doug fir or Redwood would be your choice, spruce grow short and fat even 8 or 9 foot diameter ones have a hard time reaching just over 200' in Oregon.  They have better form in the higher latitudes.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

SwampDonkey

We might have to go to the Charlottes or Porcher Canal. I can put my hands on few nice babies.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Wait a second ... had a thought. Might be way off base here but maybe not. There's an outfit that is harvesting sunken timber out west. I'm thinking they're in Vancouver. I can get the link. This timber is standing dead in the reservoirs. They have a submersible that limbs the tree and then cuts it from the stump. I can't speak to the height or the diameter of these trees without re-reading the article. If they were sufficient though the felling issue is gone. Transport is as easy as a couple of airbags up the length of the tree to help overcome the negative bouyncy (sp?) and then it's off to the beach. To set the record all you have to do is cut it. It doesn't have to stay that long and I think you'll need to maybe give that up to have the other. It's still bragging rights either way. I'll find the link. Otherwise check out the thread here on the Forum "What would you do with 400Million Bd Ft of wood" - something like that. Can't remember verbatum.  :)

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

Here's the link to that operation: http://www.petersonsawmills.com/press_articles_general27.pdf

If we could get something going with them i'd be all over it.

LOGDOG

scsmith42

Landon, that's an interesting concept.

Personally, I'd really like to see the record-setting product be used in some fashion - that way there would be a long term tangible result from our efforts (in addition to the carmaraderie associated with an FF event!).

Depending upon the lake, there may be an opportunity to ship the completed beam via barge - that would potentially open up some financial partners that could arrange transport and help finance the costs of the operation.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LOGDOG

Notice the barge in the pics? If it were long enough you could send up right on the barge and mill it. Those deck barges have good steel decks on them. That would help keep the tracks level. This outfit may be looking for some "publicity". Maybe they'd chip in or use the final products for bragging right at their offices? One can only ask.

LOGDOG

Jeff

STILL a Family site. Innuendos can and will create question from the youngsters that frequent the forum. I'd appreciate some thought about that before you post. Posts deleted.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!