iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loooonnnnngg boards!

Started by scsmith42, December 25, 2007, 12:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I've been remodeling an old farmhouse on one corner of my property, and am recovering the outside with board and batten siding combined with live-edge siding under the eaves. All of the siding has been kiln dried.

As per Arky's recommendations in an earlier post, I am planing all of my siding.  This past weekend we planed over 5000 square feet of 4/4 SYP, and in the process filled up two 5 yard dump truck loads with shavings from the planer.

Just for grins, I decided to make the porch trim boards from a single board. The porch is 40' long, and so I milled some 1 x 12 x 40's on my Peterson sawmill.

Here are some photos of the 40' boards during the planing process:

(modified to include revised photo with higher resolution).

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

DanG!

How many people could do that?  It is great when you can do something really unique like that to give a place a special character.  That is not something that a person can go out and buy.  Really special, Scott.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

That's something you can do, WDH.   I wish I could sometimes. I always get requests for stuff longer than I can cut.   If I could cut that 43', they'd ask for 50'. :D

Don K

That reminds me of Tim Garrison, owner of the Perkinston MS WM facility. He has a LT 15 set up to cut long timbers ( pics in Stew's gallery). He said cutting long stuff is not hard, the hard part is finding a tree big enough that is straight enough to cut what you want. ;)

Good going Scott.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DanG

Yep, thats some long boards right there.  Really cool, Scott!  But the really, really cool thing is that someday after you're dead and gone and nobody knows who did that, somebody's gonna say, "Hey, look at that!  That's one long board all the way across this whole house!  I wonder who did that?!?"
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

Yea Scott, you oughta sign and date it on the back side with a permanent marker because one day it will come off and maybe someone will see it. When I start building furniture I am going to sign in inconspicious places.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

barbender

Nice boards!! I was looking at a logosol newspaper, they had the guinness book of records 2x4 in there. I can't remember, I think it was 80-90' long. Some guy sawed it out of a spruce in sweden if I remember right.
Too many irons in the fire

Norm

Cool stuff Scott!

I'm with the other guys, sign and date the back of that board.

thecfarm

That second picture looks almost fake,but I know it's not.Just don't see board like that.Thanks for the pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

LOGDOG

Great looking stuff Scott. I agree with the other guys - a signature would be cool. But I think you should get a personalized branding iron and put your brand on the outside. Can't wait to see the finished project.

LOGDOG

woodhick

I need to cut some 24' 2"x8"'s for a friend and I though that would be long :-[  Great pics and most certanly sign that board.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Hi-Country Orange

go to any box store lumber desk & try ordering that, great job 8) 8) 8) :D

LOGDOG

Scott,

Did you have any trouble with snipe when you planed those long boards? I just wondered with all the weight way out on the one end how they did.

LOGDOG

Captain

I knew he got all of that track for somethin'  ;)

scsmith42

Guys, thanks for the comments and advice re signing the board!  I'll do that (and one of the reasons that I made it that long - other than "because I can" is to see folk's reaction as they study the board and try to find a splice!

Landon, I have a problem with snipe on the last few inches of my planed boards with my planer.  I have the bed rollers set up a bit in order to help feed the boards, and at each end sometimes I'll get some snipe.  If you feed one board right behind another it helps to limit it.  I did not have a problem with the planer feeding the board though (20" spiral insert cutterhead 7.5HP 3phase Grizzly Z series).  I used some roller tables on the infeed and outfeed and also helped to push/pull the board through.

I like your "branding iron" idea too!

Thecfarm - re the photo quality - yeah, it's a bit blurry.  I reduced the quality quite a bit in order to upload it, and it was starting to get dark when I took the photo.  I had to back up so far to get the entire board into the picture that the flash was ineffective.

Here's another shot of the board going through the planer:

Scott

Jeff

Scott, that one photo is only 4k  not 40 and the last one is only 13. You gotta lotta room for more quality if ya wanna try again. ;) 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Robert Long

Nice board! :
:D
I have a roller system I made from a roller deck out of the local beer store, it's 12 ft. long with staggered rollers the entire length of it
It's great for those long boards but never have I tried anything close to that board length.

Hope you don't have to cross a busy road with it! ;D ;D
Robert

thecfarm

I did not mean the picture was blurry or anything else that may be wrong with the picture.I'm the last one to say anything bad.I don't do much better at times either.Sorry you took it the wrong way.I did not notice that.The picture just seems so unreal.Look how wide the board is for staters.And than the lenght.That's something you don't see every day.I don't want you to think that I'm picking this great feat apart. A good job by you and your helpers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Haytrader

::)

I have an idea of what could be done with those boards.

You could make 1"x12"x12" cutting boards out of em.

:D :D :D

(Nice job and you have the FF record for length as I see it)  ;)
Haytrader

scsmith42

Thecfarm - no offense taken on my part, but thanks anyway for your follow up comments! 

I probably ought to remeasure it - I know the 40' part is correct but it may actually be a bit wider than 12".  Since it's a wane edge board, the 12" was at the minimum point - parts of the rest of the board are probably in the 14" - 15" range.

hansbaba

Scott,
I was just wondering, when milling those long boards, did you stake down any of your tracks or just let them sit on the ground?
hans.

gizmodust

Way to go Scott.  I have to agree with the suggestions on the stamp.  Just looking at the board will leave people of later generations scratchin' their heads.  Would also like to see the finished results.  Once again, WAY TO GO ;) ;) ;)
Always liked wood with alot of character

scsmith42

Hans, I have 66' of track, and it is set up "quasi-permanently" beside my kiln.  They are "low - low" tracks, and are not staked.  However, for water runoff perposes I have about 1' of slope from end to end, and the tracks are installed level. Therefore, the support tubing for about 1/2 of the track length is set in gravel, which probably serves the same purpose as staking them.  The other end of the track is slightly elevated above grade.

I finally measured the boards - the bigest one averaged 14" wide (one wane edge) and is 44' long.  I'll end up triming it down slightly for the final installation.

I'll start updating this thread with progress reports on the farmhouse.  The past few days we treated all of the board and battens with a Timbor treatment, and cut them to length.  Tomorrow I hope to get the rest of the vertical boards installed.  The wood preservative (TWP) should arrive - hopefully on Monday, and we'll be staining the installed boards, and battens later this week.  We'll also treat the wane-edge siding and 44' trim boards with Timbor, and plan on staining them and installing later this week - weather permitting.

Jeff Mills (Dad2nine on the FF) sawed some nice 4/4 x 7" sycamore for me to use in the upstairs cathedral ceiling, and it's presently drying in the kiln.  Processing it into v-groove T&G ceiling boards will be one of the first jobs for my new Baker M412.

Scott

WDH

Scott,

I can't wait to see that sycamore installed.  Hopefully, some of it will be q-sawed.  It will be striking.  That is a fine use for sycamore since each board can move on its own, so it will likely behave itself ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!