iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Larger Easily Identifed Gift

Started by nsmike, December 24, 2007, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsmike

My daughter asked for a Genesis bow for Christmas because the large flat box is easily identified I decided not to put it under the tree. Instead I hid it in the basement got a money card and stuck the following note in.
One of the gifts for which you seek
We didn't won't for you to peek
So as to not raise your ire
Use these directions to what you desire
The basement is your gifts lair
So start at the bottom stair
Look to the right so say the least
Your gift is to the east
At forty five degree agaist the wall
You'll find a box thin and tall.
I just thought I would share the idea with you
Merry Christmas
Mike :)

DanG

Merry Christmas Mike! That's a good'un.

I did exactly the opposite one Christmas.  My son always liked to guess what was in his packages, and was quite good at it.  He had usually figured out what each one was well before the big day.  One time, I set out to fool him good.  I had bought him a really nice NFL quality football.  I brought home a large box from work and put the football in it, after wrapping the bottom half of the box.  I went out by the road with a big stack of paper grocery bags and a shovel, and spent the next half-hour or so ferrying in bags of sand, which I placed in the box, then I closed it up and wrapped the top half.  That pore little guy tugged and pulled at that box for most of a week, wondering all the while what he was getting that could be that heavy.  On Christmas morning, we could tell that he was a little disappointed to find that it was only a football, but he couldn't gripe 'cause that was what he had asked for in the first place.  ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ed_K

That was great Dan, better than the big box little box. I finally gave up wrapping presents. I just got what they wanted an put a sticker on it saying Merry Chrismas  8).
Ed K

nsmike

It went over real well. She said afterword that she really liked the note. I had noticed that she carefully kept it.
Mike

Jeff

When the kids were younger we did things like scavenger hunts for them to find presents. One year that was memorable they got bicycles. They would follow the clues around, including some outside. While they were looking in one place, we would spirit the bikes to somewhere they already had looked. They ended up in their bedrooms. They were young enough them to not catch on how the bikes got in there.  I can remember having as much fun setting it up as they did finding the presents.   I guess the first time I saw something like that was when I was younger, about 12,  and we had Christmas at one of my older sisters homes.  My sisters all went together and got my younger sister and I one of those small air hockey tables.  Our gift at the tree was a card with a string attached. The string ran all over in and out of the house. We had to follow it and there were little notes attached to it on the way. It eventually led back to a room we had already been in attached to the air hockey game that wasnt there to begin with.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

I remember once, when I was about 9yo, we had Christmas at our house. I grew up with a HUGE extended 'family'. None of which were "blood relations" but all of which were, in the European Style,  "Aunties and Uncles", Close friends of my parents, who we considered "family". Anyway, Every Christmas we rotated to a different household, so in my youth, I remember the BIG Christmas Party at home only two or three times.

Anyway, this year the party was at home. There were about 20 kids in the immediate group, but I think there were about 30 there this particular year. Anyway, Santa visited. Not the real Santa, I know that, but someone deputised as Santa. It was the usual "thing" to guess which Uncle was that year's deputy Santa.

Now, TO THIS DAY I have NO IDEA who it was. We did an "Uncle Head Count" and ALL were accounted for. He turned up in one of the uncles' Panel Vans, which was overloaded with presents, you can imagine, roughly 30 kids, from approximately 15 families, each family buying a present for each kid and several for their own kids, so you'd end up with about 20 presents each... 30 x 20 = a DanG HUGE carload of pressies... It took literally a couple of HOURS to give them out. (that's not including the adult presents, of which there a few).

I have a theory, I think we had a few Deputy Santas, who tag-teamed the duties through the couple of hours, I seem to recall he took a couple of bathroom breaks through the time. But, I asked mum only a couple of years ago who was the D-Santa, and she laughed at me and said "What do you mean? That was the REAL SANTA! It took us AGES to organise it, what with the having to leave to deliver the pressies over in the USA as it was still night time there..."

So, just in case, if, in fact, back in about 1978, your pressies were late, I'm sorry...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!