iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biscuit Jointer

Started by submarinesailor, December 24, 2007, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

I need (want) a "better than average" biscuit jointer.  Do any of you world class wood workers have a suggestion as to a brand.

Bruce

Don K

Lamello is supposed to be high end. I just want a Porter Cable model 557.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

isawlogs

Well now I aint no world class wood worker , but , I do own a Makita that I really like .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

I am not qualified to answer your question, but I have used a Poter Cable 557 for several years with some success.  :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Kevin

I have the Dewalt and it does a good job.

scsmith42

Bruce, if you want "top of the line", you want a Domino from Festool.  It's world class and you can do things with it that none of the others would even think of.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

The biscuit joiner is probably the least used machine in my shop and I suspect the same in a lot of other shops.  It's pretty simple machine also.  I would get whatever is on sale or used.

Full disclosure...I've had a Dewalt for a long time and it has worked perfect after a little alignment when new.

Couple other thoughts...I would want a Krieg pocket hole jig way before the biscuit joiner.  I would also investigate the Festool Domino as it makes a joint better suited for a lot of applications...sticker shock is keeping me away from that one at present.

Sitting hear in the semi dark typing this and smelling the turkey roasting in the oven...life is good.  Merry Christmas to all. :) :) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

Merry Christmas to you too Larry. :)

Bruce I've owned the Porter Cable for years and have nothing but good things to say about it. If you could find a used one all the better, I don't think you can wear them out.

Now I've been drooling over the Festool also but would like to hear from someone that owns one to hear if it's all that it appears to be.

woodhick

I have a Freud and have had good luck with it.  I agree with others that a pocket hole jig (Kreg) will be more usefull.  I use it more than the biscuits.  I agree also with the sticker shock of the Domino! :o.  Probably will never own one of them.  I will opt to cut mortises on my mortiser and use a slip tenon.  Just my opinion.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

metalspinner

I'm with Larry on the usefulness of it.  My PC joiner has been collecting dust for a couple of years.  I'm not even sure which model it is. ::)

submarinesailor, 
What do you foresee yourself doing with the joiner?  Making joints or for alignment on panels?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

submarinesailor

Alignment of panels.  For some reason, I keep having problems getting the top surface to align.  Less sanding - I hope??????

Bruce

metalspinner

Have you tryed these clamps?...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=321

They compress from all four sides of your panel so they hold all edges flat top one another.  The are fairly inexpensive considering how handy they are and their unlimited length.

submarinesailor

MS,

I like them.  Do you have any of them?  If so, do they work real good?

Bruce

metalspinner

Bruce,
I have several and they work as advertised.  I used some 8/4 ash for my bars.  A slight (1/32") crown in then really pulls things flat.  If the wood beams crown too much or twist a bit over time, a quick run across the jointer true's them up just fine.  My favorate featrue is that you can make the clamp as long as you need without running out to buy others.  A dry run to make sure the clamp is adjusted in the correct holes should be done to decrease glue up hassles. :D

ely

i use a porter cable but i also have a dewalt bisquit machine also. as for glueing up solid panels it seems i had less trouble when i used the doweling jig. i mean the panels lined up with less trouble with the dowels.

logwalker

I have the porter-cable and have used it for several years. I don't think you can find a better one. As for the Festool, it is a nice piece but it should be for almost $800. Have always gotten by without one. If you were doing high-end furniture it might pay but not otherwise. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

I use a Craftsman Professional that I bought back in 2001 and finally used it last winter and am using it this winter also. The biggest hassle is getting the biscuits. The local hardware stores don't like keeping the shelves stocked. If I buy the last bag today, go back in 4 weeks and there still are none on the shelf. I cleaned out all the bagged biscuits a local store had last winter and there were a few loose ones left. I went back a couple weeks ago for biscuits and those loose ones were all they had in all that time.  Went to Lowe's in Maine yesterday and got a bottle of 100 #20's.  In a huge store like that, they didn't even have all that many on the shelf either and they were practically hidden. You can use a splined edge to edge joint, which can be made with the table saw (router might be better) and probably a stronger joint anyway.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I just ordered 4 of metalspinner's clamps.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

Swamper,

You beat me to it.  I had to wait for the eagle (US Government) to s$%t my pay check before I could order mine. I'm thinking about getting 4 of them.  How many did you order?

Bruce

ely

show me what clamps you guys are speaking of please. i sort of feel left out. ;)

Kevin

Ely, follow this link...
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=321

There might be a problem with the boards sticking to the glue from the project if it wasn't properly cleaned.

ely

thanks i was just looking at sme similar in the lee vally catalog last nite.

metalspinner

SD,
I wish I held the patent on those! ;D

Kevin,
A quick polyurathane finish on them will solve the glue sticking issue.  Believe me you only make the mistake of not finishing them once. :-[

SwampDonkey

Well from now on they are known as metalspinner's clamps.  ;)

They'll come in handy for my yellow birch table.  :)

logwalker

You can't clean it well enough to eliminate sticking. Just lay a narrow strip of wax paper across the glue and it will release.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!