iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 51 ?

Started by logmason, December 24, 2007, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logmason

Hi gang long time no post, do read though some.

I think my 51 might be in trouble. Starts fine but no hgh end power. Tore it down for clean out. Cleaned plug, air filter, and under cases, exhaust screen. Noticed the top case shows heat mark on plastic above muffler. Dumped fuel, added fresh, same thing. Tried carb adjustments to 1 1/2 turns (They seem to have vibrated in some, leaner), same.

Going to go now to tear off muffler to inspect combustion chamber. If you guys can offer coments I'm all ears.

I looked online for piston and cylinder price and about fell on the floor.
QUestion is, is the 51 and 55 the same cylinder with the 55 being over bored?
Another way to ask, Is the 51 able to be bored to 55 bore diameter?

The next time someone tells me don't fool with those carb adjustments, I may throw this saw at them. By not checking, I may have lost this saw.

Oh and I can have a compression check done after holidays. My stuff always breaks on holidays or Sundays.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Kevin

That could be anything from carb problems to an air leak or air restriction.
A pressure test will tell if it's an air leak.
Make sure the muffler screen is clean.
Could be piston rings as well.
Initial carb adjustment is 1 1/4 turns from lighty seated.
I would guess that the 50,51 and 55 have the same head with different bores but I don't know for certain.

logmason

Looks ok through the ex port. I think the heat marks are from the "ex manifold?" where the screen is located, not seating properly to the muffler.

Will fool around more, if no go will have comp. check and pressure check (thanks).
If that's ok, will buy new plug and then carb kit. It appears to have diaphram in carb, I've seen those go bad in the past.

First time this saw has been down since it's first gallon of fuel. It fouled a plug. After checking it out the carb screws were 1/4 turn, the dealer set that, I unset that.

I'm real suspect of the fuel sold these days. I will search the forun for that topic.

Thanks

Kevin

It wouldn't hurt to install the carb kit that's for sure.
Good luck and let us know of your progress.

Left Coast Chris

My Husky 51 had poor power at high RPM and it turned to have a worn rod bearing at the crank.  Crank seals were gone also.   Was not worth fixing according to the local saw shop.   It was like loosing an old friend.  We made it through thick and thin for 10 years.  Hope yours turns out better. :) 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

logmason

"My stuff always breaks on holidays or Sundays."

I just had to say that. Fooled around last night, back together after dark, went to start it today and creamed the starter rope side case. It had a minor crack before, now has a major crack and the rope spool is broken.

My next move is to break out my older saw and see what I have to do to get it in service.
The 51 is now on back burner until I find a part. At least it's clean  :D

Thanks guys.

SawTroll

I'd just put a new 55 (53.2cc) top end on it..... ;)
Information collector.

logmason

I now see that husky had a recall about the problem I mentioned about the exhaust leak melting the plastic. I read there was at least one related fatality. This heat leak could very well have caused the plastic case falure.

I'd like to talk to Husqvarna about this.
I was never notified of this recall.

Dale Hatfield

Well if ya find out about the heat melting the plastic i still have 2 that i use coulpe times a week. That have been melted for long time.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

logmason

Hello folks. I don't type much but sure do read here. This is an old topic and thought I'd say hello and update.

That 51 has been in a basket. I did locate and install a starter case assembly. Changed it out and, no spark. Determined the coil or switch to be bad. Back in the basket.

My old beat Stihl has been doing the work since, It has been getting a little cranky so have been working on saws lately.

While searching I found a 55 that was "locked up". Thinking parts saw,  ignition etc.Went to look at it last night, looked like a LOT less hours on it than any of mine. I bought it and some other trinkets with it for 50 bucks.

When I got home I removed the starter cover and the rope was doubled over itself. Back together and turning over within ten minutes. Didn't try starting it, I will inspect it first.

Could be the beginning of a 51/55 Frankenstein. Why do we do these things? Cause some of us just gotta.

Just wanted to say hello and thanks everyone for the great reading.

sawguy21

:D I have seen cases like that 55. Might be a perfectly good saw for your needs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!