iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vanity License Plates

Started by DR_Buck, December 23, 2007, 09:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

How many of you have vanity license plates?   What vehicles do you have them on?     Since we are all ham radio operators in our house, we each have our ham callsign on plates.  The wife and son, on their cars, mine on my F-350.  The plates in the photo started out on my Wood-Mizer until I found out they weren't required since it's special equipment.  This exempts it from DOT state inspection and other bothersome things.   These plates now reside on my log trailer with the knuckle boom loader.  I also have "SAWLOGS" on my flatbed 10k trailer.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

woodmills1

I have 3 vanity plates............went to get picture and batteries low......charging them now.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

asy

I wanted to get one for my new (to-me) car...  :D

But the one I wanted was gonna cost me $2,000 !!!   :o :o :o

So, needless to say, no plate for me. I'll keep the generic one I have.

The one I wanted was: AUROR  in Pink, it would have been cool...

The one I have has the letters HRE, so the car's name is Harry

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Furby

Why would I want to give the state extra $ for the "privilege" ???

jackpine

Furby
I'm with you on this one. I thought I was the only one too cheap to buy vanity plates so I wasn't going to say anything ;D

Bill

Furby

They are called "vanity plates" for a reason, some folks simply don't know what the word means. ;)

Dave Shepard

In MA, you can choose to support different causes with you plates. Maybe not true vanity plates though. We are waiting for the cow ones, they have a Holstein on them. My father is going to put them on the Buick he got from my grandparents. He always swore he never own a car in his life. I guess it's a different story when it's given to you.  ;) :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

We have that here too, and only a portion of the fee goes for support.
They still take their cut.
They now have so many different ones it's kinda pathetic in my opinion.

Sunfield Hardwood

I don't have any vanity plates mostly because I'm too cheap. To me it's no different than wearing a woodmizer or peterson hat or shirt or bumper sticker, it's meant to let people know what interests you or your hobbies or what business your in, don't know why they call them vanity plates, maybe if it said you were a doctor or rich or something like that it would be vain. But I like looking for them to see what people do or like to do, they seem fun to me not boisterous. some are kind of like a puzzle to figure out what their meaning is ,Bill :)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

beenthere

In WI we have a plate that supports an 'Endangered Resource' fund...has a picture of a wolf head on it.. I always thought about getting those plates (but too cheap) that either had the words SHOOTEM  or SEASON on them.  Wife said I was asking for trouble...like that was something new... :) :) :) :P :P

More support now that the introduced wolves are becoming a menace.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

We have one. Its the second one, they still make you buy a new one when they change plates. Tammy and the truck are gone so no pic right now.

Our plate says.   4STRY4M
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

here goes ...... they are $25 extra here

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fraxinus

Back when you could only have 6 places, I had SAWMIL for many years.  Gave it up after I quit working in a sawmill in '83.  Now I have a Veteran's plate and a vanity plate that says DOSIDO.  Used to have one that said SQRDNC.  Amazed I was at how many people couldn't figure that one out.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

jackpine

Sunfield Hardwood
I agree with your analogy, it is no different than wearing a hat or shirt, etc., with a company or team logo on them. However, I will not pay to advertise someones company or any sports team. If they want free advertising with me as a walking billboard then they should furnish the advertising material. I wear my WM hat and any others with a logo that have been GIVEN to me. :)

The only exception to this rule are my FF hats and shirts. :D

Bill

isawlogs

Fraxinus ;  Ya can add another to the amazing amount  :-[ :-\ 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I figured out square dance, but I probably wouldn't have gotten do si do, if I hadn't already figured out SQRDNC. :D I don't think the sawmill or the lumber forestry forum types are really all that vain. Not much different than lettering the truck. I have seen some that are defineately vain, like the ones were someone is trying to show off. Like "MYVETTE" or "MRBIG", that sort of thing.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

I'm in the state gets enough of my money already category...

now one I would pay for is one with all "1", "I" and "L" in it.  but in reality, i'm too cheap for that one too.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

asy

They aren't called "Vanity plates" here, they're called "personalised plates" and they're UBER expensive.

The cheapest ones start at $400 odd dollars...  Astonishing...

Anyway, I don't think they're worth it, and I don't think I'd bother. Yeah, I'd really like the AUROR plates, but only if they gave them to me ;)

Oh, and, here's a warning for anyone thinking of giving them to their kids...

My cousin had her own plate that read "KATYA" (her name). She was out in the city, going out to dinner with friends one night, and a man came up to her and said "Hi Katya, How are you?", she didn't think he knew her, but he called her by name so she stopped and talked to him, asking him how he knew her. He told her they 'went to school together', but she went to an all-girls school, so he'd lucked out on that one. She knew then it was a scam, and luckily for her a friend of hers was coming to meet her and arrived at that minute. The friend bailed the guy up and asked him how he knew her name. He admitted it was off the number plate.

She got rid of the plate the next week. She felt it was a serious security risk.

Yeah, I know, it's a rare and totally unusual occurrence, but it seriously freaked her out. So, I'd recommend not getting a plate with a first name on it for a youngster, especially not a girl.

Jeff

Tammy says the additional cost for our personalized plate is $10 a year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Ed_K

When I called to change the business name on my farm plates they were very rude, its a pain to change. When I asked about the name on the plate it was NO. Don't think I can get the holstein cow on a F P either.
Ed K

DR_Buck

The extra cost in VA is dependent on the type of vanity plates.   Ham radio call sign plates are $1 extra per year.  You can get permanent plates for most trailers at around $55.   The cost to personalize them is $10 extra.   I'm not sure what the other types cost.

Dave Shepard

Ed_K, the cow plates are for regular registration, and won't be available until something like 1,000 people buy them. I guess they like to run things through the prison plate shop in large batches. :D

Dave

Fraxinus

Quote from: isawlogs on December 24, 2007, 04:09:36 PM

Fraxinus ;  Ya can add another to the amazing amount  :-[ :-\ 
In case you didn't see it, that is "Square Dance" with no vowels.  My SiL used to call it "skwirdnik" and somebody else thought it meant "squire dunce".
I had one person look at DOSIDO and thought is meant "Do as I Do". ROFL ;D
Vanity plates here in NH cost an extra $25/year.  There are also the so-called "Moose" plates.  I think those are $25/year as well.  Veterans plates cost $25 extra when you first get them and then they are no extra charge from then on, unless you vanitize them and I suppose that would be the $25 charge.  Some people also vanitize their Moose plates so that probably costs a total of $50 extra per year.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

SPIKER

I just checked it here and they are 35 extra on Ohio on top of the normal state, county, local, township, and city taxs  :P ::)  I wanted to find out if they had any of the following
OU812   :-\
WOOPS
BACKNUP

:D

Actually this year, I'm going to get me some veteran plates I think for my 2 primary cars.  I think they are 3 or 5 bucks extra each, but you have to take a DD214 in to PROVE you are aloud to have them even a MILITARY ID won't work??? Go figure that one out lol...   

I just checked the state on-line plates the military/combat plates are no extra cost!  imagine that!?!?  :D :o

https://www.oplates.com/

Oh there is one to try out, click the link, pick the "Special Plates" & pick custom plate and type in "OU8IT2" then click VIEW PLATE,  THEN click button custom plate at the bottom and Pick the "Ohio Zoo" Plate, then VIEW PLATE to the right.   Then see what the plate looks like  ::) :P 8)  PS follow directions or it will give you an error that it was found to be offensive ;)  lol

not sure if this like will work but it MAY
https://www.oplates.com/NameLookup/PlateLookupWizard1.asp?ID=CEJLDYHMREXVEPRFWAJMJEGDFFMXANZSHAROIDKWYYGPAIGDSN

Mark

P.S. looks like the long link worked ;)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Don_Papenburg

I think that the last time I got a renewal on my regular plate the vanity plate rate was $75 extra in cash straped Illinois .  The gov needed more money to fly from Chi town to the capital at $5900.00 a round trip per day .
I figured that the money could be spent in a more productive manner I I spent it myself.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

fat olde elf

The coolest vanity plate deal I've ever heard of was when I worked(for 10 years) on the executive staff of Florist's Transworld Delivery Association in the 70's.  We had over 200 people on staff and we had the first 200 + plates that had the first three letters FTD.  For many years our cars carried FTD 069 and FTD 076.  The FTD 076 was especially good in 1976 and needless to say it was on my wife's car.  One time I lost my plate and asked the Secretary of State for a replacement.... They told me I could not get the same plate again, ever......I wrote a letter an impassioned letter about how loyal we all were to our employer and the Secretary responded with a no charge exact duplicate of my original plate and a letter to our CEO about how wonderful and  loyal his employees were to provide all that free advertising on our vehicles. I loved it.   We paid no extra fees (Michigan) and I kept my FTD plates when I moved to NC 25 years. They are now hanging in my shop with other items of historical interest........Those were my first and last vanity plates.......I do run a MSU plate bracket and rear window decal......Go Spartans !!!!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Tam-i-am

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

asy

Hey Tamiam!

Cool plate!

Didn't they make it in PINK???  ::)

neslrite

Nope!  I think I would have to move - are any of the states' plates pink?

Got them from Kevin for Christmas one year.

Tammy

Since Kevin posts under my name, I feel it is okay to post on his. ;D
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Raider Bill

I had a Purple Heart plate for about 7 months then it was stolen. Of course I didn't know until I was out of state traveling and a Georgia Trooper brought it, a tow truck  and a ticket to my attention.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

blueox

Well in our family we have 4 vanity plates.

My husbands F350 has BLUEOX (I wonder why?)
My F150 has PRESHUS (cuz I am...)
Our 1994 Jeep has SOULM8S
Our 5th wheel camper has SUMRFUN

Funny story...One beautiful, hot summer day, Pierre and a buddy decided to go toolin' around in the jeep. They ended up at our friends gargage and did he ever laugh at the guys. Here these two "macho"men were cruisin' in a jeep with a vanity plate that said SOULM8S !! Well, Pierre's friend didn't even want to go back thru town. He made him take all the back roads to get back to camp.

Another funny story. I knew a lady in town who's plate was:  10SLUVR  for the life of me I couldn't understand why she would ever want to advertise "tense lover"....so after some time went by I finally grew the nerve to ask her why she would put this on her plate? She was so embarrassed and so was I when she told me it stood for "tennis lover"!!tee hee!!! 8)

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Danny_S

We've been here before a while ago..   :D

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

Have fun!
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

DR_Buck

Found this one one the FF home page random photos today.   ;D

woody1

If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

isawlogs

I dont have or want any vanity plate , I aint ready to pay any more to licence my car then I already am ... Now the cuttess one I ever seen was on a pic a friend sent me. The plate was on the back of a BMW. If my memory serves me right ... there was a blonde at the wheel . On the plate was writen     * WAS-HIS *   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!