iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone ID Power woodworking machines?

Started by mike_van, December 23, 2007, 04:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

I went to look at a planer today, the name "Power" is cast into the base. 24 incher, 4 knife round head. Looks to be about 2000 lb. I couldn't find anything searching google, maybe someone here has some info on the company or planer?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

isawlogs

Ya almost need a pic for id  ;)  well makes it a lot easier .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

gharlan

mike_van

No, not Porter, but that word was the trick! I searched Porter, came up with this site  http://www.owwm.com/   And I found one listed, even with pics!   Looks just like this one, nice shape too -        Anyone have a guess what it weighs?   

Kcwoodbutcher

I'd say you're a little light at 2000 lbs, more like 4000 to 5000.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

mike_van

The base on it isn't solid, it's cast  about 1/2" thick, the 2 pieces covering the center of the base are just sheetmetal to keep dust out.  The 7 1/2 hp 3 phase is the only motor on it, runs the head direct drive, the other end has rollerchain & some gears, pulleys for the feed rollers.   I found [on the link above] an 18" Oliver weighs 1200 lbs.  It looks a lot like this one, just smaller. There was a 36" Oliver too, at 6000 lbs.  My 20" SCMI  weighs 1300.   

mike_van

Got the planer home today, it took two trips though.  Got it outside the bldg. yesterday, took as much easy weight off as I could. Knowing it was heavy, I used a snatch block in the fall line from my crane boom. It wasn't quite enough. About 5" off the ground, the drum switch started smoking, so I set it back down. Plan B, went back today with my cousin & his Bobcat 311 excavator. No way - wouldn't even pick it as high as my crane! We backed the excavator back on the trailer, backed the trailer up to the planer, found some planks, and dragged it up the ramps using the boom on the Bobcat. Wouldn't lift it, but slid it just fine.  Got it home, using 2 chain hoists, jacked it up a few inches, pulled the trailer out from under it, then lowered it. They made good iron in the old days, and used plenty of it! 

Left Coast Chris

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

logwalker

Mike, Were you using a snatch block on the first lift attempt? It seems that the motor should have quit pulling before the switch smoked. I guess next it would bend the boom. Good find. Is it going to work soon?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

mike_van

Dust hood, extra knives, everything's there. When I went to look at it, the guy pushed the start button, it fired right up & hummed like it was a week old instead of 50+ years.  I'm not sure yet where I'm going to put it, which barn I mean. My 20" SCMI is on a dolly, and I can shove it's 1300 lbs. around the shop. No dolly for this one though, no shoving it around either.  I had a snatch block in the line, I really thought it was a "go" - The drum switch I used on the winch is a standard Dayton one, it's always worked fine, but never been loaded like it was then. Awhile ago I made up a box with 4 solenoids and a 6' remote cord but never installed it, I guess thats a "must do" now.  This planer seems really well made, segmented infeed on top, smooth outfeed on the other end. Two powered bed rollers too.  4 speed feed, grease fittings on the bearings. Looking it over, I can't see anyplace it's been broken, cracked, welded, etc. 

Sawmill_Bill

Could you please tell me the speed of the 7 1/2 hp motor?  I am looking to put an electric motor on my 4"x 24" belt driven (antique) planer and I am just trying to get some information.

Thanks.

Bill

mike_van

Bill, I think it was 3400 rpm, I'll look again tomorrow to make sure.      This picture shows the gear side, it all runs off the headshaft. There's a flatbelt missing, it's in the barn. Underneath is a cone type pulley that controls the feed speed. 

low_48

I have a Yates-American that's almost the same as yours. It's never been off the oak 4x6's that the lumber yard brought on the flat bed when they delivered it. I've never had the equipment that could lift it off the wood and lower it to the floor. Something you might consider. I've moved it once and it was as simple as getting a pallet jack under it, nothing special to get between the floor and the 2 tons of cast iron. I can stand back and basically throw the stock through it, taking a 1/4" of material off at a single past. I just love that old cast iron. Great find for you, good luck.

mike_van

Bill, it's 3600 rpm, direct drive to the head.

Hi-Country Orange

Mike  make sure you get that anchored well you wouldn't want to be sliding around on you   :D  :D  :D nice find

mike_van

I owned this planer for just about 2 months, if I didn't already have a nice SCMI, I would of found a place for it - But, it left today, a whole lot easier than it came in.         Chips truck picked it up like it was a Dewalt tabletop model  :D  A guy with a sawmill 10 miles down the road from me needed a good heavy planer, so we traded - He got the planer - I got this -         No, not the truck, but the load of logs on it - About 3/4 firewood, the rest some oak logs good for my mill. 

Thank You Sponsors!