iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Old Truck

Started by Corley5, December 23, 2007, 02:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I mentioned I was looking for a 1 ton truck here a while ago well I found one  8)  It's a 1984 Chevy 1 ton 4X4, 350 4bbl, 4 speed, gear drive transfer case, Dana 60 front end, Hyrdo Boost Brakes, an Omaha dump bed and 50,000 orginal miles  8) ;D ;D I changed a headlight in it that I believe was an orginal to the truck Guide lamp.  The other light is also a Guide and matches the one I replaced.  It spent most of its life at Mount Elliot Cemetery in Detroit.  I'm the 3rd owner since the cemetery had it.  The last two used it in small landscaping ventures.
  It runs great.  I drove it home from Dearborn Heights at 70-80mph.  The QuadraJunk four barrel even works right  8)  It's pretty  8) driving a four barrel again of course the gas mileage suffers when playing  ;)  I changed the oil in it and discovered it's got a 7 qt pan on it too  8)  We had to change the PTO cable and adjust the one for the dump valve.  The PO had put a new dump cable on it but never got it adjusted right.  To make it dump he'd crawl under it, kick in the PTO, then crawl under the other side to work the dump valve  ::)  He wasn't much of mechanic  ;)  I also put a set of Warn Lock Outs on it.  All four wheels spun when I test drove it but the four wheel drive didn't work when I got it home.  One of the original automatic hubs was shot.  They never amounted to much anyway ;)   Otherwise every thing else works including all the guages etc.  The truck was delivered as a chassis cab and had the bed intalled at a truck place.  It was done right  8)  It does need an exhaust system which is sceduled for next week and it'll need tires within the year.  The cab has had some less than profesional work done to the cab corners but the floor boards and mounts are great.  The doors have some rust on the bottoms too but it's a 24 year truck  :) :)  In the spring I'm going to take it in for an estimate on having the cab redone.  Considering a new one would cost ten times or more what I paid for this plus the shape of the drive train in this truck a little restoration work would be worth it  :) 
  I still need to build some side racks and a tailgate for the bed.  I'm planning how I want to do it  ;) :)  Otherwise she's ready to go.  I've delivered a few cords of wood and some round bales of hay with the old beast and I like it  8) 8) 8)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

oakiemac

Man, I love that dump bed. I could find a few uses for one of them. Congrats on the find.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DanG

That looks like a good'un, Greg!  Theres a Dodge 1T dump settin' by the street in Quincy with a sign on it.  Looks to be about the same vintage.  I wish somebody would buy the DanG thing and remove the temptation!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Nice find , I like those mechanical trucks ...  8) 8) 8)

They are almost indistructible  , drive and ride like a tank .  ;D

Dan , Ya should just go down da road , buy it and getthe temptation done and over with  ;)   Then see what Linda would have ta saye .  ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Father ran an '80 4x4 150 for 20 years on the farm. Had a welder set up on it to take to the field for break down repairs. Never used no dump on a pickup, but we had one on a '62 International V220 we used for 30 years.  ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Had a 78 one ton gmc dump Ran it until a few years ago when the cab fell apart. You should think about getting a set of duals for the back. Then you will have much less tire problems with heavy loads. Should be a direct bolt on or maybe you will need longer studs.

Stonebroke

Reddog

Looks good.
Dump beds sure are nice. :)

rebocardo

Nice find, wish I could find a Ford or Chevy like that.

pigman

Wow. :o  I have bought trucks that have only been driven by a little old lady to her mailbox and back, but to find a truck that has spent most of it's life at a cementery is a rare find. ;D ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

I know a truck used to move furniture, but it doesn't move much. The owners of the furniture store are a 98 year old lady and her 76 year old daughter.  The old lady can't see to drive because of glaucoma, but is determined she will drive again. ;)  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jgoodhart

Nice truck ;) They are great work horses.

Coon

My '87 is in about the same shape by the sounds of it.  Mine is just the 1/2 ton with the reguar box on it.  I got one on ya though.  I gots the fuel injected.  Gotta put mme a new clutch in it and gonna change out the tranny in mine while I am at it.  It's got the 3 spd standard with bull low.  Going to put an actuall 4 spd in it so my mileage comes up while on the highway. Right now I am pushing 2000 RPM @ 55 mph,  With the tranny change I should get in the neighborhood of 60-65 mph @ 2000 RPM.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

DR_Buck

Nice looking truck Greg.    If I had a need for another one, that's what I'd be looking for.   I sold my 1 ton dump about 6 years ago.  It was a 1961 Ford F-350.   Body was shot and parts for the running gear were had to come by.   I replaced it with new (1974  ;D) 5 ton F-500.    I don't think I could live without a dump bed anymore.   

As far as a tailgate goes. I'd put on a tip gate, that way you can spread gravel and such.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Corley5

I got my racks and tailgate finished up this morning.  Everything takes longer than expected ;D  They turned out fairly well.  One of the tailgate sections isn't quite square though  :)  I bought a couple chunks of square tubing otherwise everthing else was on hand in a scrap or lumber pile  8)  With the racks it'll haul 2 16" face cords which is what most people want in the winter.  I thought about making a spreader tailgate but opted for the barndoor style instead.
  The old truck's still working good.  I keep clutching to shift into fifth gear  ;D  I do wish it had fuel injection but as long as the Quadra Junk keeps going I'll use it.  Holley makes a nice aftermarket TBI system  ;)  I had a GM small block TBI system with intake and a fuel pump but got rid of it a few years ago.  What was I ever going to need it for ???  I had a dual exhaust system put on  it the day after Christmas and tomorrow it's going to the Dr for new transfer case mounts.  One is broken and has let everything shift out of alignment causing vibration.  The bolt is broken off in the case or I'd do the job.  Laying on my back under it with a drill and easy outs and whatever else might be required isn't my idea of a good time.  I'll let someone with a hoist do it and I'll cut timber  ;D  I'm finally going to get back to the woods tomorrow  8) 8) 8)

Dave Shepard

The company I used to work for had an '89 454 with Toilet Bowl Injection. I always wondered which way the fuel swirled around in the northern hemisphere, CW, or CCW. ::)

Truck looks good Corley5!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Toilet Bowl Injection  :D ;D :D ;D 

SwampDonkey

Snow? What snow? There is firewood to be delivered.  8)

Don P

QuoteToilet Bowl Injection
:D :D
I had thought about upgrading from the old quadrabogs till I read that  :D The last couple times I've just bolted on an aftermarket edelbrock 4 bbl and have had pretty good luck with them, DanG things still suck through the gas though.

Dave Shepard

I have used the Edelbrocks, and so have some of my friends, they work well. An edelbrock is just an old Carter AFB, unless I am mistaken. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

AS for tires, we had a trailer tire thread here a while back, if those rims are 16" you can use the same bullet proof full steel casing Goodyears G149's I put on my trailer. No sway, no way. With that dump I would have to have them, I'd look like I was dancing going down the road. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=28748.msg412830#msg412830

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Corley5

I looked for those Goodyear tires on their site but they don't list drivers in 16"s just ribbed.  They wouldn't do well on wet grass  ;) ;D

Ironwood

I do know that some of the local State Forest trucks run them, I will ask my tire guy about how that works, I do know they retread them at least once as well.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!