iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy!

Started by ErikC, December 21, 2007, 11:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikC

Just wanted to introduce myself, I live in N California and run a peterson 8", also some other heavy equipment. That,s real handy around a sawmill! I've enjoyed the forum off and on quite  a while but now I'll try and be productive!
Good to be here,  Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Tom

Hellow there, erik.  Have a seat. :)

LeeB

Howdy back at ya. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don K

Welcome, glad to have you.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Left Coast Chris

Hi Erik,  

I am in N. Calif also.   Im in Anderson, just south of Redding.  Where are you?

The FF is a great place to meet new friends and learn about sawing.    You have found a great community that is always helpful.   -- welcome--
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

sgtmaconga

welcome to the group
Measure twice cut once

ronwood

Welcome to the forum erik.  As Tom said "Have a seat" and stay awhile.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

thecfarm

ErikC,glad to meet you.It's good that you have signed up as a member.How long have you been sawing?What are doing with all of your lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Part_Timer

welcome, nice to have another swing mill around.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ErikC

Thanks for the welcome.  I bought my peterson 8 years ago, Its been real good. I have used it more to cut for others than me. I got a little bit longer tracks, so I can cut 27'
Chris-Hayfork is not far from Anderson, 2 hours or so west.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Captain

Hey, another left coast swingmill operator.  Welcome Erik!!

Captain ( just sawing those tiny logs in the east... )

jackpine

Welcome ErikC You will enjoy it here

My wife and I passed through Hayfork about 12 yrs ago while on a vacation in N Ca.. If the road in from the west is not any better now than it was then doubt we will be coming back ;D

Bill

Left Coast Chris

Eric,

I am very familar with Hayfork (just a little slow noticing your info).   You probably know Pat Green aka JPGreen here on the forum.   He is also in Hayfork and has a Woodmiser.   Great guy.

I was the Project Manager for Caltrans for the Hayfork Creek Bridge Project so spent a little time up there.  My dad did work for Sierra Pacific in constructing some of the sawmill there.   I worked with him some years ago. 

Its a small world.  It will be good to hear a little more about your operation. 

I built a home made woodmiser LT30 clone and have done a fair amount of sawing with it.  We live on 10 acres that was an old Walnut orchard and have sawn them mostly along with anything I run accross down here in the valley for hobby wood.

Just made some family name signs for all of my brothers (4) and dad for christmas out of some old growth redwood drift wood I picked up on the coast.  They are turning out pretty good.   Since they were in the water so long they are darker red than normal.  Beautiful.  They are full of sand so a little hard on blades and router bits.

Hope you have a good Christmas.

-Chris-

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

ErikC

Sounds like a pretty good winter project Chris.

I have also sawed a small amount of drift redwood, it is beautiful. Most of what I cut around here is Doug fir, ponderosa pine, and cedar. But I have cut white fir, sugar pine, alder, black oak, white oak quite a few times. 

The biggest job I did this year was for a guy who is building a post and beam house. I cut a little over 30,000 bf for his house, outbuildings, etc. Also I did some of his site prep, and all the falling and logging. There were several big old firs about 40".  We will continue the project next spring-he gets snowed out. And his neighbor saw us working and has a pretty big project for me after I finish.

Right now I am cutting a bunch of cedar for my dad, as it's kind of a slow couple weeks, and he works with me a lot so I owe him! I take my backhoe to every milling job, and almost always end up running it for a few hours after the milling's over.  Nothing gets neighbors together like a bunch of noisy equipment in someones yard, next thing you know you're working your way down the street!

Erik

jpgreen

Welcome to sawdust heaven Eric..  8)

We are neighbors, probably bumped into each other at the post office.. ;D  My place is south west and pointed towards South Fork Mountain Ridge. The post and beam project sounds great you are milling for.  I want to build one of those homes.

If you ever run into Chris you can't miss him.  He's real tall..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!