iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hush Puppies

Started by Norm, December 21, 2007, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I'm dying to try a different recipe than the one I have. Anybody got a good one to share?

isawlogs

Last time I got mine a a shoe store ... You must be talking 'bout somethin else........ :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Nope, go get one of yours and give it a try Marcel, mmmm good! ;)

dail_h

I don't generly do this,but this IS kinda ofa SEEElect groupsoooo
   DAIL WORLD FAMOUS HUSHPUPPIES
   I was given this recipe by the old gentelman who used to cook them for our vol fire dept. I had helped him several years,one supper he handed me the recipe on a piece of brown paper bag. Less than a month later,he was dead. These are Very good as given,howeverI have added a secret ingredient, which I WILL NOT give out. Mine are noticeably better.
   Remember for 100 plates
   1. 5# yellow corn meal
   2. 2# self rising flour
   3.3# yellow onion
   4. 2# sugar
   5.1 doz extra large,or better ,double yolk eggs
   6. 1/2 gal whole milk
   7. 1oz +or- Texas Pete
   8.salt and pepper to taste
   Mix dry stuff together
   Blend onions,milk,and eggs,Texas Pete together.Be sure to blend onions very well,the smaller,the better.
   Mix dry ingriedients into wet. This will be easy at first,but will get harder as you go. I usually winde up with bothhands in it.
   Mix several hrs ahead,I try for 3 to 5,this gives the cornmeal a chance to soften. Heat large pan with oil 4 to 5 in deep to 325 to 375 degrees.
   Drop hushpuppies into hot oil, turning once ,take out when just past golden brown.

ENJOY
   Note,weather ,and brand of ingriedients affect how hushpuppies cook,and turn out. I use a "hushpuppie" dropper that belongs to the fire dept,makes 4 per stroke. This mix,and two 16x16 pand will keep 2 guys busy.Different brands of oil cook different, use the best you can buy. Cheap oil is likely to scorch before you finish cooking. Oil is right temp, when hushpuppies initaly sink,then slowly rise after one and a half to two minuets. By the time they float,they should be pretty well ready to turn.Sometimes,they will turn themselves,sometimes ,you can't keep them turned,don't sweat it,they'll be ok. Usually takes two or three pans to get oil,and cook time right. You want them brown on the outside,but done on the inside

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

Dail
I learned a secret from my Grandmom and Aunt Mary.  When making "cornbreads" boiling hot water was added to the corn meal and the meal mixed and set aside.  It hurried the softening of the meal.

In your recipe, replacement of some of the milk might be needed to make up for the hot water.  You can't get milk hot enough to do what needs to be done.

I did have an epiphany though.  You might be able to use powdered milk and hold back on enough liquid to make a concentrated milk liquid for adding later.

Diced bell pepper is good too, or diced jalopena if your tongue will stand it.

'course.........don't fix what ain't broke.  :D

DanG

My late Brother used to add some diced tomatoes to his.  They was gooooood!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norm

Thanks Dail but to be honest I'm just a little pithed you are holding out the secret ingredient....give me the first letter of it and we'll go from there. ;)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

OK I have to ask, what is Texas Pete? Besides being an ingredient in Dail's hushpuppies, I have never heard of it. 

I am guessing the secret ingredient is garlic.  ;)

Do I win the prize?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Furby

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

dail_h

Jeff, you are sooooooooooooooooooo wromg. Now re the secrete ingriedient,even the guy who helped me make them every year at the fire dept doesn't know,my brother doesen't know,it's not written down,and none of the guesses are remotely close.   If I tell,wont be no secret no mo eh
      Volume Discount At ER

Furby

Well then Dail, maybe you better show up at the piggy roast with a batch and we can have a little contest of sorts. :)

dail_h

Been thginkin bout that,pignpuppies goes good together,long ways thoug,$3 gas n all
      Volume Discount At ER

Furby

I hear ya Dail, but we get folks from Florida and Paul H and family made it in from British Columbia, Canada this year.
Start putting your pennies away.
Hey Greyhound is often cheaper then driving, something to think about. ;)

Jeff

You want him to sell his dog so he can come?

Furby

Well, would you if you were in his shoes ???

olyman

Quote from: Furby on December 24, 2007, 10:17:51 AM
Well then Dail, maybe you better show up at the piggy roast with a batch and we can have a little contest of sorts. :)
and then--take one to a friendly chemist--and have it analyzed--bingo--secret ingredient :) :)

Jeff

I know! Olyman has made me realize!  The secret ingredient must be Mrs. Dash!  :-\ ;)

Furby

Sorry olyman, I was thinking along the lines of a taste test/guessing game.
I figure with that many folks there from all over the country, someone would be able to figure out the ingredient by taste. ;)

dail_h

As to my arriving by Grayhound,it ain't agonna happen.... Ain't entirely sure I'd give much cosideration to even a ride diiiirectly to da pearly gates ona dawg. Jest ain't nowhere important enought to git to ta hafta ride no dawg,no suh. Y'all all go ahead on an guess,the guess'n ain't really the hard part,it's the verifing that generly causes the trouble.     Still,in over twenty years,ain't nobody guessed right yit,'course you might git lucky ;D ;D ;D ;D
      Volume Discount At ER

dail_h

Since it's commin up on a big holiday n all,an since I'm such a swell guy n all,and since my darlin adorable bride is the Child Nutrition Director at the local school system,an has a computer program ta do it I got her ta put my hushpuppy recipe in a more family friendly size.
                 10 Portions

Yellow corn meal---8oz
   Self rising flour---3 1/4 oz
   Sugar-------------3 1/4 oz
   Onion-------------4 7/8 oz
   Egg whole fresh--1 1/4
   Milk,Whole ------3/4 cup+ 1/2 tbsp
   Salt---------------7/8 tsp
   Pepper black-----1/8 tsp
   Texas Pete ------2 3/8tsp
   Y'all go on an enjoy'em. They go good wif most summertime ouydoor meals. Don't know 'bout all them odd measurements,parts of ozzs n stuff. 'Course mayb it'll keep y'all from meddlin in stuff ya got no bidness in,secrete ingrediants n suchn all. ENJOY
      Volume Discount At ER

Don P

OldBay?

One of my wife's brothers brought home a date for a big family fish fry many years ago. As she served herself they told her what was what and who had caught it. She got to the hush puppies and proclaimed them excellent asking "Who caught these?". She is not a sister in law  :D.

Did you all grow up with the same story for their name as I did?

If anyone is still planting, we grew Bulldog Hungarian paprika last year, those things are awesome.

Thank You Sponsors!