iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ earthquake?

Started by DanG, December 21, 2007, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I heard there was a major quake in New Zealand this morning.  Has anyone heard from any of our Kiwi friends?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TexasTimbers

Google News is reporting several different magnitudes. 6.8 being the highest I saw, and origination about 30 miles SE of Gisborne.

They also report NZ, which sits atop two tectonic plates which are colliding, and has about 14,000 earthquakes a year, with about 150 strong enough to feel, and about 10 per year are strong enough to do damage.

No casualties reported that I could find thankfully.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

As far as I can see, our members are a minimum of 350k from the quake center. Ianab is on the other side of the country and Peterson's in between
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

My apologies. The report I quoted from above was 22 hours old. The 2 hour report is not vastly different, but it does say the damage is "extensive" in Gisborne, with about 16 injured and 6 needing "emerguency accomodations". I guess that means their homes were too bad to stay in.
One elderly woman died of a heart attack right after the quake.

Click on the "News" link on Google and you can select whatever news source you like. Of course all the major networks are reporting on it as well. Sounds like they dodged a bullet this time because the quake was well offshore and "40km deep." That's way down there.

Jeff

There is no where in the ocean that deep. They must have meant the fault was that far into the earth
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

yes I am sure that's what they meant. the Marianna's (sp?) trench is the deepest I believe like around 7 miles plus or minus.

Ianab

Didn't feel anything here, but it was a good sized quake if you were close to it.
About the size of the Los Angeles one a few years ago.

It wasn't the BIG one though. It was off in a small side fault fairly deep and out to sea.
Main damage seems to be to the Gisborne city shopping area where a few building were badly damaged (have to be torn down). And to the wine stocks in the supermakets and bottle stores  :'(
One resturant owner they interviewed on TV was lamenting the $20k of wine that fell off the shelf  :o
Another I feel sorry for was the local librarians, 90% of the books ended up on the floor, and now 'someone' has to pick em all up and put them back on the right shelf  ::)

Could have been a LOT worse.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Radar67

The deepest known point in the ocean (Pacific) is a little over 11km.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/CuiMiuChin.shtml
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

How deep is that in American?

I found it.  35,838 feet

The Puerto Rico Trench is 28,374 feet and I've been over it.  ;D

Radar67

A little over 36,000 feet.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

What a cotton pickin'n mess!!

The bite of it is that they all have to go back according to the dewey decimal system.   They'll need some reading glasses for that.

That young librarian might have gray hair and sport a cane before they get them all back up.

TexasTimbers

Glad to hear from you Ian. Hope you don't live to see "The Big One".

I guess most of us are aware that there are fault lines prettty much all over the planet, not just along the major plates. Some are long dormant and expected to become active again. I live near one myself right here in Texas, that runs directly below the city of McKinney. It was the site of a "big one" some 500 years ago according to those more clever than i who figure all this stuff out.

Some of you may know that the great Indian Chief Tecumseh had a brother (Tenskatawa I think its spelled) who predicted a "big one" a whole year before it happened (1801?) and said "The Great River" (the Mississppi) would flow backwards. It happened just as he predicted. :o Guess that Peyote gave him some sort of accurate vision accidentally. i can't remember in what state got it the most back then but there weren't a whole lot of folks around back then that spoke much english in those parts yet.

New York city is supposed to get whacked anytime in the big sceme of things according to the Disaster Channel (formerly known as the History Channel).

Japan is another Island that gets thousands of them every year. I experienced several mild ones while I lived ther as I bet Jim did before he moved. It is not a good feeling to have the ground shake beneath your feet. It humbles you and puts your relative insignificance in perspective right fast.

Tom, Radar's link says 7 miles. It gives several different things that seem almsot contradoctory. I just remember from my school days that's what we were taught.

SwampDonkey

I didn't feel a thing way over here neither. ;)

We've had several quakes in the past, but mostly centered around Holmes and Jocks Lakes, which are as far away from the population centers as you can possibly get. They've all been over 6 as I can recall. Last one I felt was in the mid 80's when my brother got mad at someone and kicked a metal guard rail on the steps as the quake begun. Scared him ####less.  ;D ;D ;D

The capital city of Fredericton is fair on top of an old fault and the river flows on top of an underground river. So there is a layer of bedrock or river rock (whatever) between the upper and lower rivers. You go out the Royal Road and you can see where the ground was uplifted where there is a rock face of Basalt and on top of that cliff you can see glacial striations in the basalt. Which all happened many eons apart of course, with the glaciers being the most recent geology.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

We had a pretty good shaker up here a day or two ago.  No one hurt here, either.

sawguy21

I lived in Victoria B.C. for three years and remember waking up to the room shaking and the windows rattling. It scared the bejabbers out of me the first time but I got used to it, it was a fairly common occurrence.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

miley

Alive and well in N.z's far north, never felt a thing

Husband

We are all well here in Rotorua as well.
Wife and I were having a cuppa when she said to me "feel that"? I just gave her a look of "What you on girl" then I saw her disco light glass ball thing which is hanging on the roof waving around and we are about 100 miles away from Gisborne.
Oh well, another day living on a major fault line.

Ernie

All you ever wanted to know about earthquakes in New Zealand.  I use it as my home page.  http://www.geonet.org.nz/

It needs to be a really big quake to wake me after a day on the mill :)

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!