iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where can I get a pole streacher?

Started by peter nap, December 21, 2007, 01:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

I am building this pole barn:

I give up trying to post images here :(

Anyway, for part of the barn I need 20 foot poles and can only get 12's. Is there a way to scarf joint two poles or build them up?

Radar67

Is this the photo you were trying to post?

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

peter nap

Radar67

There is a very good tutorial in the help section on posting photos here. You have the hard part of resizing down since you have images in your gallery. You can copy the image link in the white box below the picture as you view it, then paste it into your post window.

Welcome to the forum.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

peter nap

tried that but I must not have been holding my mouth right.

Radar67

Did you highlight the text in the box that starts with IMG and ends with /IMG? Once you highlight it, you can right click, select copy, then go to your post window, right click and select paste. I left the brackets out so the text would show on the screen. They need to be included when you copy.

peter nap

Like I said...Not holding my mouth right...Thanks!

Dana

The answer is yes. Last summer I saw a pole barn that used treated 8x8's for ground contact then above grade they switched to white wood 2x8's nailed together to make  an 8x8. This was on a large comercial pole barn put up by Morton Buildings I believe.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

thecfarm

Now that you know how to post pictures you can keep us up dated on your progress.  ;D  You talk about a pole barn.I suppose the poles are still round?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

peter nap

Thanks Dana. That had occurred to me and I had thought about cutting a tenon on the foundation pole and matching an untreated pole to it also. Since there will be some living quarters in it, I would like to avoid any interior  wood that's treated.

thecfarm, No, the posts, poles, piers ...whatever ;D are square.

I've finished the out building for the most part. It was a good starter project. It's a solar pole shed and has the water tank and the on demand gas hot water heater in it. The tank is for storage and also holds the heat at night so the gas HW heater doesn't freeze.

I'm going to have a lot of questions before this is finished, so hopefully you all will humor me. :-[

Norm

The pole barn companies around here use just the same technique, 2x6's in a triple layer that is offset from each other making a scarf joint as such. The bottom layers are treated but the next layer is untreated on up. Mine from Morton has a 10' sidewall. Taller than that they switch up to 2x8's.

LOGDOG

Peter,

One thing you could use is concrete. They sell cylindrical forms which could be braced and set on top of a footing and then poured. Then if you put an anchor in the top you could take off from there with wood. I don't think it'd be that difficult to put anchors in the side of the form/ concrete cylinders to hang siding on either. I'm considering this here for a building that I'm going to raise. We have so much moisture in Louisiana and termites to boot that it makes it an appealing option. Looking forward to seeing your building come together.

LOGDOG

Furby

You will need to reinforce those concrete piers with a rebar "cage" inside I belive.
Depending on what you are using for sheathing/siding, simply mounting a nailer to them wouldn't be hard at all.

Thank You Sponsors!