iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hank Snow

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, December 21, 2007, 11:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I just picked up a new, to me, hank snow CD. It reminded about the time I went to a Rodeo in Upper Marlboro a little over 25 years ago. We enjoyed the Rodeo and that night there was Clogging, the dance type not drain type, then Sheb Wolley and Ben Colder did a show. I swear those guys must be brothers! Hank Snow wound up the show and it was great. At one point a big fight broke out and Hank didn't miss a beat, he just said "Thats right, everybody dance" and went on with the song.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Hi-Country Orange

W.S. 25 yr. ago if people wanted to fight most generally you let them & just went on about your day, because there was not as much concern about getting shot or stabbed,simpler times i guess.  :D
                                                    Randy

mike_van

That CD is about the only way you'd get to hear Hank nowadays - Him, Ray Price, Jim Reeves, Carl Smith - They made a lot better music than the junk played today.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

TexasTimbers

I don't listen to much country, but when I do I plug in a Johnny Horton or Marty Robbins CD. I consider alot of Horton's music more folk than C&W, and Robbin's music more Western than "Country" and Western.

Mike, all those artists you named, were among my parents collection when I was a kid. I can still see in my minds' eye a Carl Smith album jacket with him sitting on a horse with some kind of black and white trim around the saddle and a big cowboy hat. I don't remember the color of the hat but there was black and white around the saddle somehow. Does it sound familiar to anyone?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Mike, my grandparents, mostly grandfather as I recall, would sit and play those artist's records in the slow times of the year when the fishing and hunting were done. I think my uncle still has stacks of those old records around. I wish times were like the 70's all over again.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dancan

Just got to pipe up here , he's a product of Nova Scotia  :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Snow

sawguy21

My grandfather was a big fan of Hank Snow. I still remember the scratchy 78's.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DR Buck

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 21, 2007, 04:33:39 PM
Mike, my grandparents, mostly grandfather as I recall, would sit and play those artist's records in the slow times of the year when the fishing and hunting were done. I think my uncle still has stacks of those old records around. I wish times were like the 70's all over again.  :)

Over the past couple years I've been digitizing my music so I can play it in the house, truck and my mp3 player.  I currently have over 4000 songs digitized.   Half of them are old country and very early R&R.   I still play Hank Snow.  I also have and listen to quite frequently:

Slim Whitman
Waylon Jennings
Tex Ritter
Buck Owens
Collin Raye
Eddie Arnold
Gene Autry
Red Sovine
and of course Willie Nelson

smiley_singsongnote02   smiley_hillbilly_tub_base  smiley_turkey_dancing   smile_banjoman smiley_singsongnote02   smiley_turkey_dancing  smiley_fiddler     smiley_turkey_dancing  smiley_singsongnote02

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

mike_van

And, not to leave out the female side of country, Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, and the best country voice I ever heard, Tammy Wynette.  We saw Tammy at a show years ago, she came out on stage, sat on a stool, kicked her shoes off, and just sang.  No jumpin' around, no trick lights or any other bs - Just Tammy.  What a voice she had.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sgtmaconga

As with most of you i grew up in a country music home. mine was mostly at a place called the Wagon Wheel in Warner Robins Ga. i have not been to that place in almost 25 years. I went thru WR the other day. it's now some kind of shop. i bet they burned up a lot of saw blades remodling that place. it was one of the orginal knife and gun clubs
Measure twice cut once

fuzzybear

Hank Snow, Jonny Horton, and Hank Carr, All came from somewhere else, but all of them were sons of the Yukon.  There isn't a Yukoner alive that doesn't recognize those names and can recite half their songs. :D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Thank You Sponsors!