iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Lights

Started by Tom, December 20, 2007, 11:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

It's always a special evening when Gael and I go to see the lights and decorations that people have put up on their houses.  There are streets of lights.  Some streets are loaded, with every house lit to the top.

We couldn't find any.  Jacksonville was dark.  Well, there were a few, I don't mean to make it sound any more dismal than it was, but hardly anyone was decorating this year.  We sure were disappointed.  :-\

And then it rained.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I haven't seen much  at all for Christmas lights this year. Maybe a few houses with candles in the windows. There was a big stink in one of the papers about Christmas lights in town. I think any group of people should be able to be festive in their own manner, whatever it is.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Yep, the festivities are being drowned by the politically correct bunch.

The rain is good.  I especially like it this evening with the street lights shining in the drops.   I would have figured it would make it as far north as you, WDH.

Dave Shepard

It's a toasty 34° here, so we might even be getting some rain soon too. Be slip-sliding around for sure if we do.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Roxie

We've got our lights out, and our area has lots of houses all decked out.  Tom, it's too bad you don't live in our area, because even if the homeowners dissapoint, Longwood Gardens puts on a display that takes your breath away.  You don't have to enter the Gardens to appreciate it either, they decorate enormous pines right along Route 1.  The Herr's Potato Chip Factory has a free display too.  It get's bigger every year.

I've noticed that lately a lot of folks say "Have a Nice Holiday" but I just look em in the eye and say, "Merry Christmas!"   :)
Say when

SwampDonkey

Up on my end of the community, my cousin is the only one with lights up. He has a couple young ones and he has a Christmas tree business, so he decorates the yard like Santa's workshop. We have some folks that don't use lights, but they decorate trees the traditional way. Then there are older folks and some of us without family that don't bother. I know in my area it has nothing to do with politics at all and has more to do with the family unit with some Christmas spirit stirred in there somewhere.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Tom they also being drowned by economics. We didn't have lights this year for the first time in over 20 years. It had nothing to do with political correctness on our part.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Economics is a big reason I never started them here, and also why we stopped most of them at my parents.
Besides the trouble involved with the whole deal.
You don't have to try and recover them from the ice and snow Tom, or replace all the damaged stuff if they get torn apart by the ice and snow.
Besides, the electric company just rasied their rates yet again. ::)

sawguy21

Lots of houses decorated here, even my Sikh landlord put some up. Some people are really going all out but the yard ornaments keep disappearing >:(.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Last year the neighbor very peaved at someone since they never caught the person doing it. There was no snow so no tracks. ;D

They had two of those wired framed deer with lights. The doe was animated so the head would turn. The buck was stationary.  They kept finding them re-arranged in the morning. I guess someone was trying to get a fawn for the grouping. :-X

Furby

Gee, wonder who would do something like that! ::)

That where your "little" doe cam from ??? ;)

Jeff

Quote from: Furby on December 21, 2007, 10:45:54 AM
Gee, wonder who would do something like that! ::)

That where your "little" doe cam from ??? ;)

Hey!  May be... :D

Radar67

My Step-Dad only put up half as many lights this year, due mainly to economics. He usually strings up 12-15 thousand.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Kas

Well, I tried very hard to minimize the amount put up this year, but seems between the kids and the wife more kept appearing every day. Even tried hiding the extension cords, they just bought more. I am not winning this one, but then I'm not fighting it much either. :)

Just east of the St Louis area we have Our Lady Of The Snows Shrine that put up a drive thru display every year, this year they have over 3 million lights up. Very beautiful.
Scott

Tom

We've got tree ornaments hanging in the trees from the hard-road to the house (about 1/2 mile) and Christmassy stuff all over the house and front yard.  Nobody out here in the woods to see it but us though.

The neighbors brought their little kids 3, 5 and 7 and they enjoyed it.  Made our day.  :)

Jeff

Did Gael ever get the egg down? ;D

Tom

yes.  It took her a good long time because she was enjoying it.

gharlan

No lights for me this year. Something about my attempting to put them up two weeks ago, me on a ladder, cell ringing, me answering, a sudden stop, a dislocated shoulder. Those are expensive lights that I do not have up this year.

Tom

sorry about that gharlon.  Least your heart was in the right place..

I hope you are quick to heal and that the mishap doesn't impede your enjoyment of Christmas.

Patty

We have our lights up shining brightly down at the end of our lane.  :) 

I hung a lighted wreath in the big window in the dining room this year, it is so pretty. We did our annual Christmas tree trek and last weekend the beautiful tree went up. I settled for a 10 footer this year since a blizzard was bearing down on us when we went to cut the tree, so the search was short & sweet. The tree is beautiful in all its splendor, especially with presents starting to gather beneath it.

Merry Christmas everybody!  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

thecfarm

Ours are up.What makes it's so great is we can go up on the next hill and see the lights.We always have to take a ride up there the first night to check them out.I really can't tell if less are putting up lights or not.Looks about the same to me.Merry Christmas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

I've never put any up, due to the distance from the road.  Like Tom, nobody to see it but me.  But, I've seen plenty in the area.  It doesn't seem to be any drop off.  But, the electric rates aren't supposed to go up until next year. 

I live on the outskirts of a small town that has lots of old time traditions.  On Thanksgiving weekend, they put lights on all the telephone poles on the main street.  They are big snowflakes.  At the square, someone always donates a big tree and it gets decorated.

Usually, about the week after Thanksgiving, they have the tree lighting.  The Jonestown Mens Chorus is on hand to sing all types of Christmas songs.  About a hundred people or so come out to sing along and watch the lighting.  We even had a touch of snow in the air this year.  Its about the only time you get to see the mayor (when we have one  ;D).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Sounds just like what goes on in the little rural towns around here Ron.  ;)

Someone must have a patent on those snow flakes and canes. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

The Mrs & I also like to go out and view Christmas lights around the town on Christmas Eve.  Kind of a tradition now, one her family used to do when she was a kid.

Thank You Sponsors!