iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm not so sure about this....

Started by scgargoyle, December 20, 2007, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

I just read on house building forum that builders are starting to use finger jointed 2X4 studs (!) The argument is that they are more stable against twisting and warpage, and that they are more 'green' since they can use shorter pieces of wood. Of course, they can't be used in horizontal applications, but I'm still not crazy about the idea. What do you think?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Furby

They've been using finger jointed furring strips for a long time, but that's different then a stud.
Hmmm......... Guess I'd have to see some test numbers to form an opinion.
I've seen some pretty good finger jointed wood, and in say a single story house, there really isnt that much load on any given stud.

Tom

I'm all for making stuff out of scrap, but not all for saying it's better.  It sounds like some marketing jargon going on there. Even if the stud is as strong as a solid stud, it's still in pieces.

If there were one argument against it, it would probably come from the firemen.  They aren't in favor of entering houses with all of that chemical smoke from carpets, furniture, plastics and manmade building materials.  They even have exception to manmade beams.  That is glue too and will burn at different rates such that ceilings and walls collapse rather than come down at a measurable rate.

Are we really that close to being out of trees that we have to manufacture studs?

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Tom on December 20, 2007, 05:54:38 PM

Are we really that close to being out of trees that we have to manufacture studs?

I bet it is just a matter of the manufacturer trying to get as much out of the raw material they have already purchased rather than a lack of raw material. Just like the narrow short strips of hardwood flooring. There are plenty of good pine and hemlock around here, but they must not need them, as they sure won't pay for them.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

a quick google took me to several suppliers, most produce "vertical use only" studs (the stamp "stud" on any stick means vertical use only).

One website had this though;

Structural Applications
Finger-jointed products grade stamped CERT EXT JNTS are intended for all structural applications. This lumber is assembled with a waterproof, exterior-type adhesive. Limitations on knot size and placement near joints are highly restrictive. CERT EXT JNTS stamped products may be used interchangeably with any solid-sawn lumber product of the same species and grades. The lumber may be used as beams, joists, rafters, studs, plates, or in any other exterior or interior framing application.

They do state in several places that the joints are twice as strong as the maximum allowable design load. That is pretty much the way the powers that be test to come up with allowable load.

routestep

I once read an article, maybe it was in Fine Woodworking, on the life of glues used in furniture. Acetate based glues didn't seem to last all that long. Hopefully a very tight joint will keep glue from oxidizing away before the wood goes.

maineframer

This is a product that I would reject. I'm not even liking fingerjointed trim products. We have seen joints fail after only a few weeks of expousure on 908 casing that was finger jointed. I wouldn't take a chance on a "structural" finger jointed stud. This is one more victory for the timber frame. ;) I wonder if I should finger joint all those 16" 8x10's together (that I have in my firewood pile) and call it a post?? NO I think I'll stick to what works.
David

Thank You Sponsors!