iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric Power Feed

Started by Foxtrapper, December 20, 2007, 01:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxtrapper

2014 WoodMizer LT28

Tom

It might work, but I think you will get a better deal buying proven stuff at woodmizer.  They have an 800 number and sell parts. :)

mike_van

45 inch pounds of torque, I think it's to small.   Thats not even 4 ft lbs.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

logwalker

I say too small also. Get on ebay and search for gearmotors in business and industrial. Look for 1/3 to 1/2 horsepower. Search for a dc speed control that matches the voltage of the motor and your good to go. Sometimes you can find the set together. I have bought several. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Foxtrapper

Thanks for the replies, i've been watching ebay, so maybe i'll get lucky.   :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

HOOF-ER

Hey Foxtrapper, This motor  I believe is 180 volts. I am also looking for one to power up and down. Surplus has some 90 Degree  in 12 volt that I have been looking at a little pricey though. Will take a little more rigging.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

bandmiller2

Trapper,you would have trouble  getting 180v dc ,and it would flat $ss knock your peavy straight.Would be much better to use hydraulics.I ran a small pump,mounted a hyd. motor and drum with cable for feed.To raise and lower head I used a hyd. cylinder mounted verticle, double pulleys in the yoke fix one end of the wire cable, run through pulleys on top to movible saw assy.For every inch of cyl. travel gives you two on the saw.Double spool valve on the carrage one with detent and adjustable needle valve for carrage feed ,full speed gig back.If elect. is your choise ,as suggested,12v would be safer and cheaper.Keep us updated Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

musikwerke

As stated in the previous reply, you don't want to be messing with high voltage DC especially outside in the weather on a mill.  You get your hands on that and it will hold you there until you're fried.
John

mike_van

The Dart controller I use will do 90 or 180 VDC, depending on how it's wirerd. 120v in you get 90, 240 in you get 180vdc.  My mills in a barn under cover though, and whats supposed to be grounded is. All the wire feeding it is in conduit, the wires to the head are in an overhead swinging boom that's mounted on one wall, it follows the head back & forth.  Any wire dragging on the ground is not a good idea, murphys law, you know.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

york

Hi,it is a cute little thing,but would be slow and not enough power...
Albert

Foxtrapper

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 21, 2007, 06:51:05 AM
Trapper,you would have trouble  getting 180v dc ,and it would flat $ss knock your peavy straight.Would be much better to use hydraulics.I ran a small pump,mounted a hyd. motor and drum with cable for feed.To raise and lower head I used a hyd. cylinder mounted verticle, double pulleys in the yoke fix one end of the wire cable, run through pulleys on top to movible saw assy.For every inch of cyl. travel gives you two on the saw.Double spool valve on the carrage one with detent and adjustable needle valve for carrage feed ,full speed gig back.If elect. is your choise ,as suggested,12v would be safer and cheaper.Keep us updated Frank C.

Any pics of your hydraulic set up?  Pics are worth a thousand worlds ;D.  As far as elect goes, if anyone knows the model and product number of the correct motor, please post.  Thanks. :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Woodwalker

I added both power up and and travel to my mill. It is set up under a shed and stationary. Power up/down is with a Dayton gear-motor, Grainger model #4Z383. It is 90V DC (120V AC source), 1/8 HP, 58:1 ratio, 31 RPM. Raise/lower travel on the head is about 1" per 4 seconds. The variable speed control is made by Dart, #253G-200E.
Forward and reverse travel consists of a gearbox driven by a reversible, variable speed three-phase motor. The VFD drive converts single-phase voltage to a three-phase voltage and alows the frequency to be adjusted controlling the speed or feed rate of the motor.
I've got a few old pictures in my gallery,
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Foxtrapper

WW

That's cool, and it looks like you have a remote control there as well.  I'm not sure how many forum members have ever had the chance to work with a Timber Harvestor mill, but that is what I am used to running.  Their remote controler controled up/down, forward/reverse, and engine speed.  Theirs was all hyd.  I would kinda like to build that sort of system, in either hyd or elect, which ever is easier.  I don't plan on moving my mill once it is set up. :)

I love pics, if they are closeups that's even better.  Thanks everyone.... :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

bandmiller2

Trapper,sorry on the picture part I'am somewhat cyberly challenged.I have worked with timber harvestor, anyone that owens one is not abused,their rugged and fairly simple to run and work on.In fact I would rather own one than the flagship brand,not so many little switches and relays to go bad.[flack jacket on]Trapper I don't recall what mill you have.If your going to set up stationary with a roof and power you have many options.The trick is to get as much of the parisitic load off your engine save that power for the band.The big bugaboo with bandmills is connecting the power between the moving carrage and the base.If your engine has an alternator your up and down could be handled by 12v.For carrage feed and log turner a motor driven hyd pump.This is a broad overview and not specfic.Time spent in planing and research is never wasted.On my mill I run a hydraulic pump off the engine for carrage feed and up/down it takes the power right off the top.The wisconsin 2cyl bailer engine has little to spare.we'll talk many of the guys here have good advice.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Foxtrapper

Bandmiller2

As of yet, I don't have any saw....still looking for one that will match up to my experience with the TH, which belonged to my FIL.  His son decieded I was having so much fun running it that he wanted it ::).  So i'm looking for my own now. 

Anyway, i'll have enough $$$$ to buy a plain jane in the spring, but need to be able to put power up/down, forward/reverse on it, hence all the questions.

It's funny that I haven't been able to locate any salavage yards on the net yet, that have scrapped mills.  Anybody have a site they'd be willing to share? :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Furby

You won't find very many mills scrapped out. :)
You sure won't find a salvage yard for anything other then old circle mills.
Even those are rare.

Fla._Deadheader

eed
ew
keyoard
::) ::) ::)

Remote
statio
we
uilt
total
volt
system

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Foxtrapper

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 22, 2007, 10:15:42 AM

eed
ew
keyoard
::) ::) ::)

Remote
statio
we
uilt
total
volt
system

Maybe Santa will bring ya a new one.... ;D.  I could read it alright, once I thought it through a few times ;D.

What part #'s did you use for the motors and pump?  You did a nice job on it from what I can see.  What brand of mill is it hooked too? :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Furby

Foxtrapper

Quote from: Furby on December 22, 2007, 10:59:08 AM
Brand name: Homey.

Is that HomeyBuilt ;D.  Looks like a nice mill. :)

I found a salavage yard that had some mills in it once, many moons ago.  However the site died with my old computer, and either I just can't find it, or, they nolonger have a web presence :(.
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Furby

Well if you find that salvage yard again, make sure you send me an IM with it's location! ;)

That mill was for sale at one point, don't know it's current status though.

Fla._Deadheader

Drive
motor
Leeso
3\4HP
12VDC

PWM
Driver
circuit
from
eay

up\dow
wormdrive
wich
with
12VDC
startermotor

Proaly
$450total
i
oth
parts
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Harold!!   What's happened to your computer??

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Pull some keys up.  I had to clean under mine the other day.  My hair keeps falling out and getting under the keys.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!