iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's in your stash?

Started by flip, December 19, 2007, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Starting to get low on my stash of wood I use for projects and what nots.  Right now I have some cherry, RO, poplar, ash, white pine (blue stained) and a few boards of hard maple.  I hope it freezes soon so we can get out in da woods and replenish supplies.  What ya got in your stash and how much?
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

jph

I have about 15 cu ft of English  Oak stored since 1987, too good to use though. ::) ::)

Larry

I have about 300 BF of curly cherry...but
Quote from: jph on December 19, 2007, 02:39:54 PM
too good to use though. ::) ::)

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

where do I even start. :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Radar67

I have about 3000 bdft of mixed hardwood (Red Oak, poplar, hickory) and some pine...

It's not enough  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

flip

I have been building custom pieces for a few people and funny enough none of them want red oak.  Cherry seems to be the favored wood along with pine.  Brother is getting an ebonized oak stand to put a flat screen and a couple of other electronic toys, can't hardly give the stuff away ::)  Have about 500bf of cherry, 2000bf RO, 200bf poplar, 800bf pine, 1000bf ash.  Would like to have about a 1000bf of each on hand all the time that's air dried.  Also on the wish list is some cedar, walnut, maple, qs white oak and a small smattering of some of the domestic exotics (sycamore, catalpa, elm, fruit wood). 

Dear santa,
I want a trailer full of clear logs with lots of figure for Christmas.
Phil ;D

ely

i have 3 large drying sheds full of wood of various types and sizes. it is too much to even guess. i could carry all the cherry i have in one armload. it would be easier to tell you what kind of wood i do not have that i want. ;D

metalspinner

Lot's of QSred oak - about 2,500bf.  1,000bf of qs white oak.  A few hundred bf qs sycamore.  Never enough cherry or hard maple. Just about out of walnut.  A little bit of ERC.  A good mix of hickory, ash, elm, locust, poplar, ect probably about 800-1,000bf.  Lots of soft maple.  That's all in the stacks out side or in the solar kiln and cut mostly at 4/4.  The shop probably has a couple thousand Bf mix of all the above kiln dryed. :D

Whatever it is that I need will inevitably be at the bottom of the stack. ???

Just the other day I had a heart to heart talk with wifey.  I asked her if she minded all the wood stacked out back.  She said, " I don't mind it because it makes you happy."  8) 8) 8)  That's enough to bring a tear to a man's eye. :'(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

I have 6 stacks of wood. One pile has a mixture of maple, basswood, butternut and cherry, mostly maple and basswood. Other pile is ash, other is yellow birch, another stack is white pine, another stack is butternut. That's what's upstairs, besides unstacked, heaved and tossed spruce all over the outside edges of those piles, what a mess. Then down on the main floor a big stack with mostly ash mixed with cherry, butternut and a few sticks of walnut. Some spruce sticks here and there on the pile and various sized sheets of hardwood and softwood plywood. Then some non milled basswood and elm round wood for turning and carving and maybe stove wood.  Oh yeah, two cords of mostly stacked and some tossed firewood to one side. ;D ;D

Then my scrap wood pile is piling up, I gotta try some of that segmented turning some day by gluing up some funky boards.  ;D

I keep feeding the stove with saw shavings to use that up. I just keep creating a mess as I work away at that table.   :D :D

One member commented on how hard that white ash is, they got that right. The edges of that stuff sure cuts like a knife.  It looks nice to....after ya sand the blood stains off. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oldsaw

Got a decent sized whack of cherry, a decent amount of walnut, some ash, oak, maple, sycamore, and a bit of Osage Orange.  Need to replenish the oak and walnut, but open to everything.  You just never can have enough good hardwood.

Mark

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Burlkraft

I got a bunch of old growth redwood, curly cherry, curly poplar, big leaf maple burls, 1 big walnut slab, 200 bf of hickory,
3000 bf of red oak, 1000 bf of red pine boards and about 500 bf of curly maple.....and a bunch of ugly logs  ;)  ;)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

red pine makes nice kitchen tables. Mom has one an old timer made 25 years ago. Solid as can be, made from 2" stock.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Daren

24" wide curly maple slabs, 20" wide 1/4 sawn curly oak, 500 lbs (?) burl of different flavors, curly walnut...then just plain old 20" wide walnut, 24" wide ash, etc.
If I ever learn woodworking I will make something  8).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

KGNC

I've got some red oak, hemlock siding, Hemlock framing (Saving up to build a barn), poplar, maple and some sassafras.
It may be a good thing I don't have a saw mill, I'd have wood everywhere.
I've got an oak that the top blow out of laying above the house. I was going to cut it up for firewood but when I saw how nice the butt log looked I couldn't do it. So I'll drag it out and haul it over to my buddy with the woodmizer.
Then I'll stack it with the rest, I've no real plans for most of the lumber, just like having it stacked in the shed. smiley_dizzy

Tom

KGNC, don't just cut it into 4/4.  IF you make some 2" or 3" stuff, it might encourage you to make some tables.  I took a lesson from an old-timer one time when he said, just cut me some thick stuff, I never have it when I want it and forget to ask.

dad2nine

wow everyone has cool stash - I've got some stash but nothing like you guys. I can't seem to keep the cool stuff around very long before someone want to buy it. I wise old sawyer told me not long ago, sell the so-so stuff keep the good stuff. I asked why and he said so you can sell it later. Then he took me in his "stash" barn and showed me stuff he cut like before I leaned to talk. I asked him if he would sell any of it he said nope not now I'll sit on it for a while longer. I guess I'm not wise enough cause I can't figure out for the life of me why I would want to keep it to sell later when I could sell it sooner  :-\.

Maybe one you you guys can set me straight?

Coon

It's just like money in the bank waiting for that special rainy day.    smiley_dizzy

I got about 5000 bdft of spruce in various dimensions all air dried ready to build a shop once we buy some property.  Also got 'bout 2000 bdft of clear select aspen 2"x8" and wider, 1000 bdft of clear straight grained white birch various widths in 4/4 and 8/4 all 8' 4" long.
zzzz_smiley
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

limbrat

Ive got a couple of hundred ft of mixed dogwood, sparkle berry, mayhaw and some other kind of haw thorn. Got a little water pecan you know the kind with the random black and brown spots in it. And about two thousand ft of stink oak its red oak that is shot full of black lines from the fungus that was attacking the living tree. It has dried for acouple of yrs but it still smells when you work it.
ben

crtreedude

Lets see, of wood that we have more than 1,000 BF

Spanish Cedar,
Laurel
Corteza
Seri
Pilon (I think - we have used most of it)

300 and up
Mahogany
Yema de Huevo
Caobilla
Tamarindo
Ojoche heart
And more than I can remember right now.

We just bought a new property (140 acres) and as usual, there are older trees that have to come down. Also, there are some on our original farm, and our second farm that need to be harvested too. And in about one more year, we start thinnings in the teak.  :)

Everyone loves Spanish cedar and laurel, which is a good thing since it is still available. The other is just available at times - depends if you find the tree and it is in bad enough health.

We are not selling any - we have a woodshop with 4 full-time people in it. Once it gets really going, it needs 2 to 4 thousand BF a week. The orders are already flowing in too!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

flip

Great to hear CR.  It is the coolest thing in the world to cut, dry and make something out of a tree you put your hands on before it hits the ground.  If I build a piece for someone I tell them what it was, how big the tree was, where I got it from the look on their faces when they realize boards just don't sprout out of the ground is priceless.

Part_Timer

about 1000 bf of mixed hardwoods, white oak,red oak,syc,elm,ash.  I also have 4 table top slabs just sitting and  waiting.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

crtreedude

Quote from: flip on December 20, 2007, 07:24:10 AM
Great to hear CR.  It is the coolest thing in the world to cut, dry and make something out of a tree you put your hands on before it hits the ground.  If I build a piece for someone I tell them what it was, how big the tree was, where I got it from the look on their faces when they realize boards just don't sprout out of the ground is priceless.

I have to say it is very exciting for me to see this. Our business plan was for about 5 years to this point, and now all the pieces are in place. Everything is running well and now perhaps, just perhaps, I might actually have time to relax. Now if I can just learn how it would be nice.  ::)

thecfarm

CR,it's great when a plan comes together.Good for you.Knowing you,you have another plan in the works.I don't have a stash,or nothing to brag about.Just some white pine and hemlock in various boards and 2x4's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

Quote from: thecfarm on December 20, 2007, 09:31:04 AM
CR,it's great when a plan comes together.Good for you.Knowing you,you have another plan in the works.I don't have a stash,or nothing to brag about.Just some white pine and hemlock in various boards and 2x4's.

Actually...  ;D My current obsession is with maximizing what we have and, believe it or not, horse power - i.e. equines. While growing the trees we find ourselves using sheep and horses as weedwhackers once the trees are big enough. Well, we end up with a bunch of fat horses that need excercise - gas and fuel is expensive, so we are shifting to using horses to haul things and I really want to see if I can put them to work chopping grass - don't laugh, there used to be horse drawn mowers.

It takes about 6 to 8 years before the canopy closes. During that time we can use between the rows for various things - papaya grows without planting and there are other things that only take a few years to get started.

We have been building a large pond as well for rainbow bass and channel cat.

Yep - I have ideas!

Thank You Sponsors!