iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Berfor Forcat 2000

Started by evergreenforestmgmt, December 17, 2007, 08:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evergreenforestmgmt

Here's another small scale machine designed for low impact harvesting.  Looks pretty cool.  They cost around $25 k which is pricey, and it probably can't haul a lot, but if you had a niche market for it, it's probably a good machine.  Also has a forwarding trailer that can hook up to the back of it.  Check it out @ www.radinter.com/radtech/anglais/forestery_division/berfor.htm

thecfarm

I saw that at a show.Quite the machine,but the price and what can and can't be done with it stopped me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

evergreenforestmgmt

Yeah, it definately would be something that would have it's place in thinnings where you didn't want damage done.  It would not be a high production machine, but I could see where it would have it's advantages.  It does seem like a lot of money, but I guess it depends.  You could concentrate on trees that were worth more, and wouldn't be so apt to damage residual trees.  I wonder how much the forwarding trailer is?  I had them send me the info just to see what it's all about.   Might be of interest to me.  I'm focusing solely on low impact and small scale equipment.

evergreenforestmgmt

30 hits and only 2 replies?  Come on people!! What do you think? :D

sprucebunny

I recently saw a used one for sale on a Canadian classified web site. $15,000

There is at least one other thread about these machines on this forum, but I don't believe that anyone here has done anything but look at them.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

barbender

I saw one at a show too- didn't see it operating or anything, I just looked it over. I think it's a lot of money for whats there, seems like it just had a big kohler gas engine. ASV makes a track rig now that I saw with a forwarding trailer hooked up behind it, but who knows what that set up would go for. I think the track trucks are in the range of $40k, without the trailer. But it's a lot more machine than this unit. Ha, now I'm promoting ASV, eh evergreen  :) ? The ASV's I'm describing are kind of like a cross between an ASV RC50 and a John Deere Gator or something. Tracked utility vehicle, I guess you could call it. These things could be slick I'm sure, but the size wood they can handle isn't typically high value. I'd be surprised if those smaller log loaders could pick much more than 1000 pounds.
Too many irons in the fire

sprucebunny

Barbender , are you talking about ASV's Scout ? Those look very multi purpose ! Don't cost much more than the Forcat, either. And you can get an enclosed 2 man cab for them.

barbender

Yes I am Sprucebunny- I was just looking on their site, look like their the same price as the Forcat, I figured they would be more. Actually some impressive specs, a 4500 lb machine with a 4000 lb hauling capacity, 5000lb towing capacity, 50 horse diesel. I'm actually pretty impressed, and I'm usually kind of hard on ASV. I found a picture of one pulling the forwarder trailer I was talking about, it is on tracks as well. It is on the construction and equipment guide site.

Kevin

I looked at them but they were too much money for me, they were up to $30K a couple of years ago.
I saw a new one at a show here and the tracks had premature wear on the wheels which didn't impress me.
Try a search, we have talked about them in the past.

evergreenforestmgmt

That ASV Scout looks like the ticket.  I'm wishing I called the thread ASV Scout now.  I think that the Forcat is neat, but way too much for what it is.  Does anybody know how much a new scout is?  Looks like you could put a log trailer on back, maybe a gooseneck set up or something.  That machine would work slick for my low impact operation.  I see the hydraulic remotes in front of the machine, I would assume that they have them in the rear as well.

Coon

I am building my own rubber tracked unit.  For the price of what they want for the Forecat and the ASV Scout they can keep em.  They are not exactly what I want in the first place.  Not that I wouldn't mind the Scout just that I can't buy one.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sprucebunny

The Scout is about $29,000 for the base machine. Cab, dump body and other things are extra.
Ground clearance is only 9+ inches compared to a foot for most smaller forestry machines.

evergreenforestmgmt

The ground clearance isn't much, but I think I'd rather invest in that machine over the forcat machine.  The hauling capacity and versatility are impressive with the scout.  I think once they put on the 3 point hitch, you could probably mount a small skidding winch or grapple set up and also a log trailer would be handy with the machine.  You would have to pick and choose your routes through the woods, but I think it would work slick.  I saw an article last night with a picture of a scout hauling a tracked log trailer.  Probably something they put together to try?  Who knows.  I definitely think that vs cost and what you get for what you pay, the ASV scout is a far better investment than the forcat 2000.

barbender

They had that Scout with the forwarding trailer sitting at the ASV outlet store over in Grand Rapids. It looked like a real slick set up for smaller wood. The loader wasn't real big on it, it looked like the size of the ones Bailey's sells for pulling behind atv's.

evergreenforestmgmt

Sprucebunny, in your pictures, I see you had a tow behind log trailer with loader.  I was wondering how big it was, what do you use to tow it with, and where you got it?  I'm looking for one to pull behind my tractor.  They seem to cost a small fortune, I've found.

Kevin

ODG has the Centaur which is similar.

sprucebunny

EGForest,
It's a Majaco 140 trailer. 14' reach. Got it used from a forum member. The expense wasn't in this years plan but the opportunity was there and I would need it eventually.
I haven't much experience with this set up, yet, as I'm still waiting for a couple of parts to be fabricated for the J5.
The J5 was made by Bombardier starting in the late '50s as a year round forestry and work  machine. Good used ones are available from $7000. I wish this had been a good used one ! ::) Bombardier also made a tracked trailer with a loading arm and some people have converted it to hydraulic from manual.

Dave Shepard

I can't picture it doing very much, or very fast with only 24 HP. A friend of mine bought an RC60 yesterday, he had been renting it all fall. It had to go back to the dealer for a repair and they gave him an RC50, what a dog without the turbo. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

evergreenforestmgmt

Sprucebunny,  that is a really nice set up.  I think that's the nicest J-5 I've ever seen.  I see them for sale time to time, but guess I've never really thought about them as a logging tool, but seeing yours, makes me think different.  That would be a lot more inexpensive than these other machines are.  How much would you guess your trailer weighs fully loaded?  And can the J-5 pull it loaded with no problem?  What does yours have for an engine.  I know where there is one that has a Chrysler industrial 6 cylinder.  It needs some TLC though. 

Where are you located anyhow?  I'm in Jefferson, NH so you can't be too far if you're in Northern, NH.

sprucebunny

EGForest
The trailer is rated for 10,000 pounds. It has alot of tongue weight empty. When you load the wood on, you can move the weight back some.  The J5 pulls it fine but I will be more comfortable when I have a blade on the front of it to help balance things.

This one has a 231 flathead Chrysler 6. The standard engine is a 251 flathead Chrysler 6. Almost any used machine from an individual will need work. Tracks are the most expensive item. The differential is increasingly hard to find and they are expensive, too. Most of the parts aren't very hard to find.
There are lots of J5s for sale in Canada. Brush up on your French  ;D

Coon

Bunny what is the ground clearance on the J5??  Just curious for comparrison sake.  Just working on the plans for my machine and am thinking of about 12-14 inches ground clearances as we do have some rough terrain out this way.

Are the wheels on the J5 off centered in the tracks or not.  I have seen some of the groomers and other tracked vehicles that way.  Alos how wide are they?  I am using 18 inch wide on my unit.

sprucebunny

Coon, the J5 has about 11" of ground clearance and symetrical tracks that are 16.5" wide.
I'd guess that the ground pressure was 2.5 psi, similar to the Scout. That's heavy for a 'snowcat' and it will need packed trails to work efficiently in snow. Of course, more ground pressure equals greater traction and pulling ability.

This is an early machine and originally had a light weight body/hull made of 1/16th " steel. Later models had a heavier body. Someone had gone over the center tub of mine with 1/4" steel. They had not armoured the differential housing at the front and I had to have that fabricated because it leaked so bad.

Coon

The ground pressure on my unit will be considerably lower than 2.5 psi when empty.  I don't have a clue as to what it will have with a load on.  Guess time will tell.  I redid some of the plans last night and I will have 13 inches of ground clearance.

jim king

Here is what I think is my solution to bringing out 200 pound cants  8 foot long about 5 to 8 miles now.  I got two small ones that will carry a ton a peice and a larger one that carries 2.5 ton.  We are just finishing building what we call a road and it is all done with pick and shovel for dirt moving and chainsaw for bridge building.  The three tracked tractors cost $10,000 for the group and needed very little fix up but a lot of paint and sanding.  Here are some photos.  If the bridges look crooked it is because they are.  We built them this way so a wheeled vehichle cannot enter as that is when the stealing and problems start.

Don K

That's alot of work by hand. Kinda reminds me of all the tunnels, trails, and roads the Viet Cong built during the 50's and 60's.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!