iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

16" Heaviest tire available, FYI

Started by Ironwood, December 17, 2007, 08:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Just wanted to inform the readership about a recent find. I have been searching for the toughest baddest tire for my tandem trailer, occasionally used to haul very heavy loads. I have looked into changing to the 19" supersingle available on some new trailers, but the lug/ stud diameter is off, so then onto what is available to the market in 16" that is not a "LT" (light truck tire), the side walls continually flex and eventually the tire fails. What I found is a tire (the only tire made in this size) that is a FULL steel casing and can handle the REALLY heavy loads. It is made only by Goodyear, it is a   G series and is comparable to a tractor trailer tire. I bought mine from my local commercial tire guy. If you want a NO BULL, no sway, load the $#%# out of it tire, this is it. Not cheap, but when the DOT guys come up behind and there is no sway and that is worth some $ to me. Nice addition. They are available in a 225/ low profile vs. 235. The guys tell me some of the heavily loaded service truck one tons run these due to sidewall failure on LT tires as well.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don_Papenburg

What is the tire #   Is it load range G 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ely

we use the g171 on our trucks at work. they are very tough.

some folks here run the aircraft tires and i think they are 22 ply tires or something like that.

Ironwood

I'll look in the morning, it is dark and 18 degrees here (Farenheit). Brrrr

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

scsmith42

Reid, while you're reading the tire info can you also check to see what the actual weight capacity is?

Thanks!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gary_C

I put those tires on my 3 axle flatbed gooseneck some years ago. I believe they were called G 159's back then, but may have changed to G 171. The ones I used were LT235/85R16 with a G rating of 3750 lbs per tire. You also have to get rims rated for 3750 lbs.

Reid is right, they are one tough tire. Originally developed for UPS trucks.

But they are not cheap. Even some years ago, they were almost $200 per tire, but worth every penny. I was running those worthless 9-14.5 tires that are rated at 3250 lbs. and most would not last one trip with a full load. Goodyear even bought back my used 9-14.5's because they were tired of replacing them under warranty.

Never had one problem with those G 159's.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

scsmith42

That's good to know.  I've got 12K axles on one of my trailers, and finding low profile 16" tires with a high load rating has been a challenge.  Unfortunately, it came with chinese tires, but they've surprised me and held up well thus far. 

When it comes time to replace them, I'll look into these Goodyears.

Reid and Gary - thanks for the info.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

Mine are G-149's and the are 225/ 75/16 and are lower profile than the 159's, that effects the weight rating substantially, mine are 2800#, as I recall the 235 was around 3700#.

Scott you may want to look into the super single 19" low profile (rated around 6500#) with a custom rim. You could then run only one tire on each hub. I will be doing this with this project in time. It will most likely be a pull behind  (bumper pull) or possibly a removeable gooseneck that could could be either (I like engineering challenges). My 12' bed would require an extended gooseneck frame.  ;D

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!