iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2007 Forestry Forum Christmas Contest Sponsored by LogRite and Rust Reaper!

Started by Jeff, December 17, 2007, 05:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Every year here on the Forestry Forum we try to have a Christmas contest and each year we try to do something a little bit different. This year, things are quite a bit different. This year, we're going to focus on the spirit of giving. So if you win, your actually winning for someone else of your choosing. Member or Non-member. You decide.  :)

Its the easiest Christmas contest ever to enter. Just post in this thread why you are entering and a little about why you want to win this for someone else. You don't have to say who you are going to give your gift to if you win, but you can if you want to.  Thats all there is to it. Tammy and I and the other available admins will look at all the entries that we receive by our deadline, Noon this Sunday, Eastern Standard Time and choose the winners. We will post the name of the winners here sometime on Christmas Day.  :)

This years prizes at this time are a LogRite Tools Canthook, a LogRite Tools Hookaroon and 4 Rust Reaper Value Packs.

A big thanks to LogRite and Rust Reaper for helping out with this years prizes!

Merry Christmas to all of you from Jeff and Tammy, Chet and Tom, Ron and Ron, Ianab, Paul and Kevin  8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

I am entering because I have friends in need..........

I have one laborer...friend who has a really short cant hook and when he turns logs on my mill he really works hard to get it done. I really hate ta see him workin' that hard for free  :D  :D  :D

I also have friends that need Rust Reaper for lubing camera's and fixing really expensive Chevy Parts.....Besides Scott Smith outbid me on last year's RR auction...... ;) ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

bugmeist

I'm entering this years contest because a few years ago we decided that we received too much, didn't actually need most of the stuff we received, and knew there were lots of folks out there who actually needed things more than us.  Soooo we convinced all our family, friends, etc (all the folks that gave us stuff) to determine how much money they would spend on us and each other and donate that amount to the charity of their choice.  So now around Christmas we eat, drink (just a bit) and be merry with family,friends, etc knowing that folks less fortunate might have a better Christmas.

I know of several hard working folks in my area who will appreciate any of the prizes if I "win" the contest.

Best of the Season to all!

Bob
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

SwampDonkey

Well you know I gotta say something.  ;D

First thanks to Logrite and Rust Reaper folks for offering up the prizes. I have products from both and they are great.  ;)

Now to get on with it...

I'm entering this Christmas contest because I have 'well and plenty' as grand mother would put it. I figure a member of the community could find some good uses of both these products. I already gave away some nice timbers so I figure a cankhook or hookaroon would come in handy around a mill as could some rust reaper to spruce'n up someone's mill operation.

I don't have a poetic license and elegance with words as some of our esteemed members and probably a lot less hair.  :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sgtmaconga

The person i'm doing this for is my sawmill buddy and dad. Dad is in his 60's and a master carpenter. He was raised in the swamps of lousiana. He has laid hands on more wood than I will ever see. I have admired his work for years. Dad is my father in law from my first wife and a good friend of mine for over 20 years. I thought he was not long for this world until we started talking about me getting the saw mill. He followed my research and now loves nothing more than finding a new log for us to cut. As you have seen we started a barn and watching him helping me plan and build this from wood he cut on the mill he is a man who is visiting his youth.

you can not know the joy it brings him every time we get to "work" on the mill.
Measure twice cut once

Stump Jumper

Thank you to Log Rite and Rust Reaper for the donations. :) 

It is always fun to see who wins the prizes.

If I were to win some rust reaper I would give it to Furby because after he sits all winter in front of that computer his joints are gonna need it. Being that he is getting a little older now. :D ;D

Good luck to all and I know that y'all could find someone that could use one of these gifts.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

scsmith42

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 17, 2007, 06:02:03 PM
Besides Scott Smith outbid me on last year's RR auction...... ;) ;D

Steve -  ;D  ;D  ;D  I noticed that you ommitted to mention that you kicked my tail in the Metalspinner Christmas ornament auction...

Jeff - great idea!  I'll put some thought into a response and post later.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Wallys World

Thanks to Rust Reaper and Log Rite for the donations!

The person I would give this gift to would be my cousin Kenny. He is my age and doesn't have a way of income. His physical condition doesn't let him do a lot of jobs that he would like too. He does do what he can all the time. He helps me an my wife around our place and my 78 year old aunts place by mowing the lawns (which takes about 3 hours on a good day), hauling firewood in the Gator, going out in the woods when we are pulling logs, around the mill and general gopher. He tries and sometimes I don't know how he makes it. He doesn't have a vehicle so he depends on others to get him around. Between us and my aunt we make sure he gets to the store and other places. He sur ewould appreciate any of these items which would help him when helping us.

Merry Christmas to all!   :)
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Nailhead

If I were  to win, I would give the goodies to Pasbuild because he is too cheap to buy these for himself. ;D ;D

Merry Christmas to all!
NH
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

SwampDonkey

Quote from: stump_jumper on December 17, 2007, 11:45:30 PM
If I were to win some rust reaper I would give it to Furby because after he sits all winter in front of that computer his joints are gonna need it. Being that he is getting a little older now. :D ;D

Just wait until your forty Furb and you won't be laughing.  :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Johnson

I'm entering because I truly believe it is better to give than receive.  I've been fortunate in life and have few needs, if I can bring a little joy to someone else this season so much the better.

I wish each and everyone of you a blessed Merry Christmas and a Happy prosperous New Year.
Bill

Roxie

:)

If I win, I want my prize to go to sgtmaconga to give his 'dad'.  That would feel GREAT!
Say when

Warbird

If I win, I'd give the item(s) to someone from church, using the opportunity for fellowship.  Might even give it to one of the guys who doesn't attend all the time, cause they are working really hard.

Thanks to the guys at Rust Reaper and LogRite for the donations.  You guys rock.

ps. After this week, I have the holidays off and will finally get to try out the Rust Reaper I bought a few weeks ago.  Will let y'all know how it works!

metalspinner

For seven years now, I have been bringing my logs to Jim.  Jim is on his second Woodmizer.  He flat out wore the first one out.  He is my dad's age and is supposed to be semi-retired.  each time I'm ouit there I will ask how retirement is treating him and he just kind of chuckles.  He has always found time to squeeze me into his schedule and  has never gotten upset about hitting nails, cables, or eyebolts in the logs that I bring him.  Sometimes I get in his way when "helping" around his mill and never has he gotten irritated with me.  His way of doing things is slow, determined, efficient, and right.  At the end of the day I always ask, "What do I owe you?"  He eyeballs the stack, kicks the dirt a bit and gives me a number.  Never have I doubted his figuring.  Then I ask, "How about the blades?"  He will say, "That's already figured up."

One time for kicks, I counted up a stack of cedar he eyeballed.  He was within 5BF out of 800BF!

Last year he had a mild heart attack and was down for quite a while.  That scare changed some things that he will do.  He doesn't want to handle the really big logs anymore.  We take more breaks through the day to sit down to visit.  I remember once we took a break and went to get the little cooler out of the truck.  I had packed some soft drinks and Snickers bars for a snack.  I offered him a Snickers to which he replied, "Naw, I don't eat that kind of thing anymore."  So he meanders on over to the vegetable patch and yanks a turnip out of the ground, rubs it on his jeans and starts enjoying it. He offered my a slice... :o  He just kind of snickered at me. ;D

Each time I'm at his place he checks out my two Logrite peavy's.  "Where'd you get that?" he asks each time.  So I give him the web address (he doesn't have a computer) and tell him the Co-op started carrying them.  I guess other things are higher on the priority list at the moment.  He has plenty of things rusting away on his property. His big tractor has been down for a while.  He had trouble tracking down some parts.  A 55 gallon barrell of Rust Reaper might get him started unlocking what is frozen up around there. ;D

Sometimes I will print topics off the forum for him to enjoy.  The "Biomizer" thread has been of particular interest to him.  His life is so much simpler than mine.  Sometimes I wish I could back up and do things his way. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Raider

I am entering this contest to give any winnings to a FF member that openened his heart and let us stay with him while on vacation in Maine! I did not know this person and his wife, but, because I was a FF member he let us stay in his "Cabin" and we enjoyed a wonderful meal his wife made for us! This is a fine example of giving that I would like to return. ::) Merry Christmas "Pappy"  Raider

ely

i would like to throw my hat in the ring. as others before me i would like my winnings to go to sgt. macs dad or to metalspinners pick. try as i mite i can not find anyone around me that is even close to them, i mean i have my dad who could use a cant hook but in reality he can just walk over 20 feet and snatch up one of mine. :)

Tom

I know of two local members who could use the log handling tools and would have to make them a present.  There is a friend of mine who refurbishes and rebuilds old sawmill equipment.  I'm sure he would be pleased to get some rust reaper.

isawlogs

First I would like to thank all involved with the Christmas  gifts...

I have a friend who , a few years ago was down on his luck and had no money to put toward insurance on his place . While away trying to get a job , a fire broke out in his tool shed . All that was left of the tools was a pile of iron and a few balls of aluminium , those where his saws , I left him with one of mine , an 038 that I had gotten in trade for a 026 , I was not using that saw then and I knew he would be needing something to cut some logs to get a new shed going . Well it took him some time to gather a small pile of logs , enough anyways to get wood for a building up to put his futur tools in .
  If I am honored with the pleasure of passing on one of these prizes , it is to him that they will go , knowing very well that they will have a place good home, and will be used as they where made too .

Too all , a merry Christmas  smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

This is a differant contest.I can only think of a couple people that I know here in the state of Maine that I would give one of the gifts too.But I can think of a couple members that would enjoy the Christmas gifts too.They are all great gifts to have around a sawmill or equipment that needs some repairing done on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

I am very thankful for all that I have especially my health.  My oldest brother is not so fortunate.   He is in his mid fiftys and has had two back surguries.  His first was in his lower back from an industrial accident when the rung of a ladder broke while lifting a large pump housing.   Last year his upper back started giving him trouble.  He lost all feeling in his hands and fingers.  Could'nt tighten a nut or handle wrenches because he could not feel them.  This last recent surgury fussed 4 vertibre in his upper back.  The doctor expects him to have a 50 percent improvement.

He really enjoys milling lumber and has a Lucas with slabber.  Only last summer he came down and slabbed a huge oak even though he was having back trouble.  He built some bunks for his lucas and can turn the logs but could really use a good cant hook.   He is a Vietnam vet and has served us when he had his health.  It would be great to return the favor and be able to lift his sprits with something he could really use.  What a great product.  If I were to "win"  I would give the cant hook to Big John ---brother, friend, vetran, protector of our country,  and sawmill enthusiast.  Since he is out West here in Calif and with the degree it would lift his spirits, he would be instantly converted to a Logrite local liasion for getting the word out for Logrite!  As the FF "winner" I would also document all of the excitement with a few photos to post and show off the new blue beauty.

Merry Christmas and thank you Logrite for your generosity!

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jrokusek

Thanks LogRite and Rust Reaper for the prizes!

I know Jeff is going to pick the winner...but Jeff, why don't you just keep the prizes for yourself?  Seriously.  You've certainly earned them!  I can only imagine the hours you put in when the server crashed earlier this year, the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you got word that the data was probably lost for good, the overwhelmed feeling you most likely felt as the e-mails and calls rolled in with people like me asking what you were going to do. 

Seriously....polish up the canthook and hookaroon and hang them in your house to remind yourself of the countless hours you and others worked to get the forum running again and the data back from the abyss.  If it wasn't for you keeping this forum running I wouldn't have met all these good people and wouldn't know much of anything about sawmilling and certainly wouldn't have built a homebrew sawmill. 

So, Jeff, if for some reason one of these prizes winds up on my doorstep I'm going to send them straight to you.  Thanks for all that you do!

P.S. - I'd really like to see a picture of that hookaroon tip burried in the old server.

theorm

"I'd really like to see a picture of that hookaroon tip burried in the old server."

Jrokusek - great idea!
I would like to second the nomination for Jeff to receive the prize. He certainly deserves it!!!!!!!!
He probably looked like :o after sifting thru the ashes of the old server. And did a lot of  :'( while doing it with a  >:( on his face. Lots of time was spent thinking  :-\ and more  :'(. Let's put a  :) back on his face.

Theo  ;D
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

woodhick

Well I'll enter my story.  I know a few people in need but none of them are into milling or would need rust reaper.  Several years back I would have had a perfect person for the gift but he passed on.  One of the greatest men I  have ever had the pleasure of known. His name was Harvey McDowell.  When I met Harvey I took some logs for him t o saw for me.  I was 14 years old(had help from dad and uncle) but had already been bit by the sawdust bug.  Harvey put up with me for a lot of years and helped me get my first mill when I was 20.  He was the most honest and soft spoken person I have ever met. Needless to say I learned a lot more than milling from Mr McDowell.  It was a very sad day when Harvey had to sell his mill due to helath reasons, he was 84 years old.  He passed away a short time after that.   Next in line  I would nominate my helper (dad).  He will be 70 this year and can still offbear all day (8-10 hours).  I have tried to get him to run the woodmizer and let me offbear but he won't do it.  I could never do enough to repay him for all he's done for me over the years.  However I have a logrite hook and could (and should) purchase another since dad always grabs my old wood handled one and leaves the logrite for me.  If I won I would sort of agree with some others, the gift should go to Jeff to keep or auction off for support of this forum.  There is so much information and help here and it feels like family.  Many thanks to the sponsors for the gifts and I wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

CHARLIE

I'd like to enter and give the prize to someone that can't afford but really could use it. At the moment, I don't know who that is but might work with brother Tom to see if he knows someone. I know he does. :) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

farmerdoug

I want to first off thank Logrite and Rustreaper for the donations.

I have thought about this for awhile and I have decided if I win it will go to a member on the Forum.  I will not say who as it depends on the gift.  Other than that I am glad to be able to be in this contest at all.  That in itself is a great Christmas present too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!