iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Pump for high pressure water circulation

Started by Nate Surveyor, December 16, 2007, 09:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

Where could I get a water pump (110v) that would circulate water, through my wood stove, into the top of my big auxiliary water tank (older water heater, that is not hooked up to power, but is hooked with water running through it, into the functional one)

This would effectively pre-heat the water coming into the water tank that is presently heating the water. Causing it to turn on less, and allowing me a larger volume of hot water.

My water system is set up to kick on at 45 LBS and off at 65 LBS. (yeah, I like higher water pressure systems!)

Any thing to reduce the gas bill, Gas is now around 3.00 a gallon, and when I installed the aux water heater, I had intended to somehow heat it, solar in summer, and wood in winter. But, never found a suitable water circulation device.

Does anybody know where one exists?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Nate

I know less than I used to.

sprucebunny

A circulator such as would be used in a hot water heating system should be good for that pressure. They are available in different flow rates. Google Taco  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

farmerdoug

Why don't you just use a water to water heat exchanger.  Remember if you are running your water through the furnance that you are drinking this water.  If you are not sure then use an heat exchanger. 

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

ibbob

What you need is called a side arm water heater.  Ma Nature moves the water, no additional pump required.  Have to have a tempering valve on the outlet of the second tank to control the temp at the tap.  Should find them at most places that sell boilers.
Bob

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

RSteiner

I have a woodstove in the cellar that has a coil inside it to heat hot water.  I moved the hot water tank close to the stove and connected the cold feed on the bottom of the coil to the cold water inlet on the tank, then connected the hot water out of the top of the coil to the top of the hot water tank.  There is a temperature/ pressure blow-off at the outlet of the coil and the top of the tank.

This set-up does not need a pump to circulate the hot water out of the coil, hot water rises and pushes its way to the top of the tank causing the cooler water to enter the bottom inlet of the coil.  The water circulated very well and when the power went off but the stove was still burning the water circulated just the same reguardless of the pressure in the water system.

I would think you could get the same results as long as there is a temperature difference at the outlet and inlets.  A hot water heating system circulating pump would provide the flow necessary if you need it.  One thing to take into consideration is the GPH of the pump too high a flow rate will prevent the circulating water to get all the heat it can from the stove.  A circulater with a temperature actuated flow switch will help if you need it.

Randy 
Randy

Nate Surveyor

Thanks Randy.

I think the LO tec solution of BIGGER pipes, may be the one I need. With a blow off valve, that opens when it gets too hot. I was looking at some of the old tractors, that had NO water pump. Heat convection was it. So, no parts to break.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

DouginUtah

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on January 29, 2008, 09:17:48 PM
Bell&gosset and Grudfhos also make good pumps

I know there are members here who swear by Taco pumps but I have had a bad experience with one and would never buy another Taco pump. Aside from the fact that it failed it was also very noisy. Grundfos pumps are so quiet you can hardly tell they are running. Same with these Bell and Gosset pumps. The pictures show the FIVE pumps I have installed (one is above and behind the expansion tank, pushing the water back into the Munchkin boiler). Since I have in-floor heating I have a Tecmar valve/circuit (blue knob) to reduce the water temperature to under 140° F for the floor but can run the water for the baseboard heaters at 180° F.

Oh, the pumps are (1) boiler system loop, (2) two baseboard circuits, (3) Tecmar valve circuit, (4) In-floor heating, and (5) indirect water heater.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. I really need a steadier hand or a tripod.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Thank You Sponsors!