iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The first major snow storm of the year here

Started by farmerdoug, December 15, 2007, 08:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

They are telling us that we could get 12-24 inches of the white stuff between now and Monday morning.  If we get it as predicted it will be a heavy one that we have not seen in quite awhile here.  I like snow but this maybe a little to much.  I do have the TLB fueled and ready to clean if needed but I hope it misses us.

Hows are you guys faring south and west of Michigan where the snow is already falling?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Fraxinus

We've had snow on the ground here in NH for quite some time.  Got a couple of storms this past week and it's about knee deep already.  This storm coming may give us another foot or so.  Sometimes the more they talk, the less we get.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

farmerdoug

So far the storms have only given us 2 inches at most with all of it melting in the sun.  I only hope it does the same this time.  We have not had a 2 foot storm in years and it sure would make a mess around here if it happens.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Reddog

I could do with no snow from this storm.
But just in case.

Handy Andy

We got 7" in Kansas where I am.  A big drift right in front of the garage where the wife parks.  Made a path this afternoon so she can get out and go to Walmart tomarrow.  The ice storm gave us 4" of rain, so we are in good shape for moisture now.  If the snow would just set where it fell, would be great for the wheat, but it hardly ever does.  Snow seems to always be accompanied by wind, so it winds up in the roads and the crick.  We have a bridge being replaced right now, the bridge is done but not the dirtwork, so instead of driving 2 miles to feed the cows, it is 8 miles around, because of mud roads, and the stupid city has their stupid gate closed so the water is backed up across a low water bridge, so I didn't bring the tractor home to move snow.  guess I got that off my chest.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Coon

Hey there Reddog  That snowblower you got mounted on that tractor originated from this area.  Shulte is only 6 miles from here located in Englefeld, Saskatchewan.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

That will move some snow Reddog.I have a 54" Provonust snowthrower on the back of my BX Kubota.That does a good job.Calling for a foot here.Wind chills are down to -10.So far it looks like a slow storm.Only have about 3 inches so far.They was calling for an inch an hour.Don't look that way right now.We only have about 6 inches on the ground before this storm.All the snow we got this winter has been very light.This one might be differant.The wind will pack it down some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Hey Reddog......That's one nice set up  ;D  ;D  ;D

It's about time you guy's got some of this stuff......we've been diggin' out fer a month almost
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sawguy21

Steve, I hope you are keeping the digging down to a minimum. Don't be pushing that ticker, we like having you around. ;D Maybe a snowblower on a tractor with a heated cab will work on your list to Santa. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don K

What kind of snow mover is that hiding behind the tractor?

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dave Shepard

We been getting a mix of snow and sleet, plus some pretty good wind gusts. Starting to get some small drifts. Our local newspaper is almost as bad as the weaher channel for hyping up the weather. Here is a typical week of headlines:

Day 1: Giant Snow Storm Headed for Berkshires!
Day 2: Berkshires Braces for Giant Snow Storm!
Day 3: Berkshires Hit by Giant Snow Storm!
Day 4: Berkshires Shovels out From Giant Snow Storm!
Day 5: Berkshires Still Reeling From Giant Snow Storm!

And  that is just for the boring 4-8" storms, if we are going to get a 1'-2' or 18"-30", they don't know what to do with themselves. ::) The ice really can be an inconvenience, but the snow really isn't that big a deal.

Dave

Don K, I saw that too, you can't hide iron from us equipment junkies. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

The 'big one' just started here around 10 am. Just real light stuff so far, looks like a NE'ster so they are our worst. Sometimes we get ice in those storms. Says there will be some along the Fundy Coast. I'm 160 miles north of there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

We only got about six inches. The wind is blowing good. But the sun is shining now.

Shulte makes some pure rugged stuff. I would keep that rig in the UP at a cabin we used. If you hadn't been there in two weeks you could have 2 feet of snow to move. With the 7 foot width, one past down and back the drive was done.
I have moved frozen county banks with it many times. It just chews thru them.
You have to watch using it. If there is a lot of frozen bank, it will take the bark off trees close to the driveway.

The old iron is a non-functioning AC HD-7 with a Garwood blade.

farmerdoug

Foot plus here and still snowing and blowing.  This should get the deer yarding in our woods for sure.  Now if I can get up the gumption to take a walk with the muzzleloader this afternoon I may get one.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

Well we ended up with about 14 inches of snow.  But boy did it blow, alot of bare spots out there and alot of spots with 2-3 foot drifts.  I guess I will be plowing for awhile today. 

How are the rest of you guys faring?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

We have 4 - 8" here so far. Suppose to end this morning with afternoon flurries. We have wind, but not heavy wind. We had sleet most of the night beating against the windows, but not warm enough to have rain.

I say 4 - 8" because on the driveway and roadway there was not quite 4" and in front of the shop there was 8". So take it from there. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I would put it at 10 inches here . With the wind blowing the drifting snow will be lots of fun to move  ::)  The wind here has 'bout a fifty miles to pick-up snow and drop it on me ...  Maybe some day I will get wise and get me a blower for here ... One with a cab and steering , front mount would be nice , no more neck lockups . Then again , i could get going on the pick-up fix-up and be in a heated cab to do this  ::) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

weimedog

My normal shift is Four ten Hour days..Starting Tuesday Nite/Friday Morning at 3:00AM untill 2:00PM and ending Friday Nite/Saturday 3:00AM untill 2:00PM Saturday..so I thought I was a side lines observer...Untill the phone rang Sunday at 3:00..need more trucks on the road..So I plowed from 5:00PM yesterday until 2:00AM this morning in total white out conditions. The "drive by brail" method never is fun. All I could do is stare at the spot the "Air Craft Spot Light" on my truck could let me see...and look for the ridges or clues to things like guard rails and last storms snow banks! No kidding. I had one hill where a homeowner made a huge snow pile along his side of the road clearing out his parking area and drive..the snow filled in from the top all the way across the road when I got there at 1:00AM. FORTUNATELY it was a steep hill and I was going down. I still had to power thru that drift with all the traction and power my 400hp 56.000 lbs (More like 64,000 loaded the way I was with salt!) 10 wheeler plow truck could generate with the rears locked in. Good thing I was going down that hill! Two other hilles were so drifted in I had to go up with the "wing" up and "one way" down only as I didn't have enough power and traction to handle both one-way and wing plows..then go back and clean up with both plows. Two trips per hill.

So yes..I saw the storm.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Engineer

We've gotten about a foot in the past two weeks.  The storm we got over the weekend turned out to be a mix of about every type of precipitation known to man, except maybe hail.  It's not a lot of snow, but it's been many years since I've been having to wade through this much white stuff before Christmas.  I guess the good and the bad go together, it's slowed us down work-wise, but a little slow-down isn't all that bad once in a while.

thecfarm

We got about 8 inches,I guess,with about 2 inches of hard stuff.Kinda a good thing the way the wind is blowing out there.I don't have much trouble with the snow drifting here.Does alittle bit between the 2 fields,but not tonight.But up on the hill we look at is some bad all the time.The town use to put up a snow fence and than add another one on top of that one.Now I don't even know what one looks like.probaly been 20 years since I've seen one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

weimedog, that gets really entertaining when the wing plow catches a guard rail doesn't it.  ;) Stay safe everyone. Looks like it will be a wet green Christmas here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 18, 2007, 10:32:57 AM
Looks like it will be a wet green Christmas here.

That's looking possible here as well.
All depends on how much rain we actually get.

SwampDonkey

Sorry Furb, your with the rest of us, knee deep or deeper for the duration.  :D :D

Furby

Yeah, their pushing even heavier lake effect then they were before for Monday. :-\
Calling for 40° and rain for Sat. and Sun. with temps falling through Sunday.
Looks like it's gonna be messy back home........ good thing I'm laying on a nice warm beach! :)

SwampDonkey

Possibility of rain here Sunday, but switching back to snow. It'll have to flood the place with rain and 60F to take the snow we already have.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!