iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison Heart Recipe

Started by Norm, December 15, 2007, 05:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I got a nice tender yearling doe today and saved the heart for me to cook. I was wondering if you folks have a favorite way to prepare it.

LeeB

i cut it across the about 3/4" thick, then dip it in egg and milk, dredge in flour salt and peppered to taste, and frie it like onion rings. Good stuff.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

same way we do it.  :)  (after soaking in salt water over night in the fridge then rinsing)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

I cube it , put it in a bol with fresh chopped garlic , pepper , worstcessour  ;D sauce let it sit for a few hours , heat up a nice cast iron pan , get some butter heated up and fry the cubes .
  I will then get some mushrooms going and have a few taters in the oven .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DWM II

I also like it steaked out about 3/8 thick and cooked in a brown gravy with lots of onions.
Stewardship Counts!

LeeB

I tink most everything cooked in Louisiana has a version with gravy in the recipe. The thing I miss most about not working in the G.O.M. off LA. is the coonass food.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Trim off all fat around the top of the heart and cut off the top.
I then keep sliceing my heart across so it looks like the number 8. 

Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and sometimes a little chilli powder in my flour.
pat the heart slices in it and fry in an iron pan.

Usually served with mashed potatoes, corn and big grins.

I carry a backpack with me when I hunt.
In it you will find:
My drag rope.
Latex Gloves.
2 way radio.
Matches.
Bottle of water.
Granola bar.
Apple.
Book, (usually Lamore).
pice of plastic to sit on when I stop to drink water, eat and read (usually Lamore)
and a ziplock baggie to put the heart in when I field dress my deer.

I used to just leave it in the carcass but an animal cools faster with everything removed.

Jon

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Thanks for the great ideas folks. I'm going to try them out tonight when I get done grinding up the deer for the freezer.

Weekend_Sawyer

Norm, you aren't grinding the tenderloin and the backstraps are you?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Nope, I hog those for myself. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!