iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Potential availability of old heart pine boards/posts

Started by scsmith42, December 15, 2007, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

A good friend of mine has been asked to demolish an old fertilizer plant / warehouse that's south of Raleigh, NC.  As near as we can tell, the building was built in the 1920's or 30's.  The entire construction is of southern yellow pine.  The building footprint is around 60' x 120' (may be longer - I did not pace off that direction)

The main support posts are smaller than I would have expected - around 5-1/2" square.  There are 26 posts that are 18' long and 26 posts that are approximately 40' long.   

The wall interior siding is shiplap - 2" thick and random widths of 6" - 12".  The floor boards are either 2" or 3" thick, also random widths between 8" and 12", with splines between the boards.  The stud support in the walls appears to be 3" x 8", with some 8" x 8" interspersed.

I could not tell what the roofing planks were, but did observe that there were a number with waterstains on them.  They are probably the same as the wall siding (2" x 8 - 12")

If anybody is interested, the wood could probably be had for little or nothing, as long as my friend was not putting forth the labor and equipment to remove it.  If labor and machinery is contributed by my friend, then he will need to make enough to offset his labor and equipment costs.

There will be a very narrow window with which to acquire the wood, otherwise it will meet Mr. D9 and Mr. Trackhoe soon.

Send me a PM if you know anyone that may be interested in the wood.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!